Guest viewing is limited

THR 14 days post op on new hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@bobbi please don't worry about using a crutch....I could not walk unaided because of limp until 6 months post op....after that I walked with a perfect gait....my hip would NOT do it unaided until then.....it was well worth the wait....please listen to your body ( no-one else's ) and you will be fine....Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks everyone. I did go to Duluth and walked on some deep sand. Got to see the big lake so of course had to walk to the
waters edge. I'm home now and taking it easy. I have to take care of my animals now by myself. My daughter just had major surgery. Tomorrow night we are expecting a big snow storm so my grand daughter will help me get ready for that. I'll be taking it easy and see if that helps. How long do I have to ice it? Oops. I haven't been doing that. I sit when I'm not walking. Am I still suppose to be laying down? I take breaks and lay down, take a nap.
 
@bobbi. I had a bad day on Friday. I saw my OS on Wednesday (4 week visit) and he released me to walk without the cane in my home but to use the cane when I was outside my home. So Thursday I overdid it. I decided to try vacuuming. I also walked twice 0.5 miles. I hardly used my cane at all except for the two walks outside. I woke up Friday in so much pain. Mostly muscle and my leg felt week. Big regression. I rested iced elevated and took pain meds to help alleviate it. I used the cane all day. Today I feel better. Still muscle aches. Overdoing it wrecks havoc on the recovery. I lie down every chance I can. I would rather lie down than sit or stand anytime. Less pressure and weight on the joint. I will now use my cane in the house when I am tired and feeling weak in the evenings. I hope you feel better soon.
 
Hi Xtina16405,
I'm glad to hear you can walk without crutches. I cant wait to get there. I hope you feel better soon too. It'seems so easy to over do it isn't it? I'm on week 5 today and still on crutches. No pain unless I try to walk unaided on it. I guess it's not ready yet. I enjoy reading all the posts on here and I really appreciate the support.
 
Hello everyone,
I walked today with no crutch. I use the cane in the house and I do walk a little bit with out it. I do limp without any aids. Am I suppose to be putting weight on it if I limp? Is it ok or am I going to cause inflammation if I walk unaided? There is a little pain, but there was pain when I started using the walker after surgery too. I am happy that I am showing some progress after a week of no progress at all. I dont want to overdo it but I dont want to under achieve either. Lol
 
I have been reading alot of posts about TEDS. If you have to wear them for a month or so dont feel too bad. I have a history of clots so I have to wear mine for 18 months. Im on Coumadin for the rest of my lfe. Before surgery I had a filter put in so if I did develop a clot, it wouldn't go to my lungs. Tomorrow I see my op about getting the filter taken out. He wants it left in for two months. I want it out now. Its metal and pieces of it can break off and go to my heart. It scares me.
 
Hi there, if you are still limping, I would suggest you go back to using your walking aides, they will help with your gait. It is ok to weight bear unless you have been instructed by your OS not to. Your walking aides will help. :)
 
Thank you Poppet! I see him tomorrow and will ask about that. It makes sense to wait until I'm not limping. But I do use my cane. Just once in a while it feels so good!!
 
Oh that's good @bobbi - please update us after you have seen your OS x x
 
I thought my appt was today. It's tomorrow. Silly me. What I can't figure out is why my Dr doesn't tell me what I can and can't do. No instructions came with this new hip. Does everyone have this problem? Is that why you created this forum? The only help I have gotten was my one month check up to questions I asked. Everyone heals at a different rate but what can I do at almost 7 weeks? Am I allowed now to bend over and put on my own shoes? Can I shave my legs or put lotion on them? I don't know what I can and can't do. My body allows it but am I suppose to? I catch myself wanting to put one leg over when I sleep on my side.I have slept this way for years.
 
I was doing the things you mentioned by seven weeks post-op. Why not try them and see how it goes? Just take it slowly and listen to your body. It will let you know if it's reaching its limits.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
Hi Alexthecat,
My hip does fine when I do these things. Just not sure when it is safe to do them? I do everything slow and gentle because I'm scared I'm going to hurt my hip. I figured 7 weeks out I could start doing some things for myself. I'm still on a crutch for going out and use a crutch and a cane in the house. If I have been sitting, those first few steps after getting up can be a bit tricky. But I guess that is normal. Now I have a hard question to answer. Is there cell memory with a new hip? Can your new hip hurt because your brain thinks the old painful hip is still there?
 
You're not going to hurt your hip. It sounds like you are doing everything just right. It takes time to build confidence in a new hip. It's a process, really.

I don't believe a hip has that sort of cell memory. At least, mine doesn't. I can't speak for anyone else, but my hip feels 100% normal. My THR happened as a result of an injury. My other hip is perfectly fine and I don't notice a difference between my hips at all.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
@bobbi. I really don't think there's such a thing as cell memory for your hip...it's still hurting because it's still got a lot of healing to do....this process is quite a long one because of the trauma of the op....slow & steady!!
I used my crutch until I didn't limp at all and I walk perfectly now...it's worth the wait.
I know what you mean.....you get lots of info before your op....but nothing afterwards! That's why BoneSmart is such a valuable resource! Hope you have a good day! X


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I saw my OS and he said the same thing. No cell memory in the hip. That was my daughters question she wanted me to ask him. She thinks the pain is in my head. I keep telling her it is in my hip and the pain is real. I told my OS that and he gave her a raspberry! He said the pain is not in my head, its in my hip. He said not to listen to her. She took two years of Message Therapy and she seems to think she knows more then my doc does.
He tested the strength in my leg. First he had me lay on my back with my leg up and then he pushed on it. He said I get 100 on that one. Then he had me roll over on my side and I did the same thing. I only got a c- on that one. So I need to do more leg lifts. He said I would get off the cane much faster if I did all the leg lifts he wants me to do. So Ill do more and see what happens. I am on a cane now and I can walk unaided. He said it was ok to walk unaided even if I limped a little. I am pretty much pain free except when I stand up after sitting. It was the same way before surgery but I had bone spurs getting in the way. I think I am doing better everyday.
 
Hi Rhonda,
Im beginning to understand how you feel. It will be 8 weeks the 6th of Dec. I am still walking with a crutch or cane. Im having the same problem now as before surgery. If I have been sitting and get up to walk, I get a sharp pain in the groin side of the hip. After I walk a few steps the sharp pain goes away.It is so sharp and sudden, it makes me yelp in pain. I also have one leg1/2 inch shorter then the other. Thats just great because I hate wearing shoes. He wants m e to do leg lifts 40 times a day. I have to hold my leg up for 10 seconds on each lift.
I had m y Vena filter taken out today at the hospital. They pulled it out through my neck. I was so groggy when I got home, I slept all afternoon. My doc put the filter in so if a blood clot formed in one of my legs, it wouldnt travel to my lungs. One did form. The filter caught it.
 
@bobbi. It will get better.... I had that 'start up' pain for some considerable time & even now ( over a month out) it is sometimes still stiff ...but wears off very quickly. I had LLD too so had to use one elbow crutch for 6 months... It's gone now.
It's frustrating...but hang on in there......you are still very much healing!! Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Rhonda,
What is LLD? All I know is that it is very painful. I pray I can walk without aid by next spring. I have to move and it's very hard to do anything with a crutch.
 
I got my vena filter taken out on Thurday. Now I have a hole in my neck. I am back on my Coumadin so have to be careful that I don't injure the site. I am on a cane in the house and a crutch when I go out to the store. I still feel pain when I put too much weight on the new hip. Right after I get up from sitting is when it happens. Is that going to go away anytime soon? Once I'm up walking for a few steps, it feels better.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom