THR 19 Months Out - Weak muscles causing problems

Glad you are able to get in! I recently got back from the mall (which was not all that easy due to hard floors). I bought compression shorts think that at least this may help when I TRY to get out and about with the IT band , TFL, etc etc stuff. Tried on Adidas, Under Armour and so on. By the way, just to let you know about my talk with my DPT- she is actually trained in dry needling but she is not able to do this in NY.
 
@spaniel The pressure point therapy I had didn't involve dry needling at all. It's a "massage" therapy where the person locates the tight area of muscle and pushes on the trigger point that causes the tightness. This pressure will eventually cause the muscle to release. It can go back into spasm, but the idea is to keep applying this pressure and getting the release every few days until the muscle realizes it's supposed to be relaxed and not in spasm. It sure helped me.
 
Thanks @Jamie. Yes- I am willing to do the pressure point therapy. I feel like a dunce - I'm getting the terms mixed up all the time - still! After all of you have tried so hard!!! We have SO many massage places around here and there is no point for my not going.
I just have to do some pricing... and I dont want to go to a chain... as there are some up here. See my friend goes for tigger point injections- and of course this involved meds (via an M.D. @HSS). That's for her back...
 
I see my surgeon this coming Tuesday. Of course, my hip is doing much better now....that's always how it works. But that does make me think that whatever it was that made it hurt so much that I had trouble weight bearing a week ago must have been some type of sprained muscle in the groin area. I'm still taking Tylenol, but now it's just one in the morning. I don't need the bedtime dose anymore. I still use my cane when going to the bathroom at night just for safety, but I'm getting around the house almost as good as I was before stopping therapy. I still plan to go talk with him, though. It will be just at 6 months, and I'm curious to see if he thinks my slow progress is still within the range or "normal." I'm betting it is and my prescription will be a large dose of humble patience.

I do think it will help when the weather warms and I can get outside more. Staying in the house and doing a lot of sitting at the computer is definitely not the best for a recovering hip. I can truly say that this hip was sooooo different than either one of my knees or my shoulder.
 
Sorry this recovery is a tad disappointing for you, Jamie. We do often hear from those that have experienced both hip and knee, that hips are normally easier, so I can understand how this may be a bit discouraging for you. However, as you also realize we always remind members, even at six months out, that there is still healing to happen over the next six months and even into the next year or two. So...I think you're right in guessing how your OS will respond. With all you have going on in the backyard paradise you created last year, I hope you're able to do some relaxing as opposed to being tempted with any burdensome projects. Once its warm enough you can turn on some tunes, get on a float and soak in some Vitamin D. Sounds heavenly about now, doesn't it?!! :yes:
Best Wishes on Tuesday! Please let us know how it goes.
@Jamie
 
I was telling a friend of mine about my concerns and she told me that when she really thought about it, she believed it took at least a year for her to be totally pain free. And she walks for an hour almost every day! It helped to hear that. My TKRs were so long ago that I've probably forgotten about some of the details of my recovery with them too. I'm just not a very patient person....:heehee:
 
Yes-we are bombarded by local TV commercials featuring local places touting the very very brief recovery: While of course you can get out of bed the next day
, the media messages are severely misleading. Sure there are a few quick recoveries. Never once was the potential for a lengthier recovery discussed. Now we are bombarded by the up and go knee replacements on TV not done by fake docs either. I do think that warmer weather MAY help.
 
I had x-rays taken at the surgeon's office today and while I was waiting for him to come in, I could definitely see a problem with my hips. They were tilted about 3/8" with my operated leg being the longer one. We had a good discussion about that once he came in. I believe this is a congenital problem because I have rather significant scoliosis and have always had it. His suggestion was to use a heel lift in my left shoe because the discrepancy is not that great. His feeling was that my body would not adjust any more at this point. I agree with that, but I do think that my muscles might get stronger with some more time. But, even if that happens, I'll still walk with a lopsided gait without the lift. My left hip joint looked good and so did the implant. Both those things were good and made me happy.

So I purchased an adjustable lift on Amazon that should arrive on Wednesday. I believe his thoughts are correct as I noticed a definite difference this morning when I was walking through the house with only one shoe on. The pain was less and I could walk more normally. Sigh.....our unique bodies are sometimes a real pain!

I'm going to work with the lift and more walking for the next 3 months and see how things go. I could walk with no pain with my uneven legs before the surgery and I believe I can get to that point again, now that I know there is nothing wrong with the implant.
 
I imagine you are probably a bit frustrated with having to deal with a shoe lift... but glad to hear all is good with the hardware.
Sigh.....our unique bodies are sometimes a real pain!
Yes... and such a delicate balance when something is off...
I've heard it can cause some aches and niggles as you adjust to the lift...so hoping it isnt too annoying.
Hugs xxx
 
It's good to know you have a solution and with the lift, your pain should diminish which will be wonderful!
Dare I say that maybe one day you'll need your other hip replaced and they can be evened out...
Said as I duck and run :bolt:Thankfully you have a sense of humor. :wink:

Glad there is nothing wrong with the implant and will hope along with you that you can set the lift aside one day.
 
It's great news that you tested the hip this morning and found that without a shoe on you felt much better. I bet that means the lift will help tremendously!
 
The lift stopped the pain immediately. I can feel that the muscles in my operated leg are still weak, but at least nothing hurts when I walk. I still have hopes that with some time this may all resolve and I can forgo any shoe lifts.

Because this is a spinal problem, it won’t be impacted one way or another if I ever need to have the other hip replaced. My spine will still be curved fairly significantly and that results in a hip tilt and the leg shortening. So there won’t be any “evening out” no matter what comes down the road.
 
So far, so good tonight with the new lift. Pain is gone, I can walk much better, and now I just need to work on getting the muscles stronger in this new alignment. They are very confused....I can tell.... :heehee:

Oh....and I can get around without the cane now too. I'm going to continue taking the Tylenol for a few more days and I think I'll take an Aleve tomorrow to see if that helps during the day. Even though the pain has left, I still am not quite back to where I was when I stopped therapy.
 
Exactly my thoughts with any change in alignment . After ten months or so after my half inch similar to your 3/8 cm discrepancy I got very very expensive custom made orthotics. While a lift helped a little for me the orthotics are for both feet. And with that I suspect that muscles etc were confused with a yet newer alignment. The pedorthist is certified and is also a PT. But Yowza they are expensive . Glad the lift seems to help you. I got the adjustable one also from Amazon and like I said it had helped a bit.
 
Interesting posts on the lift. We just returned from 2 weeks in tropics, gorgeous 85 degree sunny days to New England chill, rain and damp. While I was away for a few of the days I had totally forgot about the hip. Walked each AM and the terrain is hilly with no issue, now home I'm sore.
The damp weather is definitely affecting the hip.
It's not like I can't function just a few zaps here and there. So weather definitely affects these hips/muscles, etc.
 
Hi, @Jamie , Really good news about the lift! My PT encouraged me to get an insert to help with the knee that is now knocked. It has definitely helped, but about one week into it I developed the infamous calf pain, we think as a result of my muscles and joint being realigned. Good news is that after about two weeks of the realignment, the pain has gone away. (Knock on wood!) So if you should start to feel a pain in weird places, it may part of rthe process of realignment. Hoping you continue to feel better! This is very good news!
 
The shoe lift continues to help with my pain and enable me to walk with a more normal gait. I've noticed that when I take my shoes off at the end of the day, I'm still able to walk more normally. So, for now, I'm going to hold out some hope that my muscles will strengthen and adjust to the point that I can reduce the height of the lift from 1/2 inch to 1/4 inch and then eventually to no lift. After all, I did walk with my curvy spine and uneven leg just fine before surgery. Anyway....it's my story and I'm stickin' to it! :heehee:
 
I think that is a valid hope and goal. My first thought though, is to use that lift when you are doing heavy lifting/yard work? We need all of the advantages as we can get!
 
Last edited:
Yes Jamie my spine is curvy too. But zero issues with spine before surgery, at least from a pain standpoint. I M heading back to the pedorthist who is also a PT . He is excellent. Indeed it might even out more for you. This has not happened for me in the one year post op but hopefully yours may!
 
I think that is a valid hope and goal. My first though though, is to use that lift with you are doing heavy lifting and yard work? We need all of the advantages as we can get!
I definitely plan to wear the lift for several months and especially when I'm working outside. My thought was that I need to be as balanced as possible in order to properly strengthen my poor old leg muscles so they can get back to normal. It always amazes me at how fast muscles can atrophy and how long it takes to get them strong again.

I tried taking a Celebrex today and it really worked wonders on my muscle discomfort. I still have to get "oriented" for about 10 seconds when I stand and get ready to walk, but the walking was good all day. I'm going to continue taking one Celebrex a day for the next week and see what progress I can make. The weather is supposed to be warm several days this week and I'm going to try getting out to the garden boxes to plant some early crops. That means some bed cleanup too. Plus, I need to bag all the HUNDREDS of twigs the squirrels chomped out of the large pin oak tree in the center of the deck. It's a huge pile on the deck plus another bunch of them down inside the hole where the tree is. Rotten squirrels!!!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom