Guest viewing is limited

TKR 1st TKR, surgery veteran..new to TKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi GG,

I started driving at 3 weeks after initial TKR as Lynn did. After the revision, I was driving at 2 weeks, maybe too soon, but I was already using crutches and felt very good. I started with short distances and gradually increased. The pain meds at that point weren't making me feel dopey, so I felt ok being behind the wheel. Its a trial and error thing with this recovery. You just have to test the fences and see how you manage.

Good luck with the detangling of assets. Its a challenging part of any breakup. My son was engaged until May and the fiancee was terrible about wanting cash for a house she had never invested a dime in. we all learned a valuable lesson from that experience....

Be well,

Dawn
 
Dear GeekGoddess hope you are well and things are sorting themselves out. Hope you got my message I posted for you and that bad day. And that you are sleeping :)
 
Dear Bonesmart friends,
I am in the midst of adjusting to having minimal support here at home

I saw my GP doctor yesterday and she says my sugar numbers are much better already. The pills, plus attention diet are working well?

I THINK I am going to be losing weight ( and I certainly need to lose weight (goddess 40 lbs would be great!).

1. I am moving around more doing household chores, plus prepping simple meals delivery

2. I have to do a little cleaning every few days ( just did the tile glow.. Bathrooms, dining room, kitchen, hall, 2 bedrooms , AND stairs!

3. Doing the new exercises from PT....very difficult. My flex is like 108 degrees but extension is -10.
These exercise tone leg muscles, and help leg muscle strength

Big change!
With changes in healthcare, COPAY for PT is $40 and taxi back is total $60.

So yesterday I started DRIVING a little. Being cautious but had to go to doctor

Tell us about your progress!


Happy healing!
Kathy

Left TKR Oct 15, 2013
Right TKR Scheduled for Jan 2014 ?

Background:
Diagnosed bilateral bone on bone and OA knees Oct, 2012
Implanted intrathecal pain pump. 2008
4-6 additional herniated disks (lumbar and thoracic), 2004-now
Replacement damaged neck disks (c3-c5) 2004
 
Geekgoddess, sounds like you are doing well and your health is improving. Make sure you are kind to yourself and are getting enough rest. Have a good day. Lee:flwrysmile:
 
im ok knee a little hot, cant wait to be better.today court documents to deal with for an ongoing separation so annoying
 
Sorry about your home situation. :console2: Some household tasks may need to be done but they don't have to be done all in one session. Pace yourself with breaks in between.
 
I have a Schwinn 240 that I bought a couple of years ago and is now being extra useful for recovery. I am sure others on this site have other recommendations also. Lee


leejaa How often do you use your bike on a weekly basis?
 
Much to share

Outpatient PT says my knee flexion is 104 degrees !!!
But my extension is minus 7 degrees, so more to do there!
Lots of pedal rotations on the bike.. 5 minutes my first time up (3 weeks)

But the exercises at PT . Some create a great deal of pain..
The Stretches to straighten the leg... they want you to hold these for 5 minutes.. i want to stop at 2 or 3.. she says keep going...
 
Before I went back to work, I tried to use the bike every other day. I started with 10 minutes and no resistance and had worked up to 15-20 minutes with some resistance. Now with working, I have no energy so try to do it on the week end only. Once my stamina is up I will try to ride after work also.

Right now, my body and knees are having a harder time (swelling and achiness) with having to be at work and not having as much elevation and rest time but had to go back to work.
 
Right now, my body and knees are having a harder time (swelling and achiness) with having to be at work and not having as much elevation and rest time but had to go back to work.
I remember those days well! I too had issues with the same problems when I returned to the classroom. IT takes time and patience, but they will subside.

Now with working, I have no energy
When I went back to teaching, I felt very much the same way.
 
Before I went back to work, I tried to use the bike every other day. I started with 10 minutes and no resistance and had worked up to 15-20 minutes with some resistance. Now with working, I have no energy so try to do it on the week end only. Once my stamina is up I will try to ride after work also.

Right now, my body and knees are having a harder time (swelling and achiness) with having to be at work and not having as much elevation and rest time but had to go back to work.


@Leeja how long since your surgery again?
And do you teach 8 hr days like k-12?

As a professor I can arrange things so I work at home 1/2 day and then on campus the other half!
Sounds like I am very fortunate in this respect


Here is something for
1. Teachers
2. All Bonesmarties who use this community to grow and learn!

[Bonesmart.org] 1st TKR,  surgery veteran..new to TKR



Happy healing to all,
Kathy

Left TKR Oct 15, 2013
Right TKR Scheduled for Jan 2014 ?

Background:
Diagnosed bilateral bone on bone and OA knees Oct, 2012
Implanted intrathecal pain pump. 2008
4-6 additional herniated disks 2005- present
Replacement damaged neck disks (c3-c5) 2004

My story: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/1st-tkr-surgery-veteran-new-to-tkr.21772/
 
  • Friendly
Reactions: DAJ
Kathy, my last surgery was Sept.11 so it is about 8wks. I am not a teacher. I actually work in a hospital but not nursing. I am a supervisor so my job is mainly desk so can sit and walk around as needed but many projects and meetings. However, my days are usually about 9hrs. I could try to work one day from home but right now a major project so need to be on site and actually trying to catch up at the same time on work issues - computer system software upgrade as I am trying to recover. It is great that you can arrange your schedule some and work from home - it will help but remember it is still tiring so be kind to yourself.

I liked your posting regarding learning.

If you are thinking of getting an exercise bike - don't forget to check craig's list or some other sites like that because often these are listed. Also, any used sports equipment stores in your area might have them for less. Lee
 
Thanks for advice about Craig's list leejaa! Added bonus is not having to assemble it!

Being kind to ourselves... That is one of the most difficult things for women the way we have been socialized in most cultures!
 
I'm having trouble with the muscle in the front of my lower leg this morning
It is BURNING!

I tried my usual solution for muscle pain ( bio freeze) but has not worked
Neither icing it. :hairpulling:
I know when I strained it..I got up from a chair in the wrong way
Darn it!
How many muscle strains can you get in a week? :tantrum:

Ideas for solutions? Pleazzzzzzzze? :bow:
AND is it ok o do PT exercises today..omitting ones which hurt the area?

Thanks or HELP!! :sos:
 
BTW do you know what BIOFEEEZE IS?
It is used by a lot of physical therapists and chiropractors here in the USA to relieve muscle aches and knots.

It comes in roll on, rub on goop, and now spray on forms.. I buy mine online.

I use the roll on format as it is convenient... https://www.biofreeze.com/page/en/biofreeze-roll-on.aspx?parent=33

The main ingredient is good old MENTHOL
And it usually is effective (though very fragrant!). :egypdance:

"More recently, laboratory researchers have discovered that menthol stimulates the TRPM8 cold receptors. Even though it has long been accepted that cooling and cold can induce analgesia it has been a poorly understood mechanism. As scientists have continued to isolate these specific heat-sensitive transient receptor potential (TRP) channels within our sensory neurons we are now able to have a much better understanding of the body's cutaneous temperature detection. With the isolation and further study of these specific TRPM8 receptors there is stronger evidence supporting the benefits achieved with the cooling effect of menthol in functioning as a topical analgesic while activating these receptors and the resulting consequent pain relief."

WHAT DO YOU USE for muscle aches? :what:
 
I use bio freeze too. It seems to soothe hot and aching muscles.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I use voltarol gel or an ibuprofen gel it does seem to help along with the painkillers I use. :)
 
Thanks for answering because I'm not sure if BIOFEEEZE was working with or against the ice or meds!


Happy healing!
Kathy

Left TKR Oct 15, 2013
Right TKR Scheduled for Jan 2014 ?

Background:
Diagnosed bilateral bone on bone and OA knees Oct, 2012
Implanted intrathecal pain pump. 2008
4-6 additional herniated disks (lumbar and thoracic), 2004-now
Replacement damaged neck disks (c3-c5) 2004
 
Ok time for an update.
I am doing better and adapting to the tight pain in my surgical knee. PT and OS office say the pain changes every few days because so much is rebuilding.

I did employ some bone smartie strategies at PT yesterday...the activities were too painful so I stopped! Several different activities. When I hit my max I stopped. They said fine! SCORE for learning through Bonesmart!
Big accomplishment..I stepped up and down on the 1/2 step and then eventually the full step!

No kidding probably 18 months since I did steps!

Biggest news..I moved up my RIGHT knee surgery closer..instead of mid January, I am going in dec 17!
Recovery has been much better than I expected AND the right knee is TERRIBLE. Most the time I don't need the cane and for my surgical knee, but the original one!

What do you all think?
This also let's me use some holiday time instead of sick days...which I am chewing up!
My dr clears you for 2nd knee surgery at 6 weeks. I will be at. 9 weeks.







Happy healing!
Kathy

Left TKR Oct 15, 2013
Right TKR Scheduled for Jan 2014 ?

Background:
Diagnosed bilateral bone on bone and OA knees Oct, 2012
Implanted intrathecal pain pump. 2008
4-6 additional herniated disks (lumbar and thoracic), 2004-now
Replacement damaged neck disks (c3-c5) 2004
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom