TKR 2nd knee done 10 weeks after first knee totally different

Sounds like you are doing amazingly well.
Congratulations
I am 12 weeks post surgery on just one knee and would struggle to actually go to work. I have just done a few days of video work from home and that was tough enough. I haven’t tried driving yet- so really impressed with your progress.

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Now that you've been back to work for about three weeks, how is it going? I hope your boss is still supportive if you're needing a break on occasion.
Take good care and have a nice February!
@jth6578

Work is going good. PTis cutting me loose after this week even though I don't go back to my doctor for another two weeks. My physical therapist thinks my legs are where they should be and because of my back issues I am better off walking with a walker and it isn't safe for me to walk with a cane and she thinks it won't ever be safe for me to do so. I tried to talk to her about and I mentioned I feel like my lower back is weak and I need to drink to strengthen my core. she said the leg exercises were doing that . So I dropped it because she got defensive no matter what I said.
I think I just need to get my back stronger so I might go back to the physical therapy place I was going before for my back. I went to this place because my doctor recommended it but it is not equipment like the other place is. The other place has even bars and actual stairs to practice on.
I am going to ask my back doctor if I can back to physical therapy for my back when I see him in two weeks.
I am hoping soon I can go to the personal trainer I have talked to. He thinks he can help and get me walking without anything in about 6 months. The only thing stopping me from hiring now is I have to get my car fixed. So I am hoping by summer or by the latest fall I will be able to hire him.
Luckily I have more people that believe in me than that who don't believe in me.

I am going to ask my back doctor if I can back to physical therapy for my back when I see him in two weeks.
That sounds like a really good idea. Let us know how it goes.

Always good to have those that believe in you. Hopefully your doctor thinks a little more PT may help you.
Stay in touch and let us know how things are going for you. Thanks for the update!
@jth6578

I had busy week. Tuesday I skipped PT because it was early session before class and decided I wasn’t going have time so I canceled. I went to class, pick up my friend and then did few errands, dropped off my dog at the dog sitter’s house. Drove 5 hours to my Aunt and Uncle’s house to surprise my Uncle. We had cake and he went to stay the night at his sister’s house because he was leaving for Florida the next day.
Wednesday we got late start again and went out to breakfast. By the time we were ready to leave it was getting late and we were Expecting ice storm where we live. So my friend called her Dad and her Dad agreed we should stay another night. So we got nails done and then we walked around department store at the mall. I think we walked more than a mile. We went out to eat and went back to Aunt’s. We got up kinda late yesterday and packed the car made Wawa run and left I had to work at 3 but was 45 minutes late. I used my can in my aunt’s house since her house was really small and has tight spots where a walker wouldn’t of worked.
I was suppose to have PT yesterday but postponed until today. It was my last appointment and I don’t see the doctor for almost two weeks. Which is kind of annoying but she was happy with my progress specially today with the cane I was walking better with it today than usual.
When I go to the back doctor I am going to see if I can go back to PT for my back. I’m going to go to the other PT place I went to before because they are more equipped for PT for my back than my current place. I just gotta keep doing my exercises until I see my doctor.

Wow, that was a lot of activity. Hopefully you did well without pain, swelling etc. The five hour car ride is enough itself let alone all else you fit in. I hope PT helps with your back. Stay in touch and take good care!
@jth6578

Drove 5 hours to my Aunt and Uncle’s house to surprise my Uncle
Sounds like you are doing amazingly well.
That's a long drive.

Wow, that was a lot of activity. Hopefully you did well without pain, swelling etc. The five hour car ride is enough itself let alone all else you fit in. I hope PT helps with your back. Stay in touch and take good care!
@jth6578
We made two stops on the way down and one stop on the way back. No big issues.

I have to say really love my Doctor.
My physical therapist released me from PT on the 24th of February. She thought I was donebecause everyone with knee replacements only has a certain about of PT and therefore I will probably never walk with a cane safely. I didn't believe her tried to have reasonable discussion about it but blew me off. Even blew me off when I complained about my knee. It didn't feel right that she could just say that.
Today I went to my doctor he did x-rays of my knee that were bothering me and everything came back ok I just have to go for a blood test to roll out an infection otherwise it is just tendinitis. Which is common since I am moving a lot more.
This is the reason why I love my doctor. He said because of my back issues I am starting farther back than anyone else with a knee replacement and he knows I am not done with PT because I am not walking at least with a cane. So he is sending me back to PT but I asked if I could go to a different place for PT. He agree with me that would be better for me too. I told them I also needed PT for my back and hips and core and agreed but since I am seeing my back doctor tomorrow he is going to let him write a script for PT for my back.
I see my back doctor tomorrow morning so I am going to get him to write a script for PT and send it to the same place so they can do both for me. I am super excited about it. I am just glad I am not crazy for wanting to continue PT. I am really glad my doctor believes I will walk with at least a cane.

Glad you love your doctor. That certainly helps!
Happy Four Month Anniversary, Lefty. I hope you have a great rest of the week! :wave:
@jth6578

I am excited I start PT again at the place. Well I have been there before for my back when I needed PT. I can't wait to start again.

Good Luck! Go slow and let us know how it goes for you.
Enjoy the rest of the week!
@jth6578

So I finally restarted PT. I was sure I would like her but Wednesday was our first session. She gave me exercises to do at home which was good then on Friday when I saw her she had me do different things at PT and told me to do the exercises gave me at home.
My old PT just did the same exercises every time and they were the same exercises I did at home.
Friday we did stuff on the stairs and on the even bars. It made me feel good that I changed PT. She is a little tougher but she doesn't have me do anything that is too painful she does work me a little harder but not in a way I can not handle.

Sounds like a plan and great that you made adaptations such as picking another PT.

Often we are afraid to speak up and consider other option. Every PT is different. Awesome that you have both TKRs so close. There are advantages to that for sure!
Thanks, I have had many health issues so have learned to advocate for myself. I know what I am capable of doing and I need help getting there so I need to work with people that are willing to put the time and effort I put in. If I don't get one I will find it with someone else. I need people that will help me and believe in me. I am not willing to change my willingness for anyone. I have worked to hard to get here.

Ten months today, I got my right done. I had to change Physical Therapists again, but I finally found the right one.
My other physical therapist was almost working against me. I have other issues besides my knees. I have back issues, and because of two back surgeries and parathyroid surgery, I have extreme muscle weakness. So my last two therapists decided it was more work than they were willing to do, passing it off as this far as I can go.
Back in April, I was walking with my cane, and I missed stepping and fell. She would let me really walk with a cane again which made me nervous to walk with a cane. I usually walk with a walker. She released me before I went to my back doctor.
Luckily I knew both my back doctor and the orthopedic doctor would write me another referral for PT. My orthopedic told me as much when I saw him last. He even said I am starting farther back than most because of my issues. I went to my back doctor he agreed to send me for PT for my back because my shoulder blade was bothering me and he agreed my back needs to be stronger overall.
My friend had recommended one PT place. I was able to get an appointment right away and I love my physical therapist. He is helping with my back and legs. I told him when I graduate from college I want to be able to drop my cane and walk across the stage without anything, so I can surprise all my friends and family. Kind of drop the mic moment. He said he will get me there. I think I will be graduating in May 2025.
I finally have someone that will really help me this time. I don't think he will give up on me. Little nervous he will decide I am too much work but I am going to keep working.

and I love my physical therapist. He is helping with my back and legs. I told him when I graduate from college I want to be able to drop my cane and walk across the stage without anything,
You have a brilliant attitude and I am sure you will succeed!
You have done so well so far having two knees done and having back problems.
I have just had one done. I am interested in your back issues as I also have lumbar arthritis and spinal stenosis.
Have you had any surgery on your back and did it help at all?

when I graduate from college I want to be able to drop my cane and walk across the stage without anything, so I can surprise all my friends and family.
I love this! Keep the faith and you will get there.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Happy2024
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom