THR 2 hips & 2 knees? Need Advice. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, Tracy keep in mind that the Family Medical Leave Act allows you to take up to 12 weeks off per calendar year for medical problems.

Do a little investigation too and find out the company policy on illness and what your rights are. Some companies have a very well spelled out plan and employees are very well protected when it comes to termination for something other than performance issues. For example, I'm very well protected and my employer would have a very difficult time firing me when out on medical leave. That's looked upon as a HUGE no no on their part.

Dorothy
 
Just a little note..FMLA only works when there are 50 or more employees. There are some other regs for this law but it doesn't apply to small businesses.
 
Hey Tracy,
I have just read your thread and am so sorry that you have these other surgeries that will be coming up for you. However, they are ALL going to be good.

The lack of support from your boss is unacceptable and I am so glad rider1960 is up on the law. (Yeah, Dorothy!) Oh, no,but is it a small business????

That is fantastic you lost so much weight and no, don't blame yourself for anything, as we all are apt to do. I am my "perfect" weight (whatever that means), have been a vegetarian most my life, and am a yoga teacher. Bone on bone arthritis is my straw, too. I have been tempted to explore the psychological/spiritual "reasons" for this 2nd chakra problem, but you know, for right now, I am just saying, "It's my fate." End of story.

Good luck on your healing journey and hope your boss lightens up and becomes a resonable human being. He just needs to open his heart a bit.

Warmest,
Elle
 
Spoiler alert: very long post. Get a cup of tea. . . :mcoffee:

Dorothy, thank you for the information about your co-workers injections. I did some research on the manufacturer today and they look promising. I agree having the option to be “fixed” is a blessing and I know when the time comes I’ll do what needs to be done. Now, my knees and hip just burn a bit, nothing compared to my old, bad hip. The next surgery would have to wait until next May as that would start my FMLA for 2013. You’re right about the law, I am protected in our company, but I was scared that the friction in our relationship might lead my Boss to fire me before the surgery. That stress was unbearable. The company culture would never allow that behavior toward another, but he comes from a very cut throat world and has no serious direct supervision from the company Partners. It’s unbelievable that it’s gone from him accusing me of not disclosing my condition (it was definitely visible) to asking me for hugs now. :headbang: So, I think there’s more to the story, we just don’t know it yet.

I also agree about getting the best surgeon you can. My OS was very highly recommended and ultimately did an excellent job on the revision (no LLD, no bruising, no infection, etc). It seems as if he had never had my situation occur in his practice after doing 1000 hips. It’s hard to fault him for my anomaly if he had never had it happen before. :umm:Even though I am a bit torn, I do know his knees are excellent as well. I’d like to give him a chance as he already knows my anatomy and I believe he’ll be on high alert on the next go round.

I appreciate the story about your brother. I can see how it may run in my family as well and am coming around to the genetic component. Next week I’m going to make an appointment with a Rheumatologist to have an evaluation. Better to know than to not know. It’s still a little scary, but information is power.

Thank you Merry for the FMLA information. Our company is getting to be huge which may be why not all my supervisors know the exact details. :sigh:

Elle, I wish my boss had your beautiful perspective. :yes: I love reading your posts; they’re always so hopeful and healing. Thank you for your support. It’s good to hear your recovery is going well and I know you’ll soon be back to yoga. I did Bikram yoga for years (I know jock yoga) and am exploring a more gentle form, but I do love the heat and the postures of Bikram.

Anna, I loved the trail information! What a wonderful hike to look forward to for inspiration. I can’t wait to see a photo of you at the top of the mountain. :happydance: I am sorry to hear that you were in so much pain at work, but so happy you have come so far in your healing. My intention is to space out the surgeries so I can keep everyone happy. I’d hope for BLK in 2014, but that’s the most optimistic plan I can conjure. I have started on your threads and look forward to tomorrow when I can read through them all.

I am very, very grateful to have each of you and your experiences to reflect on as I work through this process. My heartfelt thanks for being there for me. :friends:

Any thoughts on starting a weight loss thread for us hippies? It might be a great to share our stories. :yahoo:

1. MerryS; Elle11; rider1960; redbedhead;
 
Hi Tracy

I also have advancing OA throughout my body also.. Have no idea where it is going to lead. I feel for you you are brave and positive and that is such a fantastic quality to take you forward with future surgeries.

I think it is wonderful that you were connected with redbedhead redbedhead; you have been my inspiration for a long time. I also have a very close family member with Psoratic Arthritis and went through Hip 1 at 26 and Hip 2 at 27. Now his upper vertebrae have fused and he can't turn his head without turning his whole body. But like you, he is positive with a strong faith.

Stay with us Tracy we are going to support you through your future journey and watch you come through to have a wonderful happy and life filled future.

I will follow your updates with much interest xx
 
My goodness, Tracy, I actually drew in my breath when I read your first paragraph about your boss! He is obviously mega-defensive and anxious. He would not dare to fire you! And I am glad you have that FMLA. But did you say he wants hugs now? Is he softening???

Oh, I love all yoga, Tracy, and many people are such devotees and speak highly of the health benifits. I do enjoy the sequences and the heat. Hey and I found this cool info on how to adjust bikham for hip replacement on broken link removed: https://www.bikramyoga.com/BikramYoga/Hip_Replacement.php! If you have done this challenging yoga before and liked it, I am sure you can find another style that may be more supportive of where your body is now. I would suggest a yoga therapist, since you are dealing with multiple joint issues. Yoga would also support weight loss, which I know you are concerned about.

I agree with Sandy, that you are such a positive and brave woman, it certainly comes through in your "voice".

Hugs,

Elle
 
Tracy,

I, too, have OA in most parts of my body and am looking at an ankle fusion (hopefully not for a few years!), The only really good parts right now are my knees and hopefully they hold up.

My new hips are wonderful and the only issue is still some strengthening for the L one and some nerve damage from the L surgery but all in all so much better than the horrible bone on bone pain.

There is some information in the library about good nutrition but I also like your idea about sharing about our weight loss, it can be such a struggle and we could support each other.

You are strong and your posts have encouraged and inspired me as it can be overwhelming to have both hips done and then have to face more surgery. Thank you.
 
broken link removed: https://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxpt631YYUS Good morning friends,
Thank you Sandy, Elle and Diane for your wonderful posts. I have been in denial about my arthritis for years as it was so present in my Mother’s life while I was growing up. By my age, her hands were very misshapen and caused her severe discomfort and embarrassment. She passed when she was 57, but I think would have been pervasive like it was for my Grandmother who moved from Ohio to Florida when she was in her 40’s. I have it in my lower spine and not understanding the damage steroids can cause, I have had over a dozen injections. Too bad my pain doctors never took the interest to tell me what I was doing in the temporary would have repercussions in the future. broken link removed: https://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxpt631YYUS

Sandy, I admire your courage and think often on how patiently you are waiting for your 2nd hip. broken link removed: https://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxpt631YYUSI see by the story of your young friend how lucky I am to have had many years of peace with my body. I am lucky to wake up in good health with the option to have “cures” for my issues. Thank you for the connection to redbedhead: she’s a tough cookie and a very inspiring.

Elle, thank you so much for the Bikram link to the position modifications, I am so excited to go back to class, for me I think will be very soon after 12 weeks. broken link removed: https://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxpt631YYUSI welcome the heat to increase my flexibility and calm my mind. My teacher whose and original Bikram student from Hawaii says “yoga is saying prayers with your body.” I agree!

Diane, I so appreciate your support. I can see reading over your thread that you’ve had more than your share of challenges. The nerve damage must be very frustrating; my fingers tips are still numb and I can’t imagine what it feels like to have a large portion of your leg feeling that way. 2011 was a big year of investment for your long term health. You’re a tough cookie to have both hips done within months and I know when they heal up, you’ll be ready for whatever is next. broken link removed: https://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxpt631YYUS

I was watching a Joel Osteen yesterday and was reminded that it’s overwhelming to think about the future, but if you can imagine just managing challenges for a day, then it becomes easier. That’s how I think about weight loss now; I can manage it on a daily basis. I am going to start a weight loss thread for the hippies. I noticed one on the knee side that people seem to enjoy contributing. It’s a topic that I know is dear to many of us. broken link removed: https://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxpt631YYUS

PT today and then the gym to try some of the deep water running I have been hearing about from other members. Have a restful day or night (depending on where you live in our big, small world). broken link removed: https://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxpt631YYUS
Tracy

PS. I fell in love with the joyful cartoons that Sandy and Judy post. Being a big kid and a former school teacher, I couldn't resist getting some of my own!

Elle11; rider1960;redbedhead;dianemarie; broken link removed: https://www.smileycentral.com/dl/index.jhtml?partner=ZSzeb098_ZNxpt631YYUS&utm_id=7926
 
broken link removed: https://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxpt631YYUSI have been in denial about my arthritis for years as it was so present in my Mother’s life while I was growing up. I have it in my lower spine and not understanding the damage steroids can cause, I have had over a dozen injections. Too bad my pain doctors never took the interest to tell me what I was doing in the temporary would have repercussions in the future. broken link removed: https://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxpt631YYUSbroken link removed: https://www.smileycentral.com/dl/index.jhtml?partner=ZSzeb098_ZNxpt631YYUS&utm_id=7926
It's very unlikely that the steroids used in your spine would have contributed to your arthritis as it's quite a different kind. Read this to see Cortisone shots: are they safe and is there a limit to how many?
 
With my close family member, they were on high doses of Methotextrate which is a cancer treatment, I don't think that helped this situation.

It certainly is a difficult condition to treat!

Sending happy, healing vibes your way Tracy. :)
 
Jo, thank you so much for the links. I appreciate being more knowledgeable my prior treatments. :SUNsmile:

Today, I'm calling the OS and ordering the Orthovisic shots for my knees which burned all days and gave me pain going down the stairs (200 to get home by subway). I need time to lose weight and get fit before this next journey begins. Between work, PT and my knees, it's made additional exercise impossible over the past 3 weeks. My weight loss has stalled out and that's too important for me not to get this treatment. I also have an appointment now with a Rheumatologist next Friday which should clear up the picture significantly. Onwards and upwards. broken link removed: https://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxpt631YYUS

Sandy, I'm sorry to hear about your relative with cancer; did the treatments aggravated their arthritic condition? Thank you for the healing vibes, I'll soak all of them in as today is another 8 hours on my feet which I love except when my sassy joints are burning me. :yikes: My best to you downunder broken link removed: https://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxpt631YYUSfor a beautiful day on your countdown to retirement!

Josephine; Smja;
 
Hi Tracey

broken link removed: https://www.aboutscotland.com/edin/articles/arthursseat.html

I can only sympathise as I am a tad overweight as well and have put more weight on since my last op, not had the time to go back to the pool like I did last time as my physio did advise me that walking in water helps lose weight tones and strengthens tour body.
I have tried cutting my calorie intake and after I have had my left hip done hope to go up to my favourite spot above.

Billy
 
Hi Tracy

You are a strong gutsy woman and I have heaps of admiration for you.. PA is not an easy disease to treat as it can become so random.

My close relative had the Methotrexate treatment prior to the THR's as they thought it would slow the PA down, it wasn't for cancer.

What I dislike as I mentioned is seeing the randomness of this autoimmune disease. One day one joint next day another joint often crossing the midline, so right knee one day, left shoulder next day.. Very difficult!

I wish you well with your Rheumatologist apt. :)
 
Hi Billy, what a beautiful link you sent me. I am 1/4 Scottish and this looks like a place that I would like to climb some day. I am sure when you get your 2nd hip done you'll be sending us a photo of you on top! I finally broke the plateau I was on by eating the majority of carbs before 2 PM (breads, etc.) and having protein and veggie carbs at night. Finally, I stopped eating 2 hours before bed. Phew, it took me 2 weeks to lose a pound and I am so relieved that I am on the downward swing again.

Thank you Poppet, I appreciate your kind words. I understand the Rheum doc is very laid back which is what I need right now. Hopefully the news is just wear and tear OS and nothing more; cross your fingers. You're right, PA sounds very random and frustrating; I hope that your relative has had some respite from the disease.

forbesy;
 
Hey there Tracy,

That is great you have managed to get into the habit of not eating before bedtime two hours! Well done! Do you make sure that all your grain carbs (bread, rice) are whole grain? The older I get, the more I feel processed foods are a major source of illness and unhappy bodies. (Although I hate to say how delicious the croissants are at the local French bakery!!)

It will be so interesting to hear what the rheumatologist will have to say. I guess OA is the "preferred" arthritis? Or is it? It seems autoimmune diseases are sometimes easier to control with diet?

Those are a lot of steps to the subway, my dear! "Only" one way, home?! Ah, but you do live in one of the most wonderful cities in the world! Yes, I am sure you have more temptations to deal with than just my piddly French bakery! Hey..but on the other hand, there is dear affordable Trader Joe's and mega healthy choices!

Take gentle care,
Elle
 
Tracy

I've followed your story with great interest. I too have other joints affected, with in my case OA, and future knee replacements on the horizon. You are keeping a great perspective on all that occurred during this present replacement/recovery and the news about your other hip and knees. Your determination to lose weight and get more fit is admirable. I applaud you!

I already have 2 THR. I am very pleased with both. I currently am struggling a little bit with the flexibility in both as I was in a brace for five months, restricting my activity, so I have some work ahead of me to regain the fluidity of movement I had prior. Unfortunately I gained 10 pounds through the months immediately prior to my surgery and during my recovery. Gotta work on that too! Weight Watchers is on my immediate radar. I love the flexibilty of their plan.

Due to the brace and the affect on my activity level, posture, and gait, my right knee flared up quite painfully. My OS gave me the shot in my right knee and it has helped a lot. Since I only received it in April I can't say how long it will last, but I will surely try another if the pain recurs before setting another surgery date! I also have pretty bad thumbs and wrists and have had two shots in each side in past five years and the relief was total.

Your questions and concerns are ones I share. Both knees at once or one at a time? How will the hips do during recovery from knee surgery? How do I delay the next surgery while staying active and doing all the things I love?

Keep posting Tracy. I am following your journey and hope you all the best.

Suki
 
Good morning BS friends. :SUNsmile:

I am enjoying my Sunday morning and hope that you are too. I scheduled the first of my knee orthovisic shots for this upcoming Tuesday and have been pleased with the reviews I have read on the internet. Hopefully this will relieve the bone on bone contact in my knees and make it easier to exercise. Both my OS and now the Rheumatologist have told me the burning I am feeling is are irratated nerves coming out of my lower lumbar running down into my knees. So, I guess the next thing I have to consider another round of shots into my back to relieve that discomfort. I know I can get these issues to settle down, but it does feel like trying to catch a card house these days. :sos:

The Rheumatologist I saw this week was a lovely man who's an Attending at NYU. He took a look at my last set of x-rays and throughly explained what he saw to me during my appointment. He believes my arthritis is OA, but did the whole spectrum of tests just to make sure. I'll get the results in the next week and will be relieved to have some more knowledge. Ironically, he got to the last x-ray and exclaimed "WOW." Exactly what the OS said, so I've included it in this post. After doing some research I think its called Chondromalacia Patella, but am only guessing to keep my mind busy. :rolleyes:

[Bonesmart.org] 2 hips & 2 knees?  Need Advice. . .


I am happy to say I finally started losing weight again. I've taken off another 3.5 pounds which gives me a total of 30 pounds lost since learning about my hip replacment. It really is coming down to calories in and calories out. Elle11, what carbs I'm taking in are all organic whole grain although reading about your delicious croissants has made me hungry! I have just accepted that I might be hungry to a certain degree each day during this weight loss process. I eat regular meals and snacks, but my brain is still craving bad stuff or should I say the good stuff. Lol. :heehee:

Suki, I think I want to do both knees at the same time, but who knows for sure? I would definitely have to hire a nurse or aid for the first few weeks as I live alone, to help with a BLKR. I'm not even sure I'm brave enough to even go back into surgery! Not sure how I mustered up the courage in the first place. :shocked: I think I'm going to let my body tell me what part is going to need attention next.

Happy news about my hip; PT is coming along beautifully. I have started weight training and dispite the aches of building muscles, I am beginning to zip around NYC like I used to years ago. 13 weeks now, wow how time flys. It is definitely better on the other side! :yay:

As always, I appreiciate all your support.
Tracy
 
Tracy, 30 pounds is amazing! I know, because in the year before my first THR, I went to Weight Watchers and lost 36 pounds. I remember clearly when I introduced myself, I said I was having a hip replacement in the near future and I wanted to be worthy of my new hip. By the time I did have my THR, I had already gained back a good 20 pounds. In the year and a quarter between THRs, I gained and lost and gained and lost and gained.

Prior to my June 10th surgery date, I had managed to drop 7 pounds....calories in, calories out. Strict portion control. Elimination of sugar. Lower carb but not rigorous about it.

Since surgery, I haven't had much appetite. It's been easy to stick with portion control because I'm just not super hungry. I thought I'd see the pounds roll off me, but so far I'm just stuck at the same weight. Everything takes enormous energy right now....but still the weight sticks. Sigh.

So don't get discouraged. It was hard enough for you to lose it, I'm sure. If you look away for two minutes, it will try to creep back on. Stand your guard!

Sorry to hear the knees are not cooperating either. I can't imagine one TKR, let along a bilateral. You are a brave soul.

Sharon
 
Tracey, I've just read your thread through from the start and have these comments to offer.

Synvisc is a minor treatment not that much different from taking a pain pill. In other words, it's temporary, very temporary and if you ask your doctor this, he will agree.

They may be a different breed over there, but my experience of rheumatologists is not very good - they have a tendency to keep patients going with PT, shots and encouragement based upon vague hope. Arthritis can never be cured that way. It's a progressive disease and just like this step, will continue to wear and fragment whatever we do. This may seem defeatist but it's a fact.


[Bonesmart.org] 2 hips & 2 knees?  Need Advice. . .



Chondromalacia is a condition which only effects a particular kind of cartilage called hyaline which is the blueish, ultra-smooth lining of joints. In a way it's not dissimilar to arthritis. If your condition is confined to the articular surface of the patella, then a patellar resurfacing might be an option. However, there is also some early arthritic changes showing in the femoral condyles so I wouldn't be surprised if the damage has spread elsewhere.
He believes my arthritis is OA
This statement puzzles me as had it been rheumatoid or psoriatic arthritis, you would have presented with other symptoms first. :scratch:


So I am asking you if you have actually seen a knee surgeon yet? Or has your case only been dealt with by the rheumatologist?
 
Thank you Jo for reading through my post and for all of your comments, I always learn so much. The truth is, my OS (hips and knees) doesn’t talk in medical language at all. Can’t tell you why exactly, but he’s almost never spoken the way you do specifically about my hip or knees. I actually guessed my condition based on the x-ray that I posted. If that photo is a closeup of my joint, then I can understand why you have commented that there is arthritic damage. Wow, there is so much to know about bones.

I have seen both the Rheumatologist as well as the OS. My blood test results came back good with no inflammation, PA or rheumatoid markers (right again Jo). The arthritis that I have seems to be strictly wear and tear Osteoarthritis (hips, knees, lowers spine and hands). The plan now is to preserve my joint health by continuing my work on improving lifestyle choices. Currently, I’ve lost 32 pounds and am down 3 dress sizes. My overall fitness level continues to grow most notably with the addition of supervised weight training in PT.

I have had 2 of 3 Orthovisic shots into my knees and so far have experienced no side effects allowing me to get in 2 additional workouts at the gym in the past week with no discomfort. I understand it is temporary and am hoping it will get me through the next 6 months until I can lose more weight to take pressure off the joints. Fortunately, my insurance will pay for injections every 6 months if they are successful.

My PT has helped me design a program to work on strengthening my adductors (wall squats, ball squeezes, etc.) to see if iI can get the patella to track closer to normal on the femoral groove. Overall my PT and Rheumatologist thinks that the knee joint is in decent condition and that I may be able to maintain them without replacement with continued lifestyle choices. It’s funny, I found photos of me running a 5K marathon 14 years ago wearing a patella brace on my left knee. I ran the race as I finished my first PT program and didn’t experience any knee problems for years because I was very fit and walked so much to keep my legs in condition. It’s only been since my hip became an issue and my physical conditioning deteriorated.

So if there’s bad news, well, the OS says, if he presented my x-rays to his Fellows, they would definitely recommend a TKR. But, not so fast, these babies aren’t going without a fight. I am so stubborn that it wasn’t after 4 full rehabilitations with my hip (easily 10 years) that I had the replacement done. Honestly, after the hip surgery, I am none too excited about going under the knife again. So, I will do everything in my power to prolong the possibility of more replacements.

I am also very concerned that another surgery on the horizon will cause me to miss my next promotion. I have a very physical job (restaurant manager, walk 3 miles+ a day); letting on that my knees/hip are a problem will send me directly to the back burner. It’s hard enough for women in the company I work for, let alone have surgeries be a reoccurring topic.

So, I may definitely own property on the river of De-Nile, but if there is any way, I have the will. It’s hard to imagine that another 40 pounds won’t make a difference in joint space in both my knees and God-given natural hip. So the question I ask myself daily is, “do you want to eat or walk?” Well, there is only one answer. Walk. When my lifestyle changes are no longer effective, then like Scarlett, I’ll think about tomorrow.

Thanks for letting me update/vent. Work has been time consuming this week and keeping me from the forum. I am hoping that next week will give me time to catch up on everyone's threads.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom