Guest viewing is limited

TKR 2 weeks, 2 days after LTKR, it's been tough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kolleen, I have never been to a chiropractor. Your experience may change my mind. I would have told you to do exactly what you did about the tooth ache. Call the surgeon, call the dentist. These two problems are literally "pains," but you seem to be doing so well in other ways. Keep walking and stretching your knee. I am impressed that you went shopping with your daughter for her wedding dress. My sons are both getting married this year. I wish they could have both gotten married the same weekend. I think more of my six siblings and their families would have attended. On the other hand, a great reason for me to be off work and spend time with everyone. So I get to stretch out the savoring of their weddings.

When is your daughter's wedding? My son's is in October. Several close friends of mine are also flying out. Oh, I love my friends. How is your sleeping these days? I hope things are getting easier. Juniper
 
2 weddings in a year, wow! I'd be crazy. My daughter is getting married in March 2014. We've had since last March to plan, so we have a lot done already. Sept 28 we lock down all the flower arrangements. That is the last big thing needed, but we still have lots of small stuff to do.

So, I go to have my tooth pulled Sept 26th. We're picking flowers on the 28th, which involves a 4 hour round trip drive. I hope the tooth surgery doesn't interfere.

Sleep is, well, TKR sleep. I have been using my ice machine for awhile when I first go to bed, and then I seem to be able to sleep 6-8 hours.

So, my PT agrees with the chiropractor she sent me to. Only walking, exercise bike back and forth (no rotations yet) and my stairs. Glad they agree!
 
My sons and their soon-to-be-wives are doing the arrangements. We're too far away to do more than talk on the phone and cheer them on. One is having a fancy wedding (they are doing the whole thing), the other is having a smaller wedding with the bride's father helping with catering. We're doing the brunch after the wedding for both. Not much, but it's what we can do. Oh, and Jessica, my son Jody's wife in October, asked us to go with them to the flower markets at 5:00am on the Friday before the wedding. That sounds fun. Not stressful. Just, "Let's keep you company, and carry flowers."

I'm a little worried about you getting your tooth out and two days later driving so far for flowers. Check with your dentist--that's my advice.
 
Hey Juniper, I only have the one kid and she wants the whole thing so it will be on the fancy side. We aren't going over the top, pretty much the average wedding costs. I got a really good deal for the reception and that has helped a lot. We are careful about how much we spend on any one thing, and my daughter is great about not pushing to spend a lot. We are both really happy about how things are going.

I am a little concerned about the long ride too. I did ask my dentist about it, and he thought it would be ok. I go to my surgeon tomorrow, but I am pretty sure he will just tell me it will be fine. The only reason I am willing to do these long car rides is because my husband bought an inverter for the car, and I can use my ice machine while in the car. I might stick the ice pad on my jaw instead of my knee if I need too!
 
So, went to my surgeon last Monday. He is really happy with my progress. Found out my hamstring (which felt better after going to the chiropractor) is not what is continuing to hurt on the side of the knee. My surgeon says it is the nerves. My PT explained how much they have to pull things aside to do the surgery. My surgeon pulled me off any PT, which was not really a problem, as my chiropractor had already done so.

I am at 120 and 0 which my PT says is normal for me. I am pretty happy with that. If I lose more weight I may get more ROM later. I can go up and down stairs with no problem, and drive the hour up or down the mountain I live on. I haven't even needed to take my ice machine in the car with me lately.
 
If you are still having muscle spasm type stuff, be sure you are getting enough magnesium in your diet or take a supplement. My doc told me most people in the US don't get enough magnesium and it helps the muscles to relax and work right. Don't remember all the technical stuff, but it did help me. Don't overdo it, though, it can give you diarrhea.
 
[Bonesmart.org] 2 weeks, 2 days after LTKR, it's been tough
Thanks for thinking of me Butterfly! Actually my PT advised me to take magnesium, so I am. Not sure if I am having them still. My knee is to the point where it wouldn't hurt if it pulled up, so I might be sleeping right through it!

Had to have two teeth out today. I'm waiting until 6 months to have implants, but will have an insert until then that doesn't require more intense dental surgery.

Right now I'm just relaxing. I used my knee ice machine for my face. Thought you all might enjoy the picture.
 
American ingenuity at its best!!! Reminds me of Silence of the Lambs!

So glad your knee is better. I'm having my first hip done on Monday. Nervous, but glad I'm going to see an end to all this pain and immobility in the foreseeable future. Second one on November 4, and I hope to have a much better Christmas this year than last!

Peace and love to you.
 
Dear Kolleen,
Sorry about your teeth.i love your picture :heehee: when I had my knee done it was during a heat wave
I used my ice machine on my head & chest :rotfl: it worked great !!!!your R.O.M is awesome, keep up
The good work.
Have a wonderful weekend,
Diana....."June sunbeams" :SUNsmile:
 
So, I am done with PT. The nerves on the outside of my knee were the problem. My surgeon, chiropractor and PT all agree. It was from the surgery. Now they all want me to let the nerves heal and only walk for exercise.

I had a great surprise. I like to sit with my knees bent and my feet on the inside edge of the foot of my lounger. I have been sitting like this for the last week, with my knee bent to the extent of my ROM. When my PT measured me, I had gained an additional 5 to reach 125/0! I guess the amount of time I spent with my knee bent and stretched just helped me.

I am sleeping through the night at the moment (8 days!), with ibuprofen and melatonin. I occasionally use homeopathic restless leg pills if I feel my legs are a bit twitchy. I have also been taking magnesium daily for a month now.

Today I go to see my oral surgeon for my post op. I have been on strong anti-biotics and can't wait to be done. So far my knee does not seem to be affected by having two teeth pulled. I may have dodged that bullet.
 
Hi Kolleen,
You are doing great :) I hope your teeth feel better....Is your trip looking doable in November ?
I sure hope so.
Have a great weekend,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Yes Diana, our cruise in November is looking good to go. However, November 2nd is the first shower for our daughters wedding next March. We are going to meet all the new in-laws, like 60 of them. We are feeling a bit daunted by that.

I was wondering about my scar. It seems to change in color from light pinkish to a red color at various times. It that just based on how much I am on my feet?

How long should I keep icing? I noticed that my knee is warmer than the non-op knee a lot of the time. I don't really have pain and only take 800mg of Advil at night and that is more for my non-op knee for sleep.
 
Sounds normal to me.
 
Hi Kolleen,

Thought I'd come and see how you are as haven't heard from you for a while. I'm amazed and very envious how well you are doing - a ROM of 125% is amazing!!!! Mine is still 90% would you believe despite doing everything I can to get it more. Also being able to drive and go up and down the stairs - whatever you're on I want some:happydance: . I still can't even get in and out of the car (as a passenger) very easily yet. However, I did get very excited the other day when I managed to walk up the stairs 'normalish' -i have to sort of pull myself up with the handrail. Unfortunately, I cant do it all of the time - how bizarre is that? and I cant come down normally at all.

I'm so sorry, you have obviously had a lot of trouble with your teeth - you poor thing you really have been suffering but hope you are feeling better now?

I see you are soon to go on holiday so have a wonderful time you super-fit woman:bow: i'm in awe.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom