Guest viewing is limited

THR 2 hips & 2 knees? Need Advice. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tracy

The property on De-Nile is a winner! You sound so positive, and have lined up such a great plan, I can't help but believe you will be successful in avoiding knee surgery for a really long time. And even if, ultimately, you require the surgery you will go into it with improved conditioning and less weight. So your recovery will be faster and easier....win/win. You are an inspiration.

Hang in there, Tracy. I have great faith that you will persevere. If there were an Olympics for fighting OA, you would be standing for the gold.

Go girl!

Suki
 
Hi Tracy, I missed your invitation to form a weight loss thread, or whatever you have in mind. I think it's a great idea and count me in. I have a lot to lose. I definitely want to take good care of my new hips, as well as just get back to feeling good instead of lugging around extra weight all the time. That, in itself, takes a toll on the body and spirit.

My biggest problem is when I go back to work. I'm a stress and emotional eater. I eat when I'm bored and stressed, especially. I do much better when I'm home. I control what food is in my house and I don't have anywhere near the amount of stress as when I return to work, therefore, I don't eat as much or as often. Since my surgery date (June 22) I've lost at least 10 pounds. I say at least because I plan to weigh in tomorrow and I'm pretty sure I'll find I've lost another pound or two. I still have a long ways to go before I get to where I want to be, but just like with hip recovery ... one day at a time, one step at a time.

You have done an amazing job with weight loss!!!! I am SO impressed!!!! You, and others on here, are inspirations to me in this area.

Dorothy
 
Hi Bonesmart friends,

It's been a year and a half since my last update. My right hip has healed well and I have been very active logging 1,400 miles since January 2013 walking 4-5 miles daily with normal activities. With help from hyaluronic acid shots in my knees, I have had a great hip recovery.

Just before Christmas, I started having terrible pain in my left hip when I went out into the cold. I had pain from from the back of my hip down my leg which caused me to limp from the muscle spasms. The minute I got back inside, it got better, but I was concerned.

So, I went to see my OS after Christmas and he thought sciatica, so I had a MRI, but it was not conclusive. I think it might have been a mild case that has gotten better, but I still have some pain in the cold.

With my knees burning again (shots last shorter periods of time) and my hip a little sore, I am back to thinking about another replacement surgery. Looking at a new round of x-rays, OS says that the hip still has a little time and has recommended a BTKR first as he believes my hip and back maybe compensating for my bad left knee. I know my knees aren't going to get better, but I am scared, really terrified. I am on my own and even though I know I can find good care, a BTKR recovery is very hard work.

The prosthetic knees would be the Zimmer Persona which are rather new, but after 2 years of using them, my OS is happy with their function. I am concerned that they won't do what my natural knees do, even though they burn. I've read almost all the knee articles on the forum, but would be grateful for any advice and support on how to accept having a multiple joint life.

Many thanks,
Tracy

PS. If there is an upside, my crazy boss has now resigned after a long HR investigation and medical leave will be a lot less stressful.

Many thanks,
Tracy
 
Next month I will have my last total repleacement. I have already had both knees done and one hip. I know its scary and the thought of it is overwhelming but you can make it if you need to. I was wondering if I was the only one but now I see that one has done before me. All my surgies were done one at a time. I think is great that you have been able to lose all that weight. Remember when bone on bone happens the only relief you will find is the total replacements. Read the liberary and you will learn much. Take care. Tashia
 
@TracyW, I had my right hip replaced in December of 2010 and eleven months later I had my knees replaced two days apart (one on Monday, the second on Thursday). I did not find recovery from my almost bilateral knee surgery to be that difficult.

I did go to inpatient rehab for 6 days following surgery. It was an excellent facility and the care was very good. At home I was really mostly on my own. My hubby is a semi-invalid and was unable to be of much help except for wonderful moral support.

I followed the BoneSmart mantras. I rested a lot, elevated, and iced, iced and iced some more. I took my pain meds on a schedule and tapered off them slowly over a three month period. During the first month and a half, I took the max amount allowed. I had easy in home PT twice a week for one hour each for 6 weeks. I only did the exercises when the therapist came. The rest of the time I considered my in home regular activities my PT. You know getting from one room to another, making up the bed, doing small loads of laundry frequently to keep it easy, fixing pre-planned meals. Whenever I did a housework activity, I rested, elevated, and iced for at least an hour afterwards.

Sleeping at night was a problem for the first three months. I took lots of catnaps and made sure I had things to occupy me in the wee hours when I could not sleep. I did not let it upset me---what was the point--

I accepted from day one that recovery was going to take a lot of TIME and even more PATIENCE---I allowed my knees to be in charge. I had a very good recovery.

Now three years from hip replacement and two years from knee replacements, I feel like a "normal" 71 year old. My hips and knees are pain free. My back is stiff when I get up in the morning, but stretches out and relaxes and is fine once I'm up and moving. I'm feeling very good for my age and doing the things I want to do with no problems. LIFE IS GOOD!

Hope this is of some help to you. Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tashia,

I really appreciate your message. I am glad to know that you are out there and living your life. I hope that all your replacements have been successful and that your last hip makes a perfect matched set.

I am seeing my GP this week to discuss the potential of knees next and how I can start preparing. He's affiliated with NYU, which is where I want to go for acute rehab. Mostly, I am trying to keep calm about the thought of having so many borrowed parts. I stand and walk for a living so, my biggest fear is that I won't be the same after all the replacements. I know that if my new hip is any indication, I'll be fine, but it's still a worry I am wrestling with. I decided to start working on my weight again. I had 10lbs creep back on, so I am back on track to lose those pounds and some more to make recovering easier.

Thanks,
Tracy
 
@bottomshollow, thank you sharing your story. It's sounds like you had a smart recovery and that you are doing very well. I enjoyed reading about how you let your knees dictate your recovery. I know with my TRHR, I pushed too hard to get back to work and wished I could have taken another month off. How much progress did you make in the first 3 months? NYC is a city of stairs and it's the main reason that I want to make a decision before my knees fail all together. I hope my left hip holds up during the knee rehab; OS says it has a little more time. We have some good acute facilities here in Manhattan and I think having additional care afterwards is the best thing for me. I just have keep breathing, reading and researching to get around being overwhelmed. I am grateful for Bone Smart as it has filled in all the gaps in the medical system and brought good people like yourself into my experience. Now it's time for a little Super Bowl!
 
Hi Bonesmarties,

I told my work colleagues, made my surgery date for BTKR for April 23rd and am starting to clean and organize the house. My new (old) boss who is temporarily running our complex was very supportive as has is my business partner who will be helping to run the business while I am on medical leave. So different from telling my old boss about my THR.

This has been a time of real soul searching. I didn't know if I was brave enough to actually schedule the surgery, but the burning in my knees while I am sitting writing this post is the answer to the question of getting a BTKR. Right now I am in between sinvisc shots; I'll have one more round to keep me exercising until the surgery. I went back to see my PT for evaluation and prehab program. It was good seeing Carolyn and she gave me the good news that my left hip will be strong enough to rehab the knees which was my biggest concern. It will be a new journey and I am committed to staying positive.

I am grateful for the knee forum and have done a lot of reading in the BTKR recovery threads. It looks like strength, patience and perspective are the qualities I see in all the knee members. I know it won't be an easy journey, but it will be good to have new, strong knees.

Now, do I need to have my thread switched over? Would appreciate knowing who I should tag to move.

Happy Sunday,
Tracy
 
You don't need to have your hip thread moved to the knee area. You can just start a new thread about your knees over there. You might want to put a link to your hip thread in your signature so your buddies in the knee area can find it and read more about your history.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
Tracy, Good for you scheduling knee surgery and telling your work! You sound like a brave, strong person and I'm sure life will improve greatly for you once you are out of knee pain. And you'll be in good hands here,
Very best wishes,
Gill
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom