THR 14 days post op on new hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Craftdee,
Thanks for the good info. I'm a bit worried now that I have been sleeping on my good side. They didn't tell me not to do it, they said to use a pillow between my legs. Why are they making you wait? Does it hurt?
I'm walking a bit each day, down to the mailbox and back on crutches. Still using the walker in the house. I don't seem to be improving at all for the past week. Same old same old. I take naps during the day. I SIT on the couch to watch tv and read. I only lay down to sleep. Sitting up feels better.
Glad to hear about the longer leg. What a relief.
 
Update. Went to see my OS today. All is well.His nurse gave me a lot of info and I got my questions answered. At 18 days out, I am allowed to take showers now. He said I could have been doing that sooner. No one told me. I can lay on my new hip. I got my staples out today too.

He gave me a couple of good exercises to do and he said if I did them, I would get off the walker sooner. He said walking will not help much to strengthen that muscle in that leg. When I tried doing the exercises, I couldn't believe how weak the muscles are in that leg!! I haven't been using them for quite a while.

He also refilled my prescription for Oxycodone and told me to take it as needed. They took an X-Ray to show me how the new hip looks. It fit like a glove. Nice job Doc!! So here I go onto week 3 of recovery!

Thanks so much everyone for getting me thru these first 2 weeks. I am so blessed to have you on this journey of recovery.
 
@bobbi, I recall the three week benchmark as monumental. Sounds like yours was, too! Shower, staples out, great xray, so much to be thankful for. You're doing a fine job with rehab. Keep up the good work!
:dancy:
 
Yes, it is a milestone. I am glad with the strides my body had made. My daughter has me worried about winter coming. I live in Mn, so it can get very snowy. I hope by the time it snows, I can shovel my own snow. She keeps telling me she is afraid of me falling down.

I have animals so have to go to the little barn I put up to take care of the animals. I also have a sheep and she she worried she will knock me over. I would be a depressed mess without my animals. She thinks its a lot of work to feed and water them every day. For me, it is a blessing and is as natural as breathing. She had me butcher one of my sheep. Now she's telling me about how much of a mess my ducks will make. I have rabbits and chickens too. I am not getting rid of any more of my animals. Just because I'm older doesn't mean I can't take care of them.

I can't do it right now of course, but I have done a lot for them too. I will be helping her as much as I can when she had her surgery in a few weeks. I live right next door to them and I am renting a house from them. One of my hobbies is raising goldfish and koi. I just have a lot of plans. I know people my age that still ride their horses!! I had to give that up because I am on blood thinners. Anyway, just venting. I am going to be independent again and take care of my own animals.
 
@bobbi , you will be independent again and you will be able to feeds those animals. A bit of patience now to allow yourself to heal. Your daughter is naturally concerned that you do not fall or hurt yourself. Just listen to your body. Your hip will tell you when you are not doing the right activity. Build up any new activity - starting slow and steady. You'll get there!
 
Bobbi....I love your spirit!! After all, you are NOT old!!! Lots of people your age and older are very, very active. And we've had quite a few here who have animals and do just fine. You will too. That new hip will be strong and help you do what you want to. You're so right about the mental and physical therapy that animals can bring. It gives you a purpose and joy in life. After all.....who wants to just sit around in a rocker when you can be active???

Once your daughter sees how well you're doing in a few months, maybe she'll be more comfortable with your lifestyle. I'm sure she's just wanting to esure your safety. But....I say you need to do what you enjoy and live your life to the fullest! That's what joint replacement is all about.

If you don't mind, would you please create a signature that includes your surgery date? To do this, mouse hover over your username at the top right of the screen. Choose Create a Signature from the drop down menu. Having this information handy on each of your posts makes it easier for us to provide the correct information based on where you are in recovery.
 
When you are recovered, you will have no problem caring for your animals. It sounds like they contribute a lot to your quality of life, so of course you will want to keep them.

It's great that your daughter is concerned about your well being and is taking an interest in your recovery. Of course, it is your recovery and, like her, you want the best possible outcome. Perhaps you can explain that to her and help her understand that you are not going to do anything to put yourself or your new hip in danger.

I had to have that talk with my own family after my THR. They had a lot of ideas about joint replacement and decided that my life would be much more limited than I wanted it to be. I listen to my hip though and that works for me.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
You guys made me cry with happiness! Finally, people who understand what I'm going through! And when I get on my computer tomorrow I will put a signature on here. I'm on my Kindle at 2am because I can't sleep. Not because of pain but because I can't shut my brain off. I'm trying to figure out how to do stuff on my own without having to bother anyone. My daughter didn't even come down today to see how I was doing. Right now I feel as tho she abandoned me just to show me how helpless I really am. She wanted me to wait another year before I got any animals because she has to take care of them. It only takes 10 minutes to feed them. I'm there for her any time she needs me. That is what mothers are for. This is the only time I haven't been able to care for my pets. Lucky for me a friend stopped out this morning and helped me. I'm going to move the rabbit dishes inside the hutch tomorrow so I won't have to feed them on the ground.
So what would happen if someone does fall down? If you land wrong, yes you could dislocate it. But can you fall and not dislocate it ? I know people fall down and break hips. I have very strong bones, I had a bone density test done about 6 months ago and it said I had a low risk for fracture. I'm active and drink milk. A lot of it. Lol. So I'm not worried about breaking anything. If I fell down now, I don't know if I could get up. I would be like a turtle on its back. Or a fish out of water. I have my cell phone with me at all times.
I can walk with one crutch! But I stick to the walker around the house.Now if I can just sleep at night. I might try taking my Lunesta at night instead of the Oxycodone. I don't want to take both of them. My pain is very low, so maybe just Tylenol? Thank you for letting me vent and a big thank you for understanding my animals.
 
@bobbi , you will find many posts here regarding my love for animals. I understand completely how important they are to you - indeed they are a major part of your life. I am so sorry your daughter doesn't agree but please don't let her discourage you. For now you just need to do what you can while maintaining any restrictions you have.

Falls happen to almost every new hippie and the first one is the scariest. Most do not result in dislocation - more embarrassment and some sore muscles the day after. I had 2 falls within my first 6 weeks of my LTHR. Yes, getting up from the floor can be a challenge. Just be very careful and don't rush. Trying to move around too fast makes us a bit more clumsy. Can you walk with 1 crutch around the house. I found that much more convenient than a walker. And that leave you with a free hand for feeding those animals.

Unfortunately sleep issues are a part of this recovery. Here's an article from our Library about it. Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it? Don't fight it. Nap during the day if you can. Things will ease. Please don't cut down on your pain meds too early. Aches and pains can also keep you awake.
 
Hi Jaycey,
Thanks for the info. You answered our biggest fear, falling down. Good to know it's not the end of the world if I fall down. It must hurt like crazy before the 1st month post op tho!
I can walk around with one crutch. I'm doing my leg lifts and see that it is getting easier even within 4 days of my doc showing me. I couldn't even lift my leg and now its pretty easy to do. I do those 3-4 times a day. I take a half of Oxycodone with one Tylanol. Tonight I'm taking my full dose of Lunesta. I want to sleep.
 
The first fall is so traumatic! I remember my first fall after THR. It is burned in my memory. I sort of remember my second and third falls. After that, I honestly don't remember them at all. I know it's a big deal early on though. Try to avoid falling down until you're a little further along in recovery. When you do fall though, you'll be okay. It takes a lot to damage an artificial hip.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
Hi, Bobbi! Oh my goodness, you sound like me! I know that's only been 11 days since my LTHR, but part of me insists that it's already been 11 days, why aren't you over it yet? Have patience, girl. Read, read, and reread the mantra...post it...put it on a loop recording for your family. :heehee: it is so hard for most of us who are ready to just get this behind us and get on with life. You appear to be doing great! Just stay with the meds until the pain is gone, keep the walker until you forget it one day. I had a RTKR in 2004 and sailed through that recovery. To be honest, I'm not sure this will be quicker. When my doc inserted the orthotic, it cracked the bone, so I'm also dealing with a minor fracture. P/T is kicking my butt, can't seem to get past the groin pain. But I WILL do this, and so will you!
 
We had a member here called Cfourhorses who had a Bilateral THR on 6/22/11. She had horses in a barn and field a short way from her house but with grit and determination, managed to see to them from a wheelchair before surgery and on foot afterwards! You should look at her post-op threads I rode!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I will read her post. Good for her!! You go girl.
It will be 4 weeks next Monday that I had my hip replaced. I haven't seen much progress as far as getting away from using the walker or crutches. I can use one crutch feeding the animals but I have no choice. It's very slow going. There is pain if I put too much weight on that hip. Same thing in the house. One crutch is slower then using the walker. I take one Oxy in the morning and two Tylanol in the afternoon. No matter what I take, the pain is always the same. Too much weight on it causes it to hurt.
 
Hey, I found my original post.
I just wanted to say it will be 4 weeks this coming Monday morning. I surprised myself by walking without crutches or the walker! I was so happy I was crying. Happy!!! I'm driving my car, I'm off the pain meds. I'm sleeping on both sides. I can take showers. I'm taking a drive with my daughter tomorrow, we are going to Duluth and rent a cabin for some peace and quiet. Wood burning stove and a huge bathtub. But I will be taking my walker an crutches just in case.I can't wait for the day when I leave the crutches behind me.
 
Well done @bobbi ! Sounds like you are right on track!
 
I'm having a set back or it seems like I am. I can't put weight on the new hip. I did before I went to Duluth and now I can't. It will be 5 weeks this coming Monday. Today is the 7th of Nov and my surgery was the 6th of Oct. So it has been 5 weeks. The doc said usually between 4 and 6 weeks you can walk unaided. Would someone tell my hip please? It doesn't matter if I take Tylenol, the pain doesn't change. My hip can't take full weight. The doc said I canot hurt my new hip, but it can sure hurt me at times. The doc said to give it 2 or 3 more weeks and if it's better to come back and see how him. No other pain other then putting full weight on it. I walk outide to do chores. I have stairs to go up and down. I rest, I take naps. What is going on.? I'm scared there is something wrong. Anyone have this problem?
 
The doc said usually between 4 and 6 weeks you can walk unaided.
There are no timelines for this recovery @bobbi . Please don't worry if you can't walk unaided right now. Use your walking aid until you feel more confident.

What have you done recently that might be a different type of activity? Walked more - twisted? Does this settle with rest and ice? What "chores" are you doing? It may be you are just doing too much too soon.
 
@bobbi just wanted to tell you not to worry. I am way out there at 81/2 weeks and I can't walk unaided. Well I could but it's not pretty. I just now am able to do pretty well with a cane. I know I go back and forth too. Feeling worried I am taking too long, then I have some progress and it eases my mind. I don't know what approach you had. I had posterior, so it does take longer. My OS just told me some people take longer than others. 3 months is not unusual or even some take up to 6 months to walk unaided. I know it is normal to make progress, then out of nowhere some different pain or problem pops up for a while and it feels like a set back. But in another few days we are back on track. Everyone calls it a roller coaster ride and it can be for sure. Hang in there. Most likely this will pass.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom