Guest viewing is limited

TKR 1 year anniversary, continued pain, seeking 2nd opinion

Don't feel sorry for venting--we totally get it. They don't tell you how much patience is required for this recovery.
 
Hello all. Just thought I'd check in. I was 5 months out on August 9th. At least I'm at the point where I'm counting months and not weeks. Ha! :egypdance:I still have swelling and stiffness every day. As soon as I stand up and start moving, the swelling starts. I'm not going to PT. I do my ADLs and walk heel toe and sometimes walk in the pool. By midday, I'm pretty uncomfortable and have to ice and elevate. I've continued to do that a couple of times per day. The good stuff is that I can drive and sleep. I'm so tired of my limitations as they are worse than before surgery. I'm trying to be patient and hopeful that nothing is wrong. The tight band feeling is strong as ever. I also get sharp pains up into my quads at times. I'd love to be able to walk briskly and take off some of my Covid weight!:heehee:
 
@Kimbo1 you seem to be about where I was at 5 mo. out. I too was happy to sleep and drive. Hang in there it will get better and better.
 
Six months out now. Some things haven't changed. As soon as I get up, I'm very stiff. I sort of limp until my knee loosens a bit and then I can walk. The other thing that starts as soon as I get up is swelling. Yep, I'm still having swelling all around my knee. The tight band feeling is also still there from the top of my incision to about an inch below the bottom part. My flexion fluctuates between 90 to the highest so far on July 4th of 110. I am driving and walking okay, but still can't do stairs leg over leg. By afternoon, my knee is so swollen and stiff that I am elevating and icing to relieve the discomfort. I sleep well too. I look forward to being able to exercise. When I try to do my recommended postop exercises, I have major swelling and discomfort. It takes a couple of days to get back to a more comfortable level of swelling. This surgery is definitely not for sissies or impatient people. I'm still hopeful that at some point I will be glad I had the surgery.
 
@Kimbo1 my first knee seemed to take forever too but at around 8 mo. it was so much better. I believe aggressive early PT caused an angry knee much longer than necessary. Plus we get to the point where we're done with the inactivity and overdo it, then pay for it. Ice and elevate and easy does it.
 
@Starsfan22 thanks for your comments. I'm so glad I found you guys here. No one else could understand how this feels except another "new" knee buddy. I will continue to be patient. Hope all is going well for you.
 
Hello all. Just about 7 months now on the 9th. I saw my OS this week for xrays and follow up.
My xrays look good, but I was told that I would not gain any further flexion. According to them, everyone who stopped PT during the pandemic is having issues with stiffness. I am having a little less swelling now, but still have the tight band feeling. Also, it feels like a huge knot is above my knee and keeps me from bending it. I am going to try going to a new PT next week to see if it may help. I have to say that my OS was not very encouraging and said that it's too late to do anything.
 
My ROM improved during my second year, and during my third, as my knee continued to relax and heal, so there’s a good chance yours will, too. It’s a shame more surgeons and PTs don’t realize this.

In this year long recovery (on average) 7 months is only a little more than halfway healed. I’m sure you’ll make more progress.
 
According to them, everyone who stopped PT during the pandemic is having issues with stiffness.
This is so not true. How in the world would they know that 'everyone' is having issues with stiffness. Stiffness comes from swelling, outside and inside. The inside knee capsule is a small area and any amount of fluid will cause the knee to feel stiff. Stopping PT has nothing to do with that. Normally it's too much PT or exercising that causes that swelling. Get the fluid out and the stiffness will reduce.

Your knee is still in the healing stage and will have ups and downs. Even after 4 years if I do something different my knee will stiffen and hurt. It's not because of the surgery it's because I'm using different muscles than I normally do. The rest of my body is the same way. If I do a lot of something different I'll have new aches and pains. Ah... the joy of getting older!
 
Greetings from Texas! Well, I started back to PT today. Sadly, my numbers were 80/10 at the start and increased only to 85/7 after my therapist worked on my knee. I do like him and he was very gentle and a great listener. He thinks he can help me and I'm going to continue to go twice per week for a bit and see if things improve. I hate the thought of a revision, but I know I still need to be patient too. So frustrating that I just want to cry.
 
@Kimbo1
You can click on the grey MUA prefix in the knee recovery forum, and a list of members who have had a MUA will pop up. Here is a link to the list MUA

Talk to your PT abut the pros and cons of dry needling, I know it can be beneficial.
Your PT should have advanced training in performing dry needling, ask them about their continuing education in this technique.
 
Hello. I am curious about MUA, but have not had one. I am 8 months post-op today and still having difficulty with ROM and tightness. Wondering if it would help, but not seeing many people having it at this late stage. Also curious about dry needling and am talking to my OT about trying it. Moderators, please change the MUA in my title as I have not had one. Thank you.
 
I've changed you prefix to "TKR".

Sine your flexion is still below 90 degrees an MUA may be in order. Ask your surgeon if he will consider it.

Having said that, I'll also warn you that there's no way of knowing whether an MUA will help, or not.
 
Thanks. I've actually gotten to 97/-4 since going to PT. Just wishing I could do a bit more.
 
We have had other slow to gain ROM members, here is a list of how their ROM increased over time.
Since you are past 90 degrees, sounds like time is what your knee needs.

Campervan’s ROM history
92 - 8 weeks post op
105 - 10 weeks
107 - 5 months
110 - 6 months
112 - 7 months
116 - 9 months
119 - 11 months
118 - 1 yr
120 - 1yr 2 months
125 - 1 yr 8 months and still this now at 1yr 10 months

Bertschb’s ROM history
1 month
- 60 degrees
2 months - 80 degrees
3 months - 85 degrees
4 months - 90 degrees
5 months - 90 degrees
6 months - 110 degrees
7 months - 120 degrees
8 months - 125 degrees
9 months - 130 degrees
10 months - 135 degrees
11 months - 140 degrees
12 months - 140 degrees



TortiTabby's ROM
3.5 wks: 75
6 wks: 85
7 wks: 90
10.5 wks: 95
14 wks: 100
17 wks: 105
20 weeks: 110
26 weeks (where I am today): 120!!!
It has now been 26 weeks and all I do is ADL.
I did it! My goal of 120! No "pushing through pain", no PT after the first 3 visits, and most importantly to me: No MUA! My surgeon who said I would never get beyond 85 ROM without pushing through pain was wrong, wrong, wrong. I'm excited to see if it gets even better.
 
Yes, I've seen those before. This is just incredibly frustrating and sometimes it helps to commiserate with those who are "in the know." Guess I just need to keep the faith and/or accept.
 
JGlow here I am experiencing tight painful calf musclesMy PT said I maybe overdoing the walking
I wondered if you would agree
 
I M at 4.5 months now, this past week able to go up and down stairs fairly good. R OM is 134. I too get real stiff when I get up from sitting bit after a few steps it goes away . Quad , calfs, and I.T. Band all get right and sore but using the rolling pin works wonders. I use it several times a day.
Also I got a cheap TENS unit from Amazon and was well worth the purchase.
Try the roller, see if it helps.
 
Hello moderators. Could you please change my thread title to "hypertrophic/keloid lady with ongoing stiffness and pain?" Had follow up with my OS who indicated he thinks this is what is contributing to my loss of function with my new knee. He's hoping I can get to 105 in January and thinks I won't get much more, maybe 110. I will be 9 months on 12/9/20. It is so frustrating. I believe that early PT to the point of major pain brought on more bad than good. For those who may keloid like me, don't let your PT push you too early. Listen to your Bone Smart folks. Even my OS looked at my current scar and said "you are still healing." Going to try IASTM. Also, already tried dry needling with little help. Stay safe all and happy holidays!!
 
I changed your title for you.

I am sorry to read about what your doctor thinks. Don't give up, though. It's possible to improve that bend years down the road. Many of us have done so. Try to forget about your knee and just use it in your daily living. The more it heals, the better the bend should be. Unfortunately, you are one of those that PT had a harmful effect on their knee. I learned years ago that our knees can heal and recover just fine with using it as it is supposed to be used and doing so gently.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom