TKR 2 weeks post op - Hopeful or Hopeless?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for your message. I was pretty sure that I was not crazy but who knows. When I get more comments, I can show this to my family. I can't believe that I have to justify pain medication at this stage of the game. Rediculous! I am icing and elevating a lot!!! I love ice!!
 
Well, if you've made them read my post and the articles and watch the video and they still don't get it, just send them to me and I'll soon sort them out!
[Bonesmart.org] 2 weeks post op - Hopeful or Hopeless?
I will NOT have my knee folk upset like this!
 
Great Shanis! Your doctor prescribed pain meds for a reason....because you need them. You had the surgery, your family didn't and they don't know what you are going through. Make sure they see the video that Josephine posted. I hope you are doing better after reading the replies.
 
Knee replacement is THE most painful surgery going and we need all the help we can get to get through it.

I totally agree with this. I have had a lot of surgery over my time, including major spinal surgery and without doubt a knee replacement was the most painful thing I have ever experienced and the longest pain I have ever endured. It's even in my opinion worse than child birth at times. I described it to my family and friends as like being in intense labour for 4 week!

I am only a a few years older than you, this is my story https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/what-did-i-let-myself-in-for.14968/ have a quick read at the pain I want through, I think you might find some similarities.

Remember, only you know what you can cope with and only you can decide what pain measures you need!
 
Shanis- Welcome to this great forum!
The first 3 weeks are the hardest- hands down!!!!! At that point I was saying: that I would NEVER do this again, OMG it hurts so much; plus I had the post-op blues (but did not know it then) and I had actually discontinued all meds (INSANE -do not try) for 3 days until I found this site!
Honestly, in addition to the skill of my excellent OS, I also attribute my stellar recovery to following the advice offered here at Bonesmart, which I followed heartily!
I was at 90 ROM when I left the hosp., had a cpm at home for 3 weeks and my home PT ladies were wonderful. They did not push, we just did gentle stuff at home for the first 3 weeks. OP PT was the same, I had a small extension issue and my PT guy said not to worry- it would work out- and it did. All without any PT pain or pushing or overdoing. Now I am at 0 and 128 and feel utterly wonderful!
AT 2 weeks, all you should be worrying about is nothing other than icing, elevating, pain meds, very gentle exercises. Everything in there is swollen and inflamed- and healing, so let it heal. Trying to get more ROM now will do more harm than good.
Don't be so hard on yourself- you can start to worry about the ROM much later, say in another month.
Happy Healing!
 
Thank you everyone. I seriously want to give you my Mom's email address! The problem is my tolerance level to pain meds. I have to take more than the average person and there lies the problem. While say one of you can take 1 vicoden, I have to take 3. I have a very high tolerance which is a tough situation to be in with this surgery and the amount of pain. My doctor understands but parents are asking me if I want to die? Too much drama! And I am not taking vicodin w/ the tylenol I am taking something without tylenol. Anyway...I just want to focus on getting better. And do I ever have the blues! I am not good at being stuck in the house at all. I am a very active person. I have never been at home for so long. Going crazy!!! I can't wait until I can move around a little better. I am about to go out to my car and drive it!! lol!! You all are the best!!
 
You have been given some very sound advice---and you are correct that younger folks' nerves are more tuned into pain than more mature peoples' are. I had a BTKR at the age of 53 and I was on Oxycontin---my father had two TKR's at the age of 80, and he got along fine on Vicodin.

Please read and take in the advice and the ideas/thoughts that have been written to you---this recovery is not like anything else that you---me---or anybody else has experienced. You are in the "dark days" of recovery--spend your time now simply by doing gentle stretching, icing, elevating, and resting THAT IS IT!!!

Do not worry about ROM or those silly numbers---PT's obsess about those numbers all of the time---let them worry about it---you just worry about getting through this recovery ONE DAY AT A TIME. DO not worry about how long this recovery takes---others have said it---and it is true---it can take upwards to a year to recover; my recovery took me about eight months before I felt close to normal. There is no need to worry or obsess about where you are and where you want to be.

The pain meds are absolutely necessary---and you need to take them as long as you need them---it is hogwash that people who have not undergone a TKR are telling you what you should or should not be doing.

Please understand that this type of recovery tests our patience and IS NOT A SPRINT. Do not work harder; work smarter. Do not buy into the "no pain, no gain" mentality---rather---take the idea of "no pain, more gain" and be patient and you will arrive at your goal. This recovery is not even close to being a marathon---it is like an ultra-marathon and you just take it a little bit at a time---knowing that you will w=arrive at your destination!
 
In week 2 I was taking 4mg Dilaudid X2 every 4-6 hours. When that was done I was prescribed 10mg Oxycontin 2X/day PLUS 5mg Percocet (1-2 as needed) every 4-6 hours.
Yep, it hurts, and that is why the big guns are prescribed.
I did need to wean off the meds, and started at the end of week 8 and it wasn't a walk in the park, but I did it. I don't think there is any aspect to a TKA recovery that is easy. BUT it is ALL totally worth it! So hang in there! The support of this excellent board will be very helpful to you!
 
Hi shanis. Welcome. I'm at two weeks today. Last night was first night I slept through getting up and taking a pull. I've been setting my alarm for every four hours. Last night I went seven hours without pain med before I woe up. I've only had one really bad day and that was at one week post surgery when it seems like my knee woke up one day screaming""what the heck did you do to me". I was at 90 Tom in hospital but soon lst it after getting home. Today (right now) I'm uo to 88 and plan on getting to 90 before I o to bed.

Like everyone says ice, ice, ice. Murphy husband made me four ice packs with instructions from ths site and we bought a wedge pillow. I flt Luke a pop icicle the first week and my knee and leg were as hard as a rock. I wasn't told to wear teds bt my is. Yesterday we decided to wrap my leg in the wide ace band adages that I had on when I came out of urgery. My leg is finally softening which I think us allowing it I flex more. I love my pr girls. At 64 I was ready to get new knees (other to one inoctober) while I still had some fight in me to recover.

I would like more rom but now with help from all the Bonesmart people I know it will come and I'm trying to learn patience
 
Shanis, I'm so sorry you're having to suffer with your family not understanding. This is BY FAR the worst thing I've ever been through, too. I'd thought I'd have my other knee done at some point this year, but during the first 3 weeks of this recovery, I thought "no way will I go through this again!"

I couldn't believe the pain! Now I'd already been taking norco for about 3 years for my fibromyalgia. So for this surgery, I had to be on 2 percocets, and that didn't even take the pain away. I had to "fight" with my doctor to get refills, b/c he only gave me enough for about 5 days. After 2 hours or so, I was looking at the clock to see when I could take it again.

My husband was not very supportive, either. He was trying to push me to do exercises and bend my swollen, painful knee, b/c my doctor was pushing me to gain 120 by 3 weeks. So I understand about how difficult it is going through this horribly painful recovery without your loved one's support.

I hope they'll come to some understanding about why you need the meds. Good luck to you!
 
Welcome, Shanis.....I'm sure you can see from the comments you've received and the links in the BoneSmart Library that have been provided that you are still at a stage where you NEED proper pain management. If that takes more than the "average" number of pills and your doctor is working with you, then your family needs to stop badgering you....at least until they obtain THEIR medical degrees and are qualified to speak on the subject!

You don't mention whether or not you are living with your family or not. If not, I suggest you continue to work with your doctor and share a LOT less information with the folks who are not very supportive.
 
I think you have gotten such good information. Your pain is real..I hope your family can read some of the articles and at least watch the video. Hopefully they will wake up.

Please keep in touch with us. We are here to support you.
 
I am having a lot of issues with my family about my medication for two reasons. #1 I have a very tolerance for pain medication because I have been on pain medication for so long and I am in recovery. #2 they feel that I should be off of my pain medication by now.
Are any of your family doctors? Are they experts on pain medications? Have any of them had TKR? That'd be 'no', correct? Their opinions are USELESS. It could be that they are driven by concern for you, but that doesn't improve the value of their opinions. Do they understand that pain control and addiction are different? Do they know HOW they are different. Goodness, that'd be 'no' again, right?

Perhaps you might get your doctors to speak to them, or to write down opinions, as to WHY you need these treatments? In three or four months time, well maybe then the situation will be different - not now. You need the treatment.
 
As far as I am concerned, people who have not had this surgery trying to tell me how I should feel are like people who have no children telling me how to raise mine!:gaah:Sorry, thats my Irish side coming out!:snork: I am so very blessed to have a understanding, supportive family. You listen to your knee, and your OS and the devil with the others!:hissy: I am almost 4 weeks post op and I take my pain meds every 4 hours like clockwork! This is my second time around. I had a RTKR 7/3/08 and LTKR 6/18/12. Please know that we are here for you. We are your supportive family!:) This is a difficult recovery and it take time and patience. You need to keep that pain under control so that you can heal. I know your family probably means well, but they must realize that this is no small operation you are trying to recover from. It is the most painful surgery out there for heaven's sake! Please also ice as much as you can and keep that leg elevated. I am praying for you for a speedy recovery and for understanding from your family. Take care.:angel:
 
carolinagirl said, "As far as I am concerned, people who have not had this surgery trying to tell me how I should feel are like people who have no children telling me how to raise mine!":gaah:

Amen, sister, amen.
 
To me , it was simple, if you're in pain , take pills.
At one stage I was heard to say , I need the pills and if I get addicted I'll deal with that later!
 
Great video! I got really engrossed.
I noticed that surgeon said some people could go back to work in 2-3 weeks. I don't think I'll be alone in saying there is no way I could gave gone back to work at that early stage.
 
Great video! I got really engrossed.
I noticed that surgeon said some people could go back to work in 2-3 weeks. I don't think I'll be alone in saying there is no way I could gave gone back to work at that early stage.

I sure couldn't have. I went back at 6 weeks, and should have waited until maybe 8 weeks.
 
Surgeons who do this surgery and who have not had it done to them often say foolish things---and this is certainly one of them. Maybe they think it's a selling point for the procedure since it is elective for the most part.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom