Guest viewing is limited

THR 14 days post op on new hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
Can anyone see my posts? I haven't heard from anyone in a while. I have a few questions. I still have pain when I try to put weight on my new hip from the sitting to walking position. I am still using a cane to get around. I limp if I don't. I'm doing my leg lifts every day. My OS wants me to do 40 a day. I don't seem to be improving.
 
My OS wants me to do 40 a day.
If it were me I would stop all those leg lifts and do more icing and elevating. Don't worry about using a walking aid for now. You need to get this pain under control before you can move forward. Beating up all that traumatised muscles and soft tissue with all those leg lifts is counter productive. Just my 2 cents!
 
@bobbi .... did you try Jaycey's suggestion? How are you doing now? It's been a while since you've posted.
 
Sorry I haven't been here.I'm 3 months post op and disappointed in my rate of recovery. I'm still using a cane to get around. Trying to walk after sitting is really hard to do. The first step is very painful then each step gets easier.
I saw my OP and he started me on PT for 8 sessions. 2 times a week. He said that leg is really weak. I can understand that. I have been doing my leg lifts and the leg is getting stronger. After 3 months I should be able to get some good exercises in.I want to join the gym to exercise to lose weight too. Any bits of wisdom from anyone?
 
Are you still doing stretches I'm a tad ahead and still.do sttetches

Legin THR Sep 14
 
No not doing stretches. No one is telling me anything. I have no idea what I should be doing 3 months out. Everyone on here has a different idea of what I should and should not be doing. It's all very confusing and frusterating. I would think by now I would pretty much be leading a near normal life. I finally took things into my own hands, got down on the floor and started to do my own leg lifts. I figured out how to get myself in and out of the deep bathtub I have. Im making myself go up and down stairs the normal way. I'm still using a crutch and I hurt getting up from a sitting position. One leg is longer then the other so I have to wear a lift in my left shoe but I go barefoot 90% of the time. Its winter and very cold here. Maybe Ill make better progress in the Spring. My daughter tells me Im paranoid and that its all in my head. My OS is no help.
 
Hopefully you can find someone who can help you, sorry to hear you are in MN!:snow dig:
There was a massage therapist who helped me, she was very knowledgeable. The massages did so much to loosen up.
I also reviewed my anatomy. Bought 2 books on Amazon one was 4.00$ the other 1.50$$ used. It helped me to understand which muscles were responsible for what movements, etc... It allowed me to take a more informed roll in my rehab.
I had to wait 2 years for my new hip, meanwhile I tried so many things to relieve my symptoms, nothing helped! I limped through my day exhausted and irritated. I had my own battle with frustration, I have the most respect for anyone who is challenged with it.
Good luck finding your way, you will get there.
 
I used one crutch until I was six months post op......my leg just felt weak without it @bobbi.....and my gait was awful. However, I'm 15 months post op now & gradually everything got back to normal. Walking well....sometimes still a little stiff on start up but no pain. Did hydrotherapy & exercises in pool & General walking. All that seemed to help, eventually. It's a long road to recovery for some of us....but worth the wait...Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hello HoppyNanny!
I have a question about your gait and hopefully it isn't rude to reply to someone else's post. I'm new here and not sure exactly how that works. When you say your gait was off, does that equate to a Leg length difference or was it a strength issue? I have a 1" perceived LLD - 1" longer on surgical leg, I am 3 months post Op, Anterior THR, and the LLD doesn't seem to have changed at this point. I am doing well except for that.

Thanks
 
Ok, Sorry I haven't been here. Not much to discuss. I am 4 months post op. I had 8 sessions of PT. That helped a lot.Just saw my OP and he said I'm doing great for someone 4 months out. He tested the leg for strength and I passed with an A. I graduated from PT. I passed all my tests. Then then why aren't I happy? Because it sit hurts a little and I have to remind myself how to walk properly. My OP told me to put a lot of miles on my new hip and I plan to do that when it warms up above 0!...I have some exercises I do every day. I'm just not happy in my progress and when you say slow and steady, you mean it.
 
Glad to hear the OS was pleased with your progress @bobbi
I know... I know... You want to be back to normal .. NOW!!!
But, as I've said it is slow & steady & does take patience... But you will get there!!!
General walking will be enough for your new hip... Don't go & overdo it now.. Will you.
Take care.... Chrissie x


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Thank you Hopper Nanny for replying so quickly. Sometimes you get to a point where you really need support from someone who has been there and totally understands.
I have one leg longer then the other, of course. That causes problems because I don't wear shoes in the house. So I walk funny. If I walk with my cane, I walk fine. I have 6 exercises I do twice a day. I really have to be mindful of how I walk every moment I am on my feet. Where are my feet? Am I walking straight? Heal to toe. Heal to toe. Put more weight over the right hip. It's driving me nuts. I just want to walk normal again without having to think before I take a step. I want to get out and walk for a longer distance then from my living room to the kitchen. I want to get out and stretch my legs! I'm including some dance steps into my dull exercises just to make them more appealing.
Sheesh.
ok, I'm done venting for now. Thanks for listening. I'm going to go do my "calm shell" exercise now.
 
Hi @bobbi , thanks for your update. Sorry you are so frustrated. Your experience sounds exactly like my LTHR. It took over one year for me to feel really recovered. I too had a leg length difference which does make walking difficult. Do you have a lift for your shoe on the short side. At about 4 months out I had the difference measure by a podiatrist and then ordered a lift. I wore shoes both inside and outside so that I could walk normally. I know it's not a perfect solution if you like to go bare foot in the house. But soft shoes or slippers will work too.

Exercises - frankly they don't do much. Walking is the best exercise. Even your OS agrees. Please don't over do on something like the clam shell. They only make you sore and stiff.
 
Hi Jayce, long time no see! How are you doing? Thanks for the response. Yes, I have a lift in my left shoe and I wear it when I go out. I am such a klutz when I wear shoes and the tennys I wear now have such good traction, they have the waffle sole where rocks get stuck in them. I have gone barefoot my whole life. Old habits are hard to break. My PT said it takes 14 days to break a bad habit. If that's the case, why am I still eating chocolate ice cream?
I appreciate the support so much. And the understanding. My friends and family seem to think that support means yelling at me "work it! Work it!". I am so tired of it. Just leave me in peace and my body will let me know what it needs. That includes chocolate ice cream. :loveshwr:
 
Old habits are hard to break. My PT said it takes 14 days to break a bad habit. If that's the case, why am I still eating chocolate ice cream?
Because eating chocolate ice cream is not a bad habit obviously! It's therapy! :heehee:

Friends and family mean well but yes, unless they have been there, they just don't have a clue about the frustration we experience through this. Just keep listening to that hip. You'll get there!
 
Chortle I must be in a different time phase as my 24 days are eons, -leans against tardis). Yes listen to your body people often close ones think they are being kind but until they go thru a similar thing they wont know. Ok why when its minus5 does ice cream taste good

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom