THR 2+ years post-op pain and swelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The bone scan. My GP thinks that it would only be to confirm the Osteitis Pubis, and that OP doesn't respond to treatment anyway (only time heals it, he says). That combined with my gradual but definite improvement over the past month, I'm not super keen for yet more invasive diagnostics (particularly radiation injected into my bloodstream) just yet. I figure I'll give it another 2 months, and if for whatever reason my healing has stalled, I can still re-consider and have the bone scan.
 
Update for anyone still following (I suspect Josephine likes to keep an eye on her many charges)..... ;-)

Still on the mend and improving but not 100% yet. I don't have much trouble walking anymore, and usually try to cover at least a km or 2 per day. Things definitely work out better with a walk first thing in the morning before going to the office to sit for 4 hours. Inactivity definitely ads to stiffness and swelling. Otherwise, most of the stuff that bothers me now is bending over or pushing/lifting from a bent position. When I stand back up again after such, some muscle or tendon really protests. It's very much a 'tightness' kind of feeling, in that if I can relax it and stretch it out, I can move on. I'm still doing all kinds a physio and a few select stretches. It's the slowest recovery of anything ever in my life, but it's still going, so I'm thankful for that. I'm particularly careful not to do too much (e.g., like a long hike, which seems to have been my downfall before). Perhaps I'll get there again someday, but even if not at least walking without pain is glorious. :)
 
Glad to hear you are slowly getting better. I appreciate the info about hiking. I've been wanting to hike more but haven't. It also sounds like the heavy lifting is a big problem. I sensed the same thing with mine. I've been filling out job applications on line. If they ask if you can lift 30 or 40 lbs. repeatedly, I say that I can't. It's just too risky.

I hope that you heal completely and don't have to have another surgery. Thanks for posting your experience.
 
Hi there BET! Nice to hear from you again.
I'm still doing all kinds a physio and a few select stretches.
Why? You're nearly three years post-op and should have stopped all exercises ages ago!

What kind of exercises are you doing? Can you detail it like this ......

(example)
Exercises done at home: 3 sessions a day
Heel slides x10 (reps)
Strait leg raises x10
Steps x10
 
Hi there BET! Nice to hear from you again.
Why? You're nearly three years post-op and should have stopped all exercises ages ago!

What kind of exercises are you doing? Can you detail it like this ......

(example)
Exercises done at home: 3 sessions a day
Heel slides x10 (reps)
Strait leg raises x10
Steps x10

Stopping all exercises?? I'm not so sure about that. The physio that I'm referring to above is in direct response to what was apparently a soft-tissue injury this spring. In this regard, I can only plead that it appears to <still> be helping. I agree that it has nothing to do with healing from my initial surgery 3 years ago. :-) Movement, particularly gentle movement, appears to be the key to continued upward progress.
 
Hi @billyedtimmy I have just read through your thread and I just want to start by saying how pleased I am that you are seeing improvements now.I ended up with a groin pull injury at 7 weeks after my RTHR by twisting awkwardly and developed hip flexor tendinitis a few months later.The ultrasound showed psoas tendinitis at the point where the tendon attaches to the bone.Once the inflammation settled down I started doing gentle stretches of both the hip flexes and the psoas which helped and then I saw a physio who gave me hip strengthening exercises to do.A combination of both stretching and exercises really helped me but I had to be patient as it took some time.I was eventually able to attend a Pilates class with a physio and my improvement continued to improve but then my other hip flared up and the exercises aggrevated it so I had to pack it in.I have been left with some Intermittant tightness around the thigh which I can live with and 7 weeks ago I had the left hip replaced.The right hip has been strong enough to support the left one during recovery.You are right when you say that inactivity aggrevates the tightness at least that has been my experience too.So gentle movement in my opinion is indeed your way forward towards continued progress.Lots of luck.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom