Guest viewing is limited

THR 2 yr update

I walked fifteen to twenty minutes, just around the house and outside but every two or three hours, concentrating on heel/toe walking.
Great you are getting along so well.
Hard to ice when cold...but it's what we need. Glad my recovery was during a heat wave:heehee:
 
My son got me an electric Sherpa blanket for Christmas- I have had it over me while icing, gives me best of both worlds!
 
I go to a track , and most likely the track that caused all the issues from too much running on it.
 
Hi @tyorke1
Let you body be your guide with the walking.
Slow and easy. You'll realize if you're overdoing, consequently dialing it back.
Consider not losing the cane prior to the limp.
Heel-toe walking helped me immensely. Heels hit the ground first, followed by toes.
It takes some concentration. It did for me anyway as my gait really needed an upgrade :heehee:
Wishing you a great weekend!
 
thanks as always Layla, walked for 40min today on track no pain. I will top out at 45 for quite some time . Ill only do this 3-4 times per week . My wife says Im faster now than when I walked before!!. really looking forward to the 16th and my 6week check up. good look at incision and find out what I can and can't do.
 
Hope all goes well at check up today!:) :-) (:
 
Thanks things went really well, I have to keep an eye on the incision but he was not that concerned. My doc says very little. He wants me to do water exercise in 1 or 2 weeks from now. Now that the precautions are off what does this really mean. Sleeping anyway you want, I know he still wants no crossing legs at the knee at least he said technically not suppose to. I should have asked more but went blank, I was going to ask if aleve or advil is better for healing than tylenol. Also I presume tying your shoes is okay Anything to be careful of , he said I can start back at gym but wants me to work with a PT to make sure I am doing the right stuff. I see him again in 6 weeks.
 
Hi @tyroke
Great news! It sounds like your visit with the OS went well.
If you're asking about precautions....he was referencing any restrictions you were initially
given such as not bending past 90 degrees etc.
As far as sleeping goes, I'm a side sleeper and have developed a love for the body pillow.
I use it between my legs and will wrap an arm underneath it to fall asleep. You can use it many
different ways and something to consider if you don't already have one.

Regarding pain relief, I know Josephine prefers Tylenol over Advil or Aleve.

I believe tying your shoes is fine as long as restrictions are lifted and you're comfortable doing so.
Let your body be your guide. It sounds like working with someone at the gym to begin with may be helpful.
Best of luck as you continue on your healing journey!
 
When I reached 6 weeks and was advised I could now bend passed the 90 degrees mark but to start gradually.

Don’t expect to tie your shoelaces straightaway. I’ve only just been able to do it. And putting a sock on my operated side is still a challenge. But my range of movement is improving all the time. I’m not pushing it or doing exercises it’s just getting there by itself.

Wishing you well with your continued recovery
 
thanks Jacky, I sat on third bottom step and brought my foot to second step and managed to tie my shoe , sort of like sitting heel slides, worked fine. That was good. It is hard to know what is pushing it too much , what you can or can't do. Thanks
 
I found Tylenol to be infinitely more useful after surgery then it was with actual hip pain before.
I did the same at my OS appointment...forgot everything I wanted to know...and Dr was not overly instructive so...I think you are doing fine.
 
A little update. Hip has been doing great ,strong, walking without a cain all the time. Rode exercise bike yesterday and on a decent tension for 45min the stretched then went again last eve did eliptical for 30min then stretched. And not sore today surprisingly. People wouldn't know I had it done . Now when I sit and ride the car or it gets tired I limp but that's mostly it. The lower back was really bad but my physio said there's alot of changes and tightness that occur so Im doing allot of core and back stretches.(I'M NO GUMBY) Sitting on your rump for 5 weeks does no favors. My body is responding to the exercise I would not push it if it was hurting but so far so good. Im probably doing stuff now that are normally done much later having the old style posterior approach. My hip, back and stretching routine alone takes almost an hr . It was nice to actually do cardio , again the only thing you gain from sitting on your rump is weight.!! Now sleep that's another thing that takes time to get back to normal. Hope ll is well with everyone else . This forum has been great , lot's of good people that are only here to help and give support.
 
Im probably doing stuff now that are normally done much later having the old style posterior approach.
Correction - what you can do at various stages has nothing to do with approach. It's all about how much you want to push and your body's reaction to the procedure. Members who are waiting for posterior THRs should not worry about recovery length.
 
Hello @tyorke1, I agree with @Jaycey. I think recovery is more dependant on how the individuals body responds to the replacement rather than the type of surgery.

I had the uncemented posterior approach with 90 degree restrictions for 6 weeks. I have been very lucky with my recovery. I stopped using any walking aids at 2 weeks. I’m back at yoga and working part-time on a farm (pretty physical work). I can also walk over 4 miles without any issues and do other types of exercise.

I take good care of my hip. I rest, elevate and ice as often as possible during the day. And I listen to my body when doing anything.

Very glad to hear that your recovery is going so well
 
Your recovery is going well. Good for you!
Don't forget your old friend ice :ice: if ever worried you pushed it.
Keep up the good work and enjoy the week!
@tyorke1
 
Sounds like all is going well
Yay for new hip:ok:
 
My os, who is using anterior on me again, says that approach only makes a difference first couple of weeks. Says patients end up in the same place in a relatively short time. I like the smaller cut and the fewer restrictions but I think it first it led me to think I should be doing more. Seems like everyone recovers at their own pace regardless of approach.
 
You're doing great! Yeah that sleeping position you describe is over rated....they'll be plenty of time for that later. Waaaay later, lol!
Enjoy the chocolate, it's recovery. You can walk / exercise it off soon enough.
My hubby used to reward me during recovery with chocolate and Gummy Bears. I'd do my walk around the house
and he throw a couple in my lap. I'd do a bathrooom run and he'd throw a few in my lap afterward etc
I felt like a dog being rewarded with a bone after a doing a trick :heehee:
@tyorke1

Can he write my husband? I like that reward system.
 
Hello Hippes, been a bit since I updated. my 12 week appointment is tomorrow, for many of you great things are coming. I have already played a rd on golf on a simulator, Im walking at a speed on treadmill that is the same as before my hip went bad. I can ride an exercise bike as hard as I want with no pain at all .I am in the gym for almost 2hrs 5 days a week. So easy to over do it because you feel like you have never had a problem. With all the good things I am still reminded I am still only 12 weeks, 90 degree squats are still really difficult, sleeping is still just fair. Still a little sore in evenings but mostly from exercise . I am only doing stuff that won't cause problems but doing lots that feel good. Hope all is good
 
@tyorke1
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom