Guest viewing is limited

2013 October Feisties - Are you having knee surgery in October?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scheduled for LTKR on 10/21 - six weeks after RTHR! The hip has been a "walk in the park," but from everything I'm reading on this forum, I'm afraid the knee is going to be much more difficult. For example, with my THR I was walking without any aids on day 5 post-op. Very little pain after day four. By week three I was walking at least half mile, no limp. I'm in my fifth week, and doing yoga, exercise classes, swimming.

Much of my success is attributed to having the direct anterior approach, which is the only way to go!

Has anybody else had a THR followed by a TKR, and what was your experience/comparison with the two procedures.

I should add that I am in good physical condition, not overweight, and 58 years young.

Thanks for helping me prepare for TKR - I'm dreading it!
 
I have brought the October list forward so that you can easily see who your surgical buddies are.

Welcome to our latest and all October Feisties!

[Bonesmart.org] 2013 October Feisties - Are you having knee surgery in October?


Feel free post your surgery date in this thread, and I will add you to my list. However, please start a thread of your own in the Pre-Op Knee Section to share this journey toward knee replacement and to chat with other members. Here's the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting


01 October 13 @tcbabe, @judgar
02 October 13 @JASPER (revision), @knees2themax (her second)
03 October 13 @DAJ
07 October 13 @rosieJ (her second), @NewsMan22, @I'm so ready
08 October 13 @kato670, @Bustario, @alimck
09 October 13 @knees, @joycegoodrich, armywife
11 October 13 @paulagan (her second)
14 October 13 @55beachgirl, @Twinsanity (bilateral)
15 October 13 @RubyVee (her first), @Sqrlvr
17 October 13 @trueblue56 (right knee), @seantomtom, @jeanneteresa
18 October 13 @Baystater
21 October 13 @mistytlk, 55beachgirl
22 October 13 @naina, @GMCCARTNEY (her second), @bestinshow
24 October 13 momd
28 October 13 @Serenity12 (bilateral), @1Malka (bilateral)
29 October 13 @Kissy
30 October 13 Kasey (bilateral), bill g
31 October 13 @newlinda
 
hi gang, has anyone had a nerve block with their surgery and is this a good option for pain?
 
I'm having btkr on the 24th.

So nervous. Have read many of the positive brave people's comments. Of course very worried about the pain and possible nausea. Just had my shoulder cleaned out in sept. so I would have 2 good arms. I haven' t really seen how people feel the first couple of days. New to this site so am probably in the wrong spots. Have decided to make a list of things I can't wait to do when recovered to keep a positive attitude. Plus my wonderful families pictures. My best wishes to you all!
 
mistytlk - I had the femoral block with spinal for my RTKR. Block worked OK overall, did need some attention from anesthesiologist on day two because of an occlusion but it was otherwise a non issue and helped control pain. It seems to be the usual way to go here in the US.
momd those of us who have been through it remember that fear factor :scary:But if it is any comfort to you in retrospect my biggest issue was just overall recovery boredom. I was ready to burn my couch at the end of the first month...but I didn't, it's really a very nice couch! Pain was not an issue for me. And, I never had a problem with nausea with any of the pain meds. I am four days away from LTKR and it is amazing how calm I am. I honestly don't have any pre op jitters - I'm anxious to have it done and have two good knees.

55beachgirl - from everything I've read recovery from TKR is bit more challenging than with the hip, but mobility will come. I came home from my RTKR on day 5, was up the stairs that first day for a nice long shower. I have 16 stairs to climb but let's just say clean hair is a big motivator :hairpulling: Used a walker upstairs the first two weeks mostly for midnight strolls to the bathroom, otherwise crutches downstairs. Progressed to one crutch week three, then to a can by the end of that week.

Best wishes all - new knees are awesome :)

Heidi
 
Thanks Heidi,
Also wondering about going right home after hospital stay, or going to a rehab center. Funny after having my shoulder clean out done last month, and sleeping on the recliner couch, I decided to try a hospital bed for when I get home. My daughter in law ICU nurse told me our bed is too high. Gave my last blood donation today. I too am having the hip nerve block. Had one for the shoulder, great for pain but didn't care for the dead weight feel. But I will take that for some pain relief!
 
I had the option of going to a dedicated rehab floor in the hospital but for me coming home was the best option. Of course it depends on one's home situation and physical needs, but I really benefited from sleeping in my own bed (which I did from the start) and the visiting nurse and PT who came 2 or 3x weekly for over a month. The home are was a great support system. One of those rare situations where both the patient and the insurance company benefits :angel:
I plan on coming straight home this time around also.
By the way my daughter is also an ICU nurse! It certainly is handy isn't it?
 
Surgery date is October 30th for bilateral TKR. I'm very excited to have this opportunity to get my life back!
 
Thanks baystater for your encouraging words. All I'm hearing is that you are like a baby without good legs. I'm told I will not be able to use the bathroom or get out of bed without assistance for awhile, so the facility would give me time to get to those goals. Went and visited a facility which was very nice and plan to make a final decision when they are going to discharge me. As you said Heidi I am looking forward to a wonderful new life with my new knees. The therapist I had for my shoulder will be my outpatient therapist when I get that far, which is comforting. How have your days been, pain free? Ha! My best to you all.
 
Don't know where Heidi came from, so sorry, meant kasey.
 
tomorrow is the big day.just wanted say good luck to everyone.will let everyone know how i did.still very nervous hope i can sleep tonite
 
Thinking good thoughts for you. Will be watching for you!
 
I had my TKR on my right knee on October 9. I am a 41 year old Mom to two young ones (5 and 8) and a 1 year old black lab. I've also been a proud Army wife for almost years (married my college sweetheart). I had a rough couple of weeks, but things appear to be looking up during this phase of my recovery. It has been an interesting process.

Heather
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom