PKR 11 months post op problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not easy to find something else to do. I tried cycling, and I hate it. I can ride a recumbent stationary bike, but cycling is no fun for me. Swimming has always hurt my knees, so that never worked. Running was the only exercise I enjoyed, and I haven't been able to do it for ten years. I'm looking forward to doing more walking, but, frankly, my activity has been work around the house and the ranch and our other properties since I retired seven years ago, and I don't see that changing much. I do anticipate being able to do it with much less pain after I get the second knee done next year.
 
I always hated running...but I find pushing myself at whatever I'm doing is satisfying. I swim and bike, so I do push myself when I do both, just one more lap or one more mile.
 
I am so sorry your going through this. I also usta love to run but can't... I had a partial in Dec and by March I had to get revision.

It's been a nightmare since then. I have some issues with revision that I am getting looked at.

I wish you the best of luck... I hope everything works out for you!!!


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
@Dlekapj I am so sorry about your new knee, it must be even harder since you say the knee did not hurt.
I was never a runner but 2 years ago I got an app on my phone the would tell you to run for a few minutes and then walk. I got up to about 40 minutes of running and loved it but then the knees did not love it so I had to quit.
Hang in there, and at least you're not in any pain:shrug:
 
@Dlekapj
I'm sorry to hear that this has happened to you. I know that this is no consolation, but it may help you to stop blaming yourself, if you know that many PKRs have to be revised to a Total Knee Replacement (TKR), some of them even before as long as yours lasted.

I was one of the lucky ones, because my PKR lasted me 11 years. I think I was one of the exceptions. My revision to a TKR was nowhere near as traumatic as I was expecting. If anything, my recovery from it was a little easier than from the original surgery.

It's important that your get your revision done by a surgeon who specialises in doing revisions, and not just by a regular orthopaedic surgeon. A revision specialist sees a lot of problem knees and will have the experience to know the best way to improve your knee.
 
I'm putting this out here, just to hold myself accountable. Even since my doctor's appt and his diagnosis of what is going on with my knee, I've been in a funk. I'm not going to allow myself to do this!!! So. Please allow me to say this here and NOW. I will eat right, starting RIGHT NOW (just finished Chick fil A...) and I will find a form of cardio and exercise to do DAILY! (or at least 6 days a week as I take Sunday's off). There I said it. :swim::walking::biking:
 
Rowing is good cardio @Dlekapj - if you have a club near you and they use something like gigs with fixed seats then its a good cardio workout without the knee strain.
Just work up gently as I went hell for leather too early - competitive side being silly - and tore my rotator cuff!
How wearing is swimming hard on a new knee I wonder@KarriB ? Its a very repetitive action.
Its so hard to get the balance right - to keep your replacement healthy and for a long time and yet to do the active things you love.....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom