Guest viewing is limited

TKR 1st TKR, surgery veteran..new to TKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting way to explain the exhaustion...all our usual resources are funneled to one area!

Thanks so much, referee54!
From your signature your have had btkr and now compete in triathlons?
Are you kidding?
 
Yes, stamina is the last thing that comes back! Healing takes time and energy and your body is sapped all the time from healing and doing day to day activities. I started driving about 6 weeks after the left one and 5 weeks after the right one. Then after the revision, I started driving about 4-5 weeks after surgery.

You say you are an editing professor? Wonderful! You are unique in that you can keep up with the editing and healing at the same time. I took two semesters off for my revision so I could focus on getting well. I will complete my Masters in December!:happydance:
 
Interesting way to explain the exhaustion...all our usual resources are funneled to one area!

Thanks so much, referee54!
From your signature your have had btkr and now compete in triathlons?
Are you kidding?

That is the brand of Tim's knees. Stryker Triathlons. He is an umpire for baseball and very active. He is also a teacher, like I was for 20 years.
 
Hi Kathy,you're so lucky to be able to work online but I guess you already know that.:yay: I started working online after my first knee op in 2008. Dont be in a rush to drive enjoy your home while you can. I visit UK a lot and love your pic! Your next trip to Europe we should compare knees:happydance:
 
Ok today was a good day for knee recovery, awful day in my life.

I am super glad I have a community, because now I have no in home support.

It all started Sunday when my partner started another disagreement with me. Long story short..she moved into the silent treatment..for 1.5 days..won't go into more tactics used. The issue is these disagreements happen every few weeks. I decided time to let her go.
Within 12 hrs boxes were here and packing in full swing.

I even have to change my profile photo, because she took our yorkie with her. Thank goodness I have my Olivia (bichon) still.

So after 1 1/2 years... In the midst of TKR recovery she is gone

My surgery is 3 weeks ago today. Alone with my pup. Boxes around me ( she retrieves rest tomorrow)
Trying to manage cooking, laundry and cleaning all at once Oh yeah PLUS rest????, exercises, meds, elevate, etc.. :headbang:

thank goodness my recovery is progressing well, so I CAN. :sigh: :thud: :thud:

No doubt ill be awake again tonight!!
 
Hi Kathy,

So sorry to hear about your breakup. Having support at home is so important, but healthy relationships are also important. I hope this change becomes easier to cope with as time passes.

My advice is to let the non essential chores go for now. Perhaps hire some help if needed, even if it's temporary. You have made such good progress but there is much healing ahead, and with this change you will be tempted to rush and do more than you should. Please take the time needed to heal and recover. As you go back to work and professional life, colleagues and co-workers will think you are 100%, again, don't take the bait. Do what you can comfortably.

I wish you all the best in the days and weeks ahead,

Dawn
 
Hi Kathy. So sorry to hear about your break-up. Never a good time for that to happen but this must be top of list for worst time EVER. It might take your mind off your TKR for a while. Sorry - just trying to cheer you up. I think most of us on here have had arguments and disagreements with our partners during this recovery. My husband was so insensitive at times. I had a voodoo doll of him under my bed which I used to stick pins in to make me feel better. On the serious side how will you cope without some support . Do you have any family nearby to help out. It's such a long recovery you will need some help and reassurance along the way. At least you know your Bonesmart family will be here to hold your hand, listen and advise. Sending you hugs from the UK. Please take care x
 
robynhood
oh my goodness you made me laugh so hard with the voodoo doll!

No I don't have any family here in Florida. Ill have to think about a housecleaner at least!
Thanks or reminder to take it slower than I tend to want.
 
Dear Kathy its 4.22 am here and im not sleeping of course. So just saw your post. Any crisis normaly shows up the cracks in a relationship.
Having gone through this myself 2 years ago I can only say Im so glad it happened. So glad i never spent another year, day week, trying to make someone else happy after the 11 years I had already spent. I have new rules on loyalty and support. I give these, and anyone who cant reciprocate doesnt belong in my life. Be careful the door doesnt hit you in the butt on he way out.

I know what it felt like to suffer under silent treatment and lack of empathy and let me tell you living alone is a whole lot better than that even on a bad day.
You need to heal so forget the drama. Youll be OK. order in some food, and watch good movies, have a cry . And before you know it new friends and old will show up and maybe even a new romance.
Moving on up!
Hugs from a sleepy kneebudddy D
 
@geekgoddness, Wow, you did very well with not much pain med. you must tolerate pain very well or you are one of those lucky ones who do not have much pain. Hope you sleep better now. I am on pain schedule every 4 hours. You knee operation is 10 days ahead of me. May I ask did your doctor use traditional cut or quad sparing cut?
 
Hi GeekGoddess just popped over from the hippie side to give you a big hug ((( hugs ))) from OZ

I have been thinking about you all day at work... What is 'grits'?

Did you manage to get your prunes? Or a stool softener? Or are you OK now?

:) - thanks for tagging me on the Nutritional thread...
 
Poppet: Grits refers to a ground-corn food of Native American origin, that is common in the Southern United States and mainly eaten at breakfast.

And here's a pic:
[Bonesmart.org] 1st TKR,  surgery veteran..new to TKR
They are usually eaten with the addition of butter and a little salt, but can have sugar and milk added. They are delicious--a great Southern comfort food.
 
So sorry I've been offline. I just saw all your posts and they came at a great time.

My ex partner and daughter spent yesterday separating our stuff and boxing up her stuff

I finally called my sis and talked to her last night

Today ex partner and daughter finished packing and loaded truck, they are loading final items now.

House us half empty. Gonna have to call a friend to rearrange items..no lamps, etc in some rooms I use.
Actually slept better last night, hope so tonight also

I KNOW I am over taxing my knee, but
I have to do laundry ( the hot flashes a night sweats from not being on hrt) create a week of laundry in one day!
Have to cook
Fill the ice machine for my knee
Etc etc. :hairpulling:
And have held up in my home office a bit during chaos ..the sitting KILLS the leg YOUCH
hopefully I get back to routine tonight when truck pulls out!
I even forgot meds a few times today..that did NOT help. :headbang:

Thanks for reminders and encouragement!! :puppysmooze:
 
Poppet: Grits refers to a ground-corn food of Native American origin, that is common in the Southern United States and mainly eaten at breakfast.

And here's a pic:
[Bonesmart.org] 1st TKR,  surgery veteran..new to TKR
They are usually eaten with the addition of butter and a little salt, but can have sugar and milk added. They are delicious--a great Southern comfort food.
EXCELLENT detailed answer Poppet!

I am from the north in USA..but have adopted this southern favorite! :yay:
I like them served simply with butter and pepper

But TODAY I opted for OATMEAL! :happydance:
 
@geekgoddness, Wow, you did very well with not much pain med. you must tolerate pain very well or you are one of those lucky ones who do not have much pain. Hope you sleep better now. I am on pain schedule every 4 hours. You knee operation is 10 days ahead of me. May I ask did your doctor use traditional cut or quad sparing cut?

Hi Hwa1538..you have to realize 10 days is a great deal of time in TKR recovery's first month!
You will be SHocked at the difference in your advancement week to week now!

Be encouraged!
I have no idea what kind of cut the surgeon used.. Ill try to remember to ask on next visit.
Message me also if more questions...
Thanks for YOUR encouragement!
 
You r a very strong person.....sleep will come before u know it. Sleep for me took about 2 1/2 weeks after my tkp, so you will get there before u know it. I to found this cite after i had my surgery. It was very helpfull and the people on here and r so nice. The people on here know exactly what you r going throw as they have been there. Good luck with your recovery.
 
I have been using the Bonesmart iPad app search function, but maybe not correctly?

I can't find posts in these two topics... So can someone help me with insight on the questions AND on how to search with Bonesmart iPad app

1. What do people find to be good ointment, etc to assist in scar massage?

2. When have fellow TKR been approved to drive? How many weeks from surgery?
I have been told byOS office, it is 6 full weeks EVEN THOUGH I drive an automatic vehicle and the TKR IS OPPOSITE ( unused) leg.

Any ideas?

3 bonus question: can someone help me with deta to search with Bonesmart iPad app

Thanks all!


Happy healing!
Kathy

Left TKR Oct 15, 2013
Right TKR Scheduled for Jan 2014 ?

Background:
Diagnosed bilateral bone on bone and OA knees Oct, 2012
Implanted intrathecal pain pump. 2008
4-6 additional herniated disks (lumbar and thoracic), 2004-now
Replacement damaged neck disks (c3-c5) 2004
 
Sorry, cannot help with the IPAD app. However, my OS said I could drive at my 4wk visit as long as I was not on meds at that time. I started driving about 12miles at that time to do OP therapy for my left knee 3x/wk. After a few trips there and back I even started stopping quickly at the drugstore and after a bit went out for lunch with a friend. Definitely tiredness is the hardest so keep your distances short. Now, with my rt. knee I just started driving at 8 wks and not much mainly because I am tired since going back to work 2wks ago and since my husband and I can commute together as he works near by I am letting him drive.

I am sorry you had to have the extra emotional pain at this time but there must be some relief internally also as you stated you are slept better. I have had a bad break up in the past though not at such a physically challenging time. Take care of yourself, do only what you must for yourself and take leg icing/elevation breaks in between. I have to agree with the previous poster that being alone is not always the worse thing and the removal of tensions and increased sense of peace can be quite surprising and marvelous. I hope peace finds you soon.

I was doing laundry at 3wks but it would take a long time because I would ice and elevate in between steps and even nap if my body needed it. There is always ordering more sheets on line so they are delivered to the house. Definitely, see if you can find someone to do cleaning and if you have stores that deliver or order out food as much as possible if you can.

Remember your first job is to heal and be kind to yourself and then the rest of recovery will come even quicker and better. Take care of yourself. :console2:
 
Hello Kathy! Sorry for not checking back in sooner - BoneSmart periodically stops sending me messages and ... I don't log in - deep in the throes of grading weekly assignments from students!
So sorry about your break-up - never a good time for that. :sorry: But you can now direct all the emotional energy you spent tiptoeing on eggshells so as not to upset your ex to focusing on No. 1 and your recovery! :dancy: As for driving, my OS had no hard and fast rules - after my hips he said 3 weeks; I simply assumed the same after the knees - again, subject to feeling comfortable and safe, starting with short trips, and being certain any residual meds I was still on did not impair my responsiveness AT ALL.
So, the neck, if you still want to know. I have had deteriorating and bulging discs in lower back for at least 31 years, including a stenosis at L4-L5. About 8-9 years ago I developed a 24-7 headache that persisted for about a year with no diagnosis or relief.:groan: Then I started having problems through the right shoulder and arm and down in the rhomboid area on the right. Finally mentioned it to my back doc and she ordered x-rays and MRI. Several discs (C2-C6) had started to deteriorate and the damage was causing the facet joints to collapse on the little nerves that run through them - facets are synovial joints connecting the vertebrae (as I understand it); when that cartilage wore out (just like that in our arthritic knees) there is no protection for the nerves. So now I periodically get injections in the joints to relieve the inflammation. Those, together with neck exercises I do now, buy me 8-24 months of relative relief at a time. :angel: They have suggested a rhizotomy, where they actually burn the nerve roots, which eliminates the pain until the regenerate. I am too chicken for that! It was funny - one of my sisters had commented for years about that "cute" little tilt to my head. I had no idea it was physiological!
 
NightQuilter, thanks for the positive thoughts! While I can concentrate more on recovery, I also have to disentangle some finances and property, ugh!

Don't be scared of the rhizotomy, if they are using RADIOFREQUENCY to burn the nerves?.. That procedure of "burning" the nerves is what helped me get out of the wheel chair here in FL.

I never actually felt any "heat" at all.. But it turned off the pain Signals to my lower legs after six years of feeling like they were constantly being stabbed and the knife ground in! What a relief!

I had it done in NJ also, but no results. The fellow here in FL is more an expert.
So my advice is make sure doctor does many of these each month AND the patients get very significant results..homework for the teacher!

Tell me why else do you hesitate having that procedure?


So you are also a teacher?
What grade/ subject. I teach doctoral students in college of education.






Happy healing!
Kathy

Left TKR Oct 15, 2013
Right TKR Scheduled for Jan 2014 ?

Background:
Diagnosed bilateral bone on bone and OA knees Oct, 2012
Implanted intrathecal pain pump. 2008
4-6 additional herniated disks (lumbar and thoracic), 2004-now
Replacement damaged neck disks (c3-c5) 2004
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom