MUA 10 weeks after TKRS and not yet happy

Thanks for all the helpful feedback. I am afraid that I am the snow shoveler whether I like it or not. My wife has a bad and painful case of shingles so snow shoveling is out for her.And it just won't quit snowing here,most unusual.
I have not mentioned previously that I have had two arthroscopic operations on my right knee as well [the replacement knee]. One about 25 years ago and one 3 years ago,but I doubt that they are currently a factor.
 
Is it possible to hire out the snow shoveling? If you don't have neighbors with kids who can help, there must be services in your area to clean snow.
 
I was just going to suggest that.
 
Sounds like you need to move to sunny SWFL! Seriously though, you are doing way too much. It hurts my knees just reading about it and my surgery was in July!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
 
Honestly no kids in our area. I wear a knee brace when I shovel. I do not find it onerous. In fact a rather like it along with the exercise. Neighbors do help some. I do not feel that I am doing any harm.
We normally winter in the Palm Springs area,but due to some other health issue were not able to go this year.
 
@BARBRI you say you don't feel it does any harm in one sentence yet complain of extreme pain in other posts!! If your knee is sore there is clearly a direct connection between the physical exertion you're going through and your knee pain!!!!
 
It's only what I told you many posts aqo. Night pain is the result of too much activity during the day.
 
OK. Reprimand administered. How do you plan to proceed? (hint -with care and a lot less stress on your poor knee!)
 
No more snow shoveling for the foreseeable future. Promise myself to take it easy this weekend other than stretching and maybe a little pedaling. And yes,you have all been consistent on your advise to take it easy. Thank you
 
Attaboy! Bet you'll feel the better for it! Hope you can get to Palm Springs in the near future. Who usually looks after your place when you go? Could they be enticed back to help out? It would be so good for your convalescence (fine old fashioned word!)
 
We plan to return to the Palm Springs area again next winter. We usually get house sitters from another Canadian Province to stay in our house while we are away. Temperatures to be above freezing for the foreseeable future so hopefully no more snow.
 
I wish that I had listened to you all previously about not shoveling snow. Having done so just about every day for the past week must have created extra stress on my knee causing the pain and stiffness that I am now experiencing. I thought that after almost 4 months post surgery that it would be okay. Wrong! I wonder if any permanent damage could have been done or that I have just prolonged recovery.Going to take it real easy for awhile and hope things get better.
 
I'm sorry you're having so much pain now. I'm sorry your good intentions came back and bit you.

I don't think you will have done any permanent damage, but you could have slowed your recovery a bit.

Lots of rest, ice and elevation, for at least a month, could help your knee to settle down and all the inflamed and angry tissues to become calm again.

All is not lost. Even at almost 4 months since your surgery, your knee is still healing, since complete healing takes a full year. However, 4 months is only a third of the way towards full recovery, so you still have plenty of time. Don't despair!
 
To add onto Celle's comment...yes you are 4 months post op, but only 3.5 weeks post MUA. The trauma of the MUA means your soft tissue was traumatized again and needs lots of TLC. Here's hoping you're able to take it easy give that TKR some TLC.
 
Thank you ladies. I again appreciate your comments and support. Here is my thinking for the next month or so. Daily stretching,rest,ice and elevation. Pedaling for 10minutes 3 times per week. Water rehab at an easy pace for 1/2 hour 2-3 times per week. Based on your knowledge and experience what do you think?
 
If you have pain at the end of the day or your knee swells than I wouldn't do that. Try once a week and just a few exercises. Then if that is ok slowly add more exercise. Be prepared to cut back when needed.
 
Everything you do needs to be gentle, listen to your knee and stop when it is unhappy.
 
Yes, the important thing is to reduce the pain. Get rid of the pain then start your activity, listening to your knee and being proactive when there is pain.
 
If you're in as much pain now as it sounds like from your latest post, you need to get that under control before undertaking ANY exercise. I would say take at least 2 weeks with no, none, nada exercising other than that 10 minutes on the cycle at a slow speed with no resistance. Judicious resting, icing and elevating is also called for until this pain subsides. Keep pushing when your soft tissues are inflamed like they are now and you really risk developing chronic regional pain syndrome #crps. That is pain which never goes away....believe me, you don't want that!
 
Back
Top Bottom