TKR 16+ weeks out and ROM of 90 degrees!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read this thread from start to finish.. I want to thank you all that commented along the way. I have my mua on Thursday and this has been the most informative and helpful information. Sparkie thanks for you and keep on healing ,I wish you bend and flex ..
 
Thanks for the great advice. I intend to follow it to the letter. I will keep you all posted on progress.
Used my floor peddler slowly for a while to loosen up a bit and then just did a gentle bend to 120.
Back on the ice and elevation now.
Kar1963 - best of luck with your MUA on Thursday and thanks for your good wishes.
Remember what I said - my fear was so much worse than reality, so don't get your self worked up like I did.
 
It is so nice to meet you. I am sorry this has been such a trial for you. I would research your area and get a second opinion on all your issues from a proper physical therapist. Look at yelp reviews, try to get a good referral to someone. You have a complicated situation where it might benefit to find someone really experienced to have a look at your leg and understand your condition. I think the advice is good here. I think for me, I would need someone in person to look at my knee and give me an assessment. Do more research on the Feb. deadline date. If that is true, it just adds presssure. If it isn't, then it would be good to reduce that stress. Can you look into disability at work to give you more flexibility with focusing on your knee? I am sending you love and support and hoping that the tides change in a stable, positive direction for you. Kerin.
 
If you are still 120, then you have most likely won the battle, but keep up what you're doing. Many congrats!!!!
 
update post MUA on 31st October - still alternating bending and then icing and elevating my knee. its seems to be going ok. My husband measured my bend at 118 yesterday, but I don't know how accurate any of the measurements are or have been.
I am finding that I can actually feel my quad working now especially when doing the stairs.
I have to return to work this coming Monday and plan to take my little floor peddler and some ice packs.

Can anyone advise how long it takes for the broken adhesions to heal or for me to be out of the woods from adhesions happening again?
Also, a large, painless lump has appeared just above my knee on the left (outside side of my knee). What could have caused this? I do not think it is bleeding inside as I haven't really had bruising that could be seen.
I am so hoping that the MUA has worked and as always would appreciate any comments.
Thank you so much for all the support.
 
You ARE out of the woods . . . (that is barring an incident of aggressive painful pushing, which has the potential for a setback.) Time to get a keg and have a party!
 
Bless you maryo52,:angel: thank you - I am very relieved about that :dancy: and no, I will not do or allow anyone else to do anything aggressive to me. :yikes:
My knee is still swollen and a bit achy so I am still taking painkillers regularly.
I am not totally happy with the result. 118 degrees isn't a great bend and my knee is still so stiff, but I am hoping given time and gentle exercise this will improve? It is obviously better than the 90 degrees I had.
 
Sparkie, you've reached a point that meets the definition of successful TKR. But you will improve for another year plus. I still have some stiffness because the arthrofibrosis in my case is mildly ongoing. "They" expect 120 degrees of bend. You're there. And it will increase. You know, we spend so much energy worrying about our TKR, and willing it to get better, that it becomes a challenge to relax and feel good again. Just remember, these knees improve for years. Truly.
 
My knee is still swollen and a bit achy so I am still taking painkillers regularly.
I am not totally happy with the result. 118 degrees isn't a great bend and my knee is still so stiff, but I am hoping given time and gentle exercise this will improve?

Cause

Effect

Answer

You see, you know what's going on already, no bother. Primarily time and healing, helped by lots of rest and gentle stretching, not training, exercises will improve an already (as everyone is saying) very respectable ROM.
 
It sounds like you are on the right track!! So happy for you!!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thanks for the good wishes, which are very much appreciated :thankyou: .

Well, back to work yesterday (Monday) kept my leg up. Not elevated, but up on a stool level with my chair seat.
Used my floor peddler every hour for 10 minutes. Unfortunately I only got to ice it once and by the time I got home my knee and thigh had swollen quite a lot. So spent the evening icing and elevating.
Later on in the evening, I did a little gentle exercise (heel slides and stationery bike) for a while and then asked my husband to measure my bend, but I could only get to about 105, 110 once at best. Felt really low then, and decided that it had all gone wrong and that this was it and as I have to work and can't keep my leg elevated, my knee would go back to 90 degrees and I would just have to put up with it :gaah: . So logging in and reading your positive comments and kind wishes this morning has really helped me. Just what I need to make me see sense again and to stop myself wallowing :) . (I can't promise to not to have another wobble or wallow again, but I will try).
Love and happiness to all :flwrysmile:
 
Your soft tissues have reacted to the extra stress to produce the swelling. It's only this that's reduced your bend, it's nothing permanent.

The MUA is perhaps (IMO, open to correction there... :) ) partly to blame, it will have overstressed the soft tissue whilst breaking adhesions (if any).

I'd only worry if the swelling worsens day by day.
 
True, being on your the job and up and down just stressed your tissue to swelling. I am so sorry and hope you can ice more if possible although that may be difficult. Time!!!
Best to you!!!
 
Hi All,
Just reporting in. It's been a while. I hope everyone is well?

My leg is just about ok day to day, but it is still very stiff. I struggle getting downstairs, I fell right down from the top to the bottom 2 weeks ago. Big bruised butt.:gaah: Luckily I didn't hurt my knee.:dancy:

I find that taking the painkillers helps with the stiffness, as I move more naturally, is this a good idea?

I am only taking 2 x 500mg paracetamol and 1 x tramadol once or twice a day, that's all, but should I be trying to get on without them now?

I can't straighten my leg and still have a 10 to 15 degree bend, which makes my hip and back ache like the devil if I walk for about 10 minutes+, so I take the painkillers if I know I am going to be standing or walking. I don't know how to improve the straightness or if it will ever be better. It was only about 5degrees before I had the MUA. It looks as thought the gains made bend have been lost in the straightness.

Is this all normal at 10 months out?

Best wishes to everyone
 
Have you discussed any of this with with your OS? Normal, no not really, and you falling down the stairs frightens me! Please make an appt. to see him or your GP! We care about you!:console2:
 
Are you exercising Sparkie? I found that helped me right through along with cold packs, the exercises given by the hospital should help with the straightness, I did them about four times a day.

Good luck Sheila
 
Hi Sparkie, I noticed you had your op at Benenden in Kent. I went there but not for my knee. Should you decide that you would like someone else to look at your knee I would strongly recommend that you ask your GP to refer you to the The Horder Centre in Crowborough, East Sussex. It specializes in knee and hip replacements. It was where I had my knee done. Having had experience of both Benenden and The Horder Centre, the latter was so much better in my opinion.

GPs now have the freedom to send patients anywhere in the country. You don't have to be in the catchment area. Carol
 
Thank you all.
The Benenden would only see me for a year and as the year since my first appointment was up at the beginning of this month, I am no longer on their books! So I may well take up Patient 99's suggestion and see my GP again and try The Horder Centre. Do you recommend a particular surgeon?
I am so fed up, a friend told me of a colleague of hears that had a new knee 6 weeks ago and went for their first jog again at the weekend! I still can't walk in straight line or for long and I have worked so hard at it!
I mean, good for them, but hearing about it made me feel just useless!
I should have had my knee replaced 7 years ago but my GP and the awful surgeon he sent me to at the time would not entertain it as I was under 50 years old, even though they both admitted I would need a new knee. I think my soft tissue has just gone to pot in that time, preventing me from make a good recovery?
Lots of love
 
So I may well take up Patient 99's suggestion and see my GP again and try The Horder Centre. Do you recommend a particular surgeon?

Hi Sparkie Now you are definitely not going back to Benenden I can tell you it was a disaster for me. They totally cocked up a simple op leaving me without a spleen. OK that could have been just bad luck, but their after care was so poor I ended up at an NHS hospital. Their being unwilling to continue what they started because you are time expired speaks volumes.

On the other hand I have nothing but praise for the Horder Centre. Its the full package - and the cafe sells lovely sausage sandwiches :heehee:. Everyone I have spoken to speaks well of all the surgeons. Mr surgeon was Mr Butler-Manuel. You can google surgeons to check how many ops they have done and it gives an indication of their success rate. @bottomshollow or @Josephine would give you the link if you can't find it. But I guess if you just googled Mr Butler-Manuel by name you'd get there. His average number of ops per year is greater than most.

My knee seems to be taking forever to become `normal'. But that is more about how my body heals, my expectations etc. You are 10 mths post op. You, like me, just might take longer than average to recover, but its as well to have it checked out.

Because I am such a moaning minny with no patience I went to see my GP today. I said I still had the tight band feeling and wanted it checked out. She thought my knee seemed good, but she said to put my mind at rest she would arrange for some further physio. She will ask the physio to check everything, and if there is anything untoward she will send me back to Mr Butler-Manuel. I think this is all very sensible. Perhaps you might want to follow suit.

Let me know how you get on. Best wishes. Carol
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom