Guest viewing is limited

TKR 1 year anniversary, continued pain, seeking 2nd opinion

As sistersinhim said, there is still time for your ROM to improve. We have had people whose flexion continued to increase well after a year post-op.
Even if it doesn't, you should still be able to do most things.

This little list gives the degrees of flexion necessary to do various activities:
  • 65° to walk
  • 70° pick an object off the ground
  • 85° to climb up stairs
  • 95° to stand from a sitting position
  • 105° to tie shoelaces
  • 115° (or greater) to squat or sit cross-legged
  • 125°+ covers most activities. However, squatting or sitting on your heel may always prove challenging.
 
Moderators, will you please change my thread name to "One year anniversary with continued pain and seeking second opinion?" Today marks my one year. I am still having pain after about 5,000 steps and have to take a break. Standing for periods over several minutes also causes pain and swelling. This makes cooking, doing dishes, or shopping tough. I have a hard time doing stairs and getting out of cars. Worst of all, I can't get back on stage (was an actress) or dance. Not that I was expecting to go-go dance, ha! It's difficult not being able to exercise. I am seeing my OS today for follow up and have a second opinion appointment scheduled for next week as I believe my OS is going to tell me that this is as good as it's going to get. I think after all the reading and research, surgeons should ask if you have a tendency to develop keloid scars. If you do, PT should not even start until surgical swelling lessens or should be very GENTLE. I know that mine was way too aggressive. Bone Smart should be given to patients as a resource before surgery to everyone. I wish I had found you before I had my procedure so I would have known better about PT. To those who are prone to keloid, be very careful with PT. I am so sad and frustrated. I will let you know how it goes and try to remain hopeful.
 
@Kimbo1 So sorry you are still suffering after one year. Sounds like a good plan seeing someone for a second opinion. This surgery is supposed to get you back to living. I hope you find someone who agrees that you need to get your quality of life back.

Please keep us updated!
 
Well, not very good news from OS today. He said, it is what it is. He didn't recommend doing a lysis if adhesions because of the risk if infection or damage to the appliance. He also said it usually only adds about 5 degrees to flexion and wasn't worth the risk. He said if I want to try it, he'd do it. I mentioned the aggressive PT and he said that if I am an aggressive (keloid) person, this was going to happen regardless. His only positive comment was that "at least you can walk in level ground." I was glad I had a mask on so he couldn't see that my chin was quivering and I was about to cry. I'm going to get my second opinion next week, but any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. I am so sad.
 
I agree that wasn't a helpful appointment with your surgeon.
I hope your second opinion surgeon will be more helpful.
 
Has anyone had lysis of adhesions after more than a year? How did it go?
 
I remember that a former member of staff, Skigirl, had a lysis of adhesions.

She had to re-start PT very gradually and gently, but she had a good result in the end. She went back to her job as a ski instructor, so that tells you that she did well afterwards.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom