Guest viewing is limited

TKR 10k hopeful - May 31, 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So long as you're not hurting yourself it sounds like you've got a system going. Great news that the walking is getting better. It's great when you start seeing the progress, isn't it?
 
Oh, yeah, I had an issue so terrible with my first knee that I ended up in the ER. Miserable. I'm using stool softeners, which seem to do the trick this time.

On the walk, 10K doesn't sound at all unreasonable. I'm four weeks out and can do half my daily walk already, and 10k is a nice, celebratory length. I've been mulling a goal for the summer, to celebrate the completion of this long journey. Haven't decided yet, but it will be some kind of a walk.

Welcome,
Barbara
 
I did my first outside walk on the track this morning and it felt great! Completed just shy of half mile because I wanted to be sure not to overdo it and considering the fact that I only have 80 ROM. I walked with my cane and the wind started blowing so the cold was fierce, but it really did feel rejuvenating! I expected to feel sharp pains when I returned home, but not the case. No swelling:) will see what tonight brings.
Looking forward to the next....I feel confident that I can do a mile next go around.
Expecting my pt orders to come in mail today so I can call to make my first outside pt appt.

I'm guessing my body is burning calories while its healing because I've lost weight and I haven't been active except for pt, which is mostly stretching. With all the laying around I've been doing, I was concerned that I might pickup a few unwanted pounds. Not complaining, just wondering.
 
Congratulations!! Definitely smart to pace yourself and see how your body responds before ramping up.
 
A lot of us lose weight. It does seem to take a lot of calories to heal--plus,mi don't know abou you, but my appetite was off.

Good job on the walking!
 
Yes, my appetite is very different, which I'm assuming has a lot to do with the meds:what:
 
So happy to report that I completed a mile on the track today with cane... Took 45 mins but it was the best 45 mins of my life, as I felt so accomplished even though my normal is 12 min miles. My knee started to feel stiff at the end of the last lap, so I heeded the warning and headed back to car smiling and thinking I DID A MILE WITH MY NEW KNEE!;):wow::yahoo::happydance::happydance:

The first outside pt session was great on Thursday and I'm looking forward to returning on Tuesday. My rom was only 70 when they measured. She says they only measure while I'm laying on back and not sitting up, because the true range is what I can do when body is flat and not allowed to shift to hip. I still feel good about my healing process because I'm feeling better every morning I get up. I actually slept thru the night awaking at 9am this morning (a first since surgery) and I was able to comfortably lay on my side without a pillow propped between legs. I've only had 3 pain pills today and I just took the 3rd one a few minutes ago to assure a good nights rest.

I am looking forward to attending early morning church service, but not sure how comfortable it will be sitting for 2hrs. My husband won't have a problem leaving if it gets too uncomfortable for me, but hopefully it will be okay, as I'm very thankful to God for my healing and really enjoy being in fellowship. I will be sure to be well medicated:chillpill:

Thanks for all of the encouragement I've received from this forum, as it has been a huge part of my recovery mentally. May you all continue to be blessed with complete healing and looking forward to better quality of life. IT DOES GET BETTER! I'm learning that the more time passes, the more I heal and it has very little to do with the pt.
 
Hooray for the walk!!!

Two hours might be a long time to sit, but if you can sit where you prop it up and take some ice, you might last a bit longer. Enjoy!
 
Wow! The mile is great. You have a really positive attitude and it's working!
 
Hi @praise1989, and welcome :welome: to Bonesmart! Just happened upon your thread. Good for you walking a mile already :wowspring:I do believe that you will certainly be able to meet your target date of May 31, for the 10mile walk with no problem. You have a wonderful, and very positive attitude and that is half the battle right there. As long as you can see yourself achieving your goal, you will succeed. Just follow the mantras rest, ice, pain medication and try not to overdo it. Wishing you the best and continue to heal and get stronger each day.
 
You're moving along :walking:
 
Thanks so much for the cheers!;)
I did have a successful day on Sunday, even preparing dinner when we returned home, but after eating I was out like a light and never really got out of bed much after the long nap.

Pt today was great, even though a bit tough with the wall stretch. First time on bike:upright:of course not pedaling all the way. BIG NEWS IS ROM ADVANCED TO 85:wave:really looking forward to feeling what 95-100 feels like. So glad I like my physical therapist....she shows me what to do and then leaves me to do it (no pushing and shoving)

Met an older guy at therapy who had his surgery two weeks before me, and says he's only taking one pain pill a day now....I sure am looking forward to the day when I can say that. Anyway, learning not to compare myself to others and appreciating where I am on this journey. I can't deny that every morning brings a new level of healing for me and I'm so thankful to God for making a body that can heal while I sleep.
 
Hi @praise19889, just stopping by to see how you are doing. Wow, ROM of 85!! Way to go. That is so great. Keep up the good work.
I'm so thankful to God for making a body that can heal while I sleep
So true. We give the thanks to HIM. So happy for you. Take care of yourself. :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
ROM fell from 85 to 79.....my physical therapist was not happy:bignono: she said we can't go backwards. I agree! Not sure what happened, as my swelling is still going down and I actually woke up this morning not having to pop a pain pill for breakfast and walking without the limp...I was feeling rather dandy:happydance:until I got there and after a few exercises, she measured me and that's when the pushing started:bawl:OOOH THE PAIN as she attempted to get me back to 85 before leaving todAy. She managed 81, but it was all her and not me:cry:i personally don't think it was worth the mental anguish I endured and I wanted to say out loud "you're not suppose to do that!" But all I could muster was "it hurts"
In my Forrest gump voice......"that's all I have to say about that"
 
Boo on the PT. You can still have swelling inside the knee even if you can't see it. The fact that your limp is going away and you need less for pain is a good sign. Just keep working slowly and gently.
How are you now after all that pushing?
 
I agree with kneeper!
Don't let that PT push your knee at all.

It's perfectly normal for your ROM to go up and down by a few degrees and, really, 85 to 79 is nothing. It could even be explained by a very minor difference in placement of the measuring tool.

At just a month since your surgery, your ROM is quite acceptable. You're almost at the "magic" 90 degrees.

Can I suggest you put a stop to the pushing and the measuring? Measuring once every couple of weeks is quite adequate. For some reason, some PTs get really hung up on the numbers. Don't you do the same!
 
ROM fell from 85 to 79.....my physical therapist was not happy
She will have to get over it.

she said we can't go backwards.
She might not like it, but it is a fact of life, so to speak, during recovery.

Recovery is not linear---you will have ups, some plateaus, and some down times, too. don't try to figure out why, as your knee is in charge and it is not talking!

Recovery looks more like this:
[Bonesmart.org] 10k hopeful - May 31, 2015.


Do not ever let anyone push you to the point of pain. You may like this PT, but they cannot do this to you. Causing that kind of pain will bring about stiffness, more swelling, and----naturally---a decrease in ROM.
 
I so agree---think of the damage she is doing to your soft tissues as she pushes and shoves that knee. And really---you are supposed to just be in pain and that is it??? Really???? Would you let some woman slap you at church? Isn/t this the same thing?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom