Guest viewing is limited

TKR 2nd new knee, not the same as the first

Status
Not open for further replies.
My spot is lower right part (lateral) of the knee. The area pretty much where the skin is still numb. That is where I get a little "pinch" going down stairs or steeper slopes on the golf course. Otherwise it does not bother me at all and is nowhere near the pain I experienced B4 TKR.
 
:):wave::friends:Hi Linda Thanks for your nice post. Hope you are having a nice painfree day. I think it took a few weeks for the back of my knee to calm down. I had that feeling before surgery to couldn't let the back of it touch anything laying down very painful. The surgery area was very sensitive to clothes or bedding touching it. Went around with my shorts pinned up to keep them away from it this drove me a bit crazy. My surgeon recommended using vitamin e I used the cream Jamiesons I think and it seemed to help but not till after totally healed up. Made the area feel less dry and soft.

The day that I went to the hospital to have my staples removed I noticed when getting into the car that there was a spot down the insision that was open small about 1/4 inch scared me but it did heal up but that was where my sore spot seemed to be all through. I had the numbness down the outer side of my leg felt tingly and rubbery like. I have just noticed now rubbing that part is now feeling different. I have the feeling back and feels like normal again just a few months past one year surgery was April 26/2013. First time

I did not really get my medication sorted out stopped taking the strong medication at 8 weeks when I started to drive found taking cabs was way too expensive hurting the budget so much. The surgeon understood how much pain I was in I think but did not want to give me more I had been taking oxycontin think that was the name and so frustrating to try to get refills so after the 8 weeks just took tylenol probably should hae had more of the prescription medication but never found they worked.

Now starting the process to have my left replacement bone on bone and painful but one thing that has helped is taking Celebrex. Realized how good it worked when stopped taking it for a week and a half and noticed the pain had started again. I have never taken any thing other then tylenol during my life but this was a new experience. Wish there was a miracle medication that they issued to patients of this surgery that was not so restricted. Hope this post is not too long but so nice to be able to share our feelings and experiences. I know how much this forum helped me through the rough days and the support and friendships made eased the feeling of wondering if your were handling it wrong. Wishing you the very best. As they told me it does get better had my doubts at the beginning but it did and happy the surgery has helped so much Holly As you said no two knees are alike and as my first knee had a few rough spots hoping my left one is going to go a little easier and will achieve a bend easier than this time. Holly
 
Last edited by a moderator:
:)Hi Linda You deserve a break . You have been through major surgery and this surgery takes a toll on us physically and emotionally as well. I understand how you feel I cried so many days and felt that I should be moving along better never knew that flex measurements were so important this early . This was how my leg started to swell so much thought if I could get the measurement they wanted things would be less stressful. My knee always felt very warm actually very hot and found the ice made everywhere but the knee cool. I think you are doing alot found that even going up and down our stairs or things that would have seemed easy before wore me out quick. The best thing my surgeon recommended was to suspend pt and try massages. Wow what a difference .

Cried so much less and came home feeling like I was progressing. I am sorry that you lost your job at the bank I lost my long term job just before my first visit to have a check up for my leg. The company that I worked for 38 years was sold and building was closed up. Surgeon said no option but replacement so the time was right. I also have a very supportive caring husband and how their care makes us feel better. He took care of me and never made me feel like I was not handling it ok. Wishing you:yes: the best and take some time to rest and be kind to yourself you will make it through this with flying colours. Happy to hear you went to the concert and had a nice time :flwrysmile: Holly
 
@Phil75070 the part you identified is where I am starting to get feeling right now and boy is it causing me a hitch in my giddy-up! My PT today told me I really need to be aware that I am starting to almost drag my foot because I am trying to avoid a pinch and a pulling in that same area each time I pull my foot up. He thought it was the outside of my patellar tendon. He had me doing a lot of walking today so I can unlearn the habit of turning my foot out slightly so I don't have to pick my foot up so far.

On a better note, I was measured today in PT. In my extension I started at 10 three weeks ago and have gone all the way down to 2. Yippy Skippy, I feel like I have made some progress and the best part of this week so far is I am not over-doing anything!
:cheers:
 
@lavender
Holly, your message made me cry and smile! The tears were good tears though. My friend gave me a picture of a saying that I look at when things are tough. I tried to insert the picture but couldn't load it up. It says:

"People cry, not because they're weak.
It's because they've been strong for too long."

I have been my family's strong shoulder to lean on for many years. My husband says it's because I am the first-born but I think it has more to do with my type A personality (control-freak:driver:). He has to remind me that sometimes I need to lean on others instead of doing it on my own so I am learning to be a little needy.

A massage sounds wonderful! My daughter and I took a mini vacation last summer to Manchester, VT. The first day we spent at the Equinox Spa getting massages and it was so relaxing. I think I just might see if I can get a massage next week, that would really help.

Hope you have a great day:friends:
Linda
 
:yes::):loveshwr:Hi Linda I am happy your tears were tears of joy sometimes we just need to release and as someone said here tears are a way of our bodies healing itself. I lost my Dad 2 weeks before my surgery. He died after a long 3 year struggle and the the events that took place have been very hard to get past. Died at 85 away from his home and wanted to so much to come home. After a stroke he was placed in a nursing home up North from us an hour drive each way only home available. Cried so much during this time needed to keep an eye on my Mom she had both knees replaced the second one two months before my surgery . Felt guilty when I could not drive for a while as I had to get back to driving to help her get around. My Dad was wonderful strong kind and my Dad was very brave during this so he was my inspiration. I know he was with me during this time and looking out for me.

I loved going to the massages. Won't say they were pain free he really worked on my leg and all it could get a bit sore but he kept an eye on me. Always told me I should not leave with more pain then I came with should have less. The massage guy worked on physical part of the benefits from massage and talked to me took my mind off my leg for a while . Believed no pain so much more gain. So much nicer then the pt I had been going to and during the time with him having massages I went from 50 degrees up to 90. Left the hospital with 85 and with the amount of pushing dropped to 50 degrees. Going to ask to start these massages earlier next time probably won't cry as much felt so much happier this way. Wishing each day gets better and better for you. Wishing you a wonderful painfree day Linda . Holly:ok::):flwrysmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@lavender - Holly, I am so sorry about your Dad. You and your Mom have experienced so many emotional things at once on top of the the trauma of surgeries. I am sure he is with you and watching over you always. I hope you and your Mom are remembering the happy times with him, it sounds like he was a special person.

It sure is hard worrying and caring for elderly parents; my mother in law has had a very tough road the past three years and is now in a hospice-like home. She is a two and a half hour drive from us and my husband tries to drive out there as often as he can on the weekends. Since my surgery, I haven't taken the trip as even a 20 minute drive for me is uncomfortable right now. We do talk to his Dad every day and when Mom is having a good day we also talk on the phone to her or use Facetime. Unfortunately, her good days aren't as often as they used to be. It is heartbreaking to hear her say 'I want to go home' as she does not understand why she is there. She is in the late stages of Alzheimer's and has been totally bed-ridden since last October when she was still living at home. Losing her a little more each day has been devastating for my father in law, we worry about his health too as when he was her caregiver before hospice, he neglected his own health (he has heart and other issues). We are fortunate that my brother in law and his wife live only 15 minutes away from Dad and it's about a half hour to get to Mom for them. I am sure if they weren't right there, we would have moved them here to our area. Driving there and back in a day so many times takes its toll on my husband and I worry about him.

I had a pretty good day yesterday, I had PT on Thursday and Friday with the physical therapist in the group that helped me rehab my first TKR (others are on vacation). He gave me some new exercises that I do lying down. They are working on my quads, hamstrings and my core and I am tired after those and the other exercises on the machines! It's a good tired though and my knee is not hurting me! The area of pain in the front medial portion of my knee appears to finally have calmed down, the only discomfort is muscular as I continue to stretch and build back all of the things that atrophied and shrunk.

I hope you have a good weekend Holly, I hope you have something nice planned for yourself.:puppysmooze:. Here's a long-distance sloppy kiss from my puppy-dog. He knows just how to make me smile and feel better. The best thing we ever did was to adopt this guy; he was a rescue puppy we got at 5 months old about a month before I had my first TKR.
 
:wave:Hi @Linda Thanks for your kind post. You are right it is hard seeing parents deal with the things that happen as they age. My Dad could still walk amazing and they were amazed at how much he enjoyed riding a bike his legs were still strong. He rode his Harley Electra Glide motorcycle until he gave up his license think that when that freedom is gone sometimes it is when things change for them.

Drove each day and hour each way and the highway we had to take has a reputation for so many accidents the weather during the winter there was unbelievable so many whiteouts. Gripping the steering wheel up and back but knowing he was alone if we didn't.

So many of the days we werent sure it was safe were the days that we realized he really needed us there and one day his walker went missing. My husband went out into the hall and tried to track it down no one knew where or saw it. Someone had taken it and it was locked in a washroom he would have went without it otherwise that day needed it after his stroke for support in case.
Loved him so much he never made a fuss did not want to upset anyone but knew it broke his heart to be so far away and ours to. When he died I was told I could have his walker I had purchased one never thinking he would die before surgery and hoping he would still need it for himself. I kept the name tags that I made for him on it in his memory still his and many at the hospital still remember him as being the patient man he was.

So good to hear that your pt is going great. The way that each pt handles the job they do makes a difference in the way their patients look at it. The massage therapist I had was very positive and always encouraging he did not know all of the facts of how the surgery went but told me that the surgery I had was major and that I was doing ok. During the time I saw him they had a new baby and he brought in pictures of his daughter and we talked about our families. Thanking you and your wonderful dog baby for the big kiss and how much pleasure they bring to our lives. Hoping your pain has decreased or better still disappeared and wishing you a wonderful weekend. Holly
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@lavender - Hi Holly, I haven't been on for a few days. Your post about your Dad was so touching :hugzz: , my parents are across the country in Arizona, but I am on the phone with them every day. They used to live here in New York state, but moved to AZ ten years ago. It's tough not seeing them often, when they lived here we were only 45 minutes away. My Mom was very ill a few years ago and she went from being a vibrant woman full of life to someone clinging to life in a few short months until she had open heart surgery to repair two valves and atrial fibrillation. It took a long time for her recover and she still sees a heart surgeon and pulmonary doctor. Up until 3 years ago, they would come back to visit and stay for the month of June. We would also go out once or twice a year to see them. After her surgery, they haven't made the trip back. They will be coming next June for my niece's graduation though, so I hope everyone stays healthy.

PT is going well. It will be six weeks since surgery for me tomorrow! The only problem I have still is with walking and my knee cap pulling over to the outside of my knee. I have been doing scar tissue massage 3 times a day to see if that helps, but no change yet. I discussed it again with my physical therapist today and she said to give it another week. If nothing changes after all of the walking, PT, scar massage I have been doing, then it is time to call my OS to see what's up. I don't have another appointment with my OS until mid-September and I certainly don't want to wait that long.

I don't have any problems in PT on the bike or with any of the exercises I do, just with walking. My ROM is really good at this point too; My flexion is better than 120 (last time I was measured was about 10 days ago) and my extension at that point was 2. I think I have that down to 1 or zero now, it's gotten better too. So, with all of this being so good, why do I still walk funny? It hurts to walk and the more I walk, the more it pulls and hurts. I don't know what it is, but I didn't have that feeling with my other knee.

I know I sound like I am complaining, but it doesn't matter how much I can bend and straighten my knee if it hurts when I walk. The pain isn't too bad, but it jumps from a 1 to a 6 after a walk down the street, even a short walk. I am still having some very minor swelling, but nothing bad, and I ice and elevate after walking and PT and at night. During the day, I am still not doing too much either, so I don't think I am over-doing.

Only 1 day left until your appointment Holly, I am sure you are a bit nervous for it to finally be here. I will be saying a prayer for you on the 30th and wishing good thoughts. Linda
 
Last edited by a moderator:
your op was in tkr terms, pretty recent--June 17 @Second Time Around . Remember you are still healing. The walking will come. It can be odd that some things come quickly for one person and more slowly for another.
 
@kneeper, so is it too early for me to worry about this pulling feeling? It doesn't matter if I walk 10 steps or 100 steps, that same pull is always there. I was reading elsewhere on the BoneSmart site and saw other people mention a tight band feeling, but honestly that is not how I describe it. I was thinking it might still be related to the scar itself and of course that is still healing.
 
Hi Linda Sounds like you are doing great. Your flex 120 is wonderful. I had the same feeling walking with a bit of a limp and felt like I was not walking straight pt said I was walking trying to keep weight off my right knee I was it hurt. Walking improved more and more as time went by and just takes some time. Nice that your pt is going good . It is hard to see our parents having stuff happen happy to have had the time with my Dad and know he is taking care of me. He was so patient and hard to understand how he ended up being the one that started to have health issues ok up to a year before it happened. Nice to hear from you and hope things just keep getting better and better. Tomorrow is my appointment crossing my fingers that things go well. Holly
 
@Josephine could you look at this issue? (mentioned in post #50) If the kneecap is pulling is this something for the OS to evaluate?
 
I have been doing scar tissue massage 3 times a day to see if that helps, but no change yet. I discussed it again with my physical therapist today and she said to give it another week. If nothing changes after all of the walking, PT, scar massage I have been doing, then it is time to call my OS to see what's up.
I think it's more than likely that massaging it is contributing to the problem.

I'm going to ask you some questions and it would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually, numbered as I have, in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] 2nd new knee, not the same as the first
)


2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how often are you icing your knee and for how long?

4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?

5. What is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. what kind of PT/exercises are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! Reps, sets and session and all that)

Note:
If you're not familiar with this, it goes like so:
1 lift of a 500kg bell bar = 1 rep or repetition.
Doing 5 reps and then a brief rest = 1 set of 5.
And doing 5 sets and finishing = a session.
 
@Josephine, here are my answers:

1. what are your pain levels right now? 1 to 2 usually, except when walking. When I walk, my pain goes up to a 5 or 6.

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?
Tramadol- 50 mg, 1 or 2 tablets 4x a day (prescribed), but now I only take one 50mg tablet now once or twice as needed (especially after I walk).
Tylenol 1,000 mg 4x a day
Ibuprofen 400 mg 3x a day (usually skip in the morning)


3. how often are you icing your knee and for how long? 3 or 4 times a day, more if needed, for 45 minutes to an hour. (In addition to icing my knee, I ice my buttocks area at the same time for recently diagnosed piriformis syndrome on same side)
4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long? When I ice, I elevate, so 3 or times a day, sometimes more. I also elevate when I am sitting downstairs in my home and I elevate at night before I go to sleep.

5. What is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness) I was last measured about 10 days ago at 120 degrees flexion and 2 degrees extension, I know my extension is almost zero now.

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc.,
My activity level each day includes:
1. Walking my dog in the morning for 1/2 hour. It is more walk and stop than straight walking. I just started doing this about 5 days ago. I use my cane to walk down the driveway and up the driveway, when I am on the street, which is flat I do not use my cane, I leave it behind. My driveway is on a slant and it hurts me more to walk down the driveway than to walk up it.
2. When I shop, I use a motorized cart at the store and I only pick up a few items two or three times a week. My husband is still doing the major shopping.
3. I do laundry, usually 1 load a day which is upstairs at the bedroom level of my home. I usually fold the clothes while sitting on the bed. I put all of the clothing away, which means I am walking around upstairs where the bedrooms are located.
4. I spend time in the kitchen each day making my breakfast and lunch and sometimes I help my husband with dinner. I am on my feet for each of those no longer than 10 - 15 minutes at a time.
5. My home is on two levels so I normally take the stairs about 4 or 5 times a day. I walk up and down using just the railings.
6. Cleaning - I don't do anything too strenuous yet, no vacuuming. I do things like loading or emptying the dishwasher, light dusting. Nothing that keeps me on my feet for more than 10 -15 minutes at a time a few times a day.
I have not used my cane at home for about 2 weeks now. I do use it when I am out and about because of curbs, parking lots, etc. and in my driveway.


7. what kind of PT/exercises are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! Reps, sets and session and all that)

Every day, three times a day I am massaging my scar for two or three minutes each time. I have a very ugly, lumpy scar at the bottom two inches that makes a decided veer towards the medial side. The end of the scar at the bottom is about an inch more medial than the top. I do massage with my two index fingers, crossing over the scar, on either side of the scar and in opposite circles on both sides of the scar. The only area that is painful during massage is those last two inches where it is lumpy. Once I am finished massaging that area, the pain goes away.

At home, on days I don't have PT, I only do light stretching and I use a towel to do calf stretches and tighten quads. I do two sets, 5 reps per set, 3 times a day.
I also lay on my bed and do a passive hamstring stretch 3 times a day for about 10 minutes each.
For my piriformis syndrome, I use a foam roller on my buttocks 2 x a day and I do stretches laying down in bed 3 or 4 times a day. I can't get down on the floor to use the foam roller, so I put it up on my couch and roll there!

I have PT 2 or 3 times a week (Mon/Wed/Fri or Tues/Thurs) alternating. (I refuse to do PT two days in a row, I feel I do not have enough time to recover if I do it every day).
At this time (today was six weeks post surgery), my PT routine each time is:
1. 10 minutes of heat to warm up my knee and leg front and back
2. On the table, on my back, 2 sets of buttocks lifts with knees bent, 15 reps each
3. On the table, on my stomach, straight lift leg off table about 8 inches and hold for 5 count, 2 sets, 15 reps each
4. On the table, laying on my back, with a 55 cm ball, with both feet on the ball, walk it up to my buttocks and hold for 5, walk it back to full leg extension and hold for 5. 2 sets, 15 reps each.
5. Recumbent bicycle, 5 or 6 minutes, with varying degrees of resistance (pre-programmed). I just started using resistance the last two sessions. Before that it was 5 minutes, no resistance at my own pace.
6. Leg presses using both legs at once, 2 sets of 15 reps, increased to 40 lbs this week (up 5 lbs from last week)
7. Standing calf raises, 2 sets, 15 reps each
8. Practice walking the past two weeks with heel to toe, cane and no cane, just for about 2 minutes. Up until last week, I had been dragging my leg a little bit and turning out my toes.
9. Rest back on the table with ice and elevation for 10 to 15 minutes. I go home and ice and elevate more after that as well.
My physical therapists are wonderful and do not push me to do anything that causes pain. Back in week 3 I hurt myself trying to get up without my cane at home and my PT sessions that week were short and consisted of doing only exercises that caused me no pain until I felt better.

Walking is the only activity that causes me pain. I have a sharp pull to the outside of my knee every time I pick up my leg rolling from heel to toe and then picking up my leg.
Thank you Josephine for your assistance and feedback with this, it is most appreciated!
Linda
 
Last edited by a moderator:
1. what are your pain levels right now? 1 to 2 usually, except when walking. When I walk, my pain goes up to a 5 or 6.
Gotcha
2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?
Tramadol- 50 mg, 1 or 2 tablets 4x a day (prescribed), but now I only take one 50mg tablet now once or twice as needed (especially after I walk). Tylenol 1,000 mg 4x a day. Ibuprofen 400 mg 3x a day
Not bad but I'd suggest you take a Tramadol before you go for a walk.
3. how often are you icing your knee and for how long? 3 or 4 times a day, more if needed, for 45 minutes to an hour. (In addition to icing my knee, I ice my buttocks area at the same time for recently diagnosed piriformis syndrome on same side)
4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long? When I ice, I elevate, so 3 or times a day, sometimes more. I also elevate when I am sitting downstairs in my home and I elevate at night before I go to sleep.
For my piriformis, I sat on ice packs all the time - blissful!
5. What is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness) I was last measured about 10 days ago at 120 degrees flexion and 2 degrees extension, I know my extension is almost zero now.
Jolly good!
6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc.,
My activity level each day includes:
1. Walking my dog in the morning for ½hour. My driveway is on a slant and it hurts me more to walk down the driveway than to walk up it.
2. When I shop, I use a motorized cart at the store and I only pick up a few items two or three times a week. My husband is still doing the major shopping.
3. I do laundry, usually 1 load a day which is upstairs at the bedroom level of my home. I usually fold the clothes while sitting on the bed. I put all of the clothing away, which means I am walking around upstairs where the bedrooms are located.
4. I spend time in the kitchen each day making my breakfast and lunch and sometimes I help my husband with dinner. I am on my feet for each of those no longer than 10 - 15 minutes at a time.
5. My home is on two levels so I normally take the stairs about 4 or 5 times a day. I walk up and down using just the railings.
6. Cleaning - I don't do anything too strenuous yet, no vacuuming. I do things like loading or emptying the dishwasher, light dusting. Nothing that keeps me on my feet for more than 10 -15 minutes at a time a few times a day.
I have not used my cane at home for about 2 weeks now. I do use it when I am out and about because of curbs, parking lots, etc. and in my driveway.
Considering you are only 6 weeks out, you're doing far too much. I'm made some suggestions on amendments. And if you have pain you should use a cane!


My comments in bold
<start>PT/exercises
Every day, three times a day I am massaging my scar for two or three minutes each time.
- this is unnecessary. It makes no difference to your scar whatsoever and might even cause an inflammatory response. Massage post THR

do your exercises once a day

At home, on days I don't have PT, I only do light stretching and I use a towel to do calf stretches and tighten quads. I do 2 sets, 5 reps per set, 3 times a day.
passive hamstring stretch 3 times a day for about 10 minutes each

For my piriformis syndrome, I use a foam roller on my buttocks 2 x a day and I do stretches laying down in bed 3 or 4 times a day.

I have PT 2 or 3 times a week (Mon/Wed/Fri or Tues/Thurs) alternating. (I refuse to do PT two days in a row, I feel I do not have enough time to recover if I do it every day) - good!

At this time (today was six weeks post surgery), my PT routine each time is:
1. 10 minutes of heat to warm up my knee and leg front and back
2. On the table, on my back, 2 sets of buttocks lifts with knees bent, 15 reps each
3. On the table, on my stomach, straight lift leg off table about 8 inches and hold for 5 count, 2 sets, 15 reps each - this exercise is contributing to your knee pain: stop it
4. On the table, laying on my back, with a 55cm ball, with both feet on the ball, walk it up to my buttocks and hold for 5, walk it back to full leg extension and hold for 5. 2 sets, 15 reps each
5. Recumbent bicycle, 5 or 6 minutes, with varying degrees of resistance (pre-programmed). I just started using resistance the last two sessions. Before that it was 5 minutes, no resistance at my own pace. - no resistance yet, maybe in week 8 or 10
6. Leg presses using both legs at once, 2 sets of 15 reps, increased to 40 lbs this week (up 5 lbs from last week) - do - no weights, it's much too early and contributing to your knee pain
7. Standing calf raises, 2 sets, 15 reps each
8. Practice walking the past two weeks with heel to toe, cane and no cane, just for about 2 minutes. Up until last week, I had been dragging my leg a little bit and turning out my toes.
9. Rest back on the table with ice and elevation for 10 to 15 minutes. I go home and ice and elevate more after that as well.<end>
 
Thank you Josephine, for your advice. I am implementing your suggestions starting today.

I had PT late yesterday and the physical therapist thought it was time to call my OS about the pulling in my knee when I walk. My next appointment with the OS isn't until Sept 23 and that is nearly 9 weeks away, way too long to wait if something is truly wrong.

I called the OS this morning and left a message with his secretary; I need a Tramadol refill and this is the reason I need to continue with this Rx. If I wasn't having this issue, I think I would be just fine with just Tylenol and ibuprofen.This pain is cutting into my sleeping through the night again. I was sleeping 6 or so hours straight and this week I am now getting up around 3:30 in pain. I am a very grumpy person when I only get about 4.5 hours of sleep. :yawn: Oh well, perhaps cutting back on the over-do items Josephine suggested will help to put everything back in balance again.

Waiting to hear back from the doctor's office now...
 
Hi Linda I feel your frustration about getting a refill. Dealing with the secretry who has probably no idea how much pain you are dealing with is very frustrating. This surgery is not something many people understand. Unless the person you are trying to get help from has had a surgery of the serious nature they have just no idea. I hope your surgeon can see you sooner that is a long time to wait when something about your knee is just not feeling right.

During my last surgery time I never felt like the prescription was doing anything never felt any relief kept expecting that one time it would kick in and then things like sleep would get a bit easier. I mentioned this to him at my 6 week appointment after surgery when he espressed his concern that I seemed to be going through more then he though ok only seemed to pick up prescription and then needed to place order for more. We need to have some way of talking directly to our surgeons after surgery they would understand more if they could talk to us when things go wrong as they go wrong.

Know they are busy but this way they could adjust what we are taking by the effect they were having on us If medications are not working they would hear from us not leaving us to talk to just talk to a machine to explain our situation. Hoping that you get an answer soon even for just some peace of mind maybe things are ok and just want to be told that. Hoping for good news for you and a chance to see your surgeon sooner. Holly
 
If I wasn't having this issue, I think I would be just fine with just Tylenol and ibuprofen
Unlikely. My pain actually got worse at 6 weeks which is where you are now, so I upped my pain meds considerably for a couple of weeks. Overall, I took them, full whack, for about 3½ months. This was my routine during that time. You might want to consider trying it. (paracetamol is Tylenol)

[Bonesmart.org] 2nd new knee, not the same as the first
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom