12 weeks post op on L TKR - Positive Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Parla - i was home alone from the first day. Came home on Sunday and the wife was back at work Monday. She did hook me up with a cooler of water, sandwich and snacks and she filled the ice machine so i was good to go for the day. after a few days i was able to get up and about more and would venture into kitchen to get things to have the sense of not being reliant on others. I appreciate my wifes efforts however i'm not one that likes to be waited on and i did not like feeling llke i was imposing. Plus i figured the more i got up and tried to do things the quicker i would bounce back. YOu should have seen the look on my wifes face when after being home alone on day 3 she comes home from work and i'm all freshly showered and shaved. Best of luck in your recovery. It sounds to me like we have similar mindsets so you should do well
 
I see. Not to be sexist but your caregiver is female & mine is male. There may be food but I am left to determine how to get it. You were left a sandwich & snacks & I get ingredients . Some men don't think that way ... They are more used to being cared for than giving care. You probably were asked if you were "ok" or "how do feel" ? I am asked "what do you want?" but usually have to text him or yell out. Now I sound mean & terrible but I do love my husband & he loves me after 22 yrs of marriage. I think he has a different "management" style than your wife. I hope bomesmarties everywhere won't think I am sexist but I do think there is a difference between male & female caregivers. This may start a debate!
Alan, thanks for your confidence in me. I need to work on that. Confidence, it's important! Hope you continue to recover so nicely!!
Parla
 
i have been taking part in a knee replacement study at the Brighams and womens hospital in boston where i had my surgery. I saw them today to answer some questions and to have the knee evaluated. they too are pleased with my progress.
i've noticed some on this board see their doctors (i assume thats OS) more than i have. is there a norm or is it case by case? reason i ask is that i saw my doctor at 5 weeks post op and i don't have to see him until the 1 year post op date. just curios as to the frequency that others have seen their docs.
 
Wow....5 weeks and then 1 year? That does seem to be less than most surgeons do for follow-up. Of course, as long as you are doing okay, there really is no reason to see him.....
 
yeah, i'm not complainiing about not having to drive into boston, its about a 1 hour drive each way and with trafic....well its no fun. Doc said unless i feel like i need to see him because something doesn't feel right, then see him in a year. he took xrays at the 5 week mark and said all was good.
 
I saw my doctor and 6 weeks and he said to keep up the good work and see you in a year. That was the quickest year, I have my one year check-up in June.
 
jerseychick - sounds like you have a similar timeline in terms of doctors visit. thanks for sharing as it is reassuring to know that others have a similar follow up schedule. the reason i had asked was when i was doing the eval yesterday for the knee study i volunteered for, the guy kind of looked surprised when i told him i didn't need to see doc for a year.
good luck on your one year check up. be here before you know it.
 
i saw my doctor at 5 weeks post op and i don't have to see him until the 1 year post op date. just curios as to the frequency that others have seen their docs.

It was the same for me (5 or 6 weeks). However, I know the O.S. would have seen me up to 3 months after surgery, no extra charge, if necessary.

I was surprised to be released so soon but it's a long drive and I had my bonesmart friends to lean on if I needed anything.:th_heehee:
 
I do love my husband & he loves me after 22 yrs of marriage. I think he has a different "management" style ...

Parla, I had to laugh when I read your post. My husband showed he "cared" by saying, "Don't do anything stupid" as he left for work while I was recovering from my surgery. lol
 
What does OS stand for? i see the term alot and its probably obvious so at the risk of appeariing stupid i'll ask.

Parla and Janlyn48 - my lovely wife of 25 years spoiled me bigtime. even now after 3 months i keep thanking her for taking such good care of me.
 
Orthopedic Surgeon & and they have to see you as many times as you need in first 90 days because that is care is included in surgery charges. The only time they can charge you for a post op visit in first 90 days ( in insurance known as global surgery period) is if you come in for a separate and unrelated problem. For example, you fell and hurt your other knee. Otherwise they have been paid for 90 days of care with the surgery & if you have problems visits should be at no charge.

Janlyn... funny that is what my husband says on work days too! Glad you understood. We are left ingredients and Alan gets a sandwich... LUCKY!

Alan -- it is nice you appreciated her. I have been really trying to show how appreciative I am, cause I feel bad, he works so hard and then has to come home and care for me... but we are all lucky, we have that!
 
OS = Othropedic Surgeon. Yup, i feel stupid for asking:DOH:oh well.

Yes, my wife is nice, i appreciate her immensely - 25 years June 8
 
Alan--I'm curious what surgeon you worked with from Brigham and Women's. I saw someone there last fall for meniscus issues and he talked some about TKR with me.

And I just realized I need to change my avatar!
 
Yes, of course! Good or bad, we allow them all - but nothing slanderous, okay! :th_heehee:

As for the reviews, I would say it's more like surgeon by surgeon than case by case!
 
thanks josephine.

gertie - surgeon at Brighams and Womens was Dr. Gregory Brick. i've been very pleased with him.
 
14 weeks now post op. graduated from PT today. big milestone for me yesterday - i cut the lawn for the first time in as long as i can remember without any pain AND without the bulky de-loader brace i used to wear.
after PT today i grabbed the golf clubs and went and drove a bucket of b balls. Again, no pain and no brace. next week off to Atlanta for a weekend of golf with a buddy.Life is good.
 
Alan I love reading your posts as you had your LTKR a few days before mine!
I'm glad to hear you are doing so well and getting your life back! even the fun parts LOL I mowed my lawn for the first time a few weeks back!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom