THR 1 year after THR having thigh pain.

Good heavens, you are really struggling and again I am so sorry.
If it were me and I fell as you described and had no pain on the operative side? I would not be calling my OS.
Just be sure to monitor any twinges, etc for the next few days. Your THR is old enough to be very solid into the bone by now.
I just hope this doesn’t cause you more pain on your other side.
One week to go before you see your OS!
 
@KittensMom I’m so sorry you took a fall! I had a fall on my steps a few days ago…it is so scary after a joint replacement. I am so glad you landed on your unoperated side and that your new hip feels ok! It sounds like you are in the clear so far. Hope you can rest and give yourself some TLC.

As for traction on icy ground, you might look into pull on traction devices for your shoes. They are cheaper than a new pair of shoes and you can put them on when you need them and take them off the rest of the time. LL Bean has some good ones called Stabilicers. Trekking poles (hiking poles) are also helpful!

Best of luck and be safe :)
 
@KittensMom I’m so sorry you took a fall! I had a fall on my steps a few days ago…it is so scary after a joint replacement. I am so glad you landed on your unoperated side and that your new hip feels ok! It sounds like you are in the clear so far. Hope you can rest and give yourself some TLC.

As for traction on icy ground, you might look into pull on traction devices for your shoes. They are cheaper than a new pair of shoes and you can put them on when you need them and take them off the rest of the time. LL Bean has some good ones called Stabilicers. Trekking poles (hiking poles) are also helpful!

Best of luck and be safe :)

Thank you :) I've been looking at those as well, they are definitely the more sensible option. I'm dreaming of really warm, comfy winter shoes with studs on the sole, and a good ergonomic sole for my feet. I'm the type that once I have an idea in my head, it is hard to compromise :wink: But I've decided now I need to order a pair. No more waiting.
 
Good heavens, you are really struggling and again I am so sorry.
If it were me and I fell as you described and had no pain on the operative side? I would not be calling my OS.
Just be sure to monitor any twinges, etc for the next few days. Your THR is old enough to be very solid into the bone by now.
I just hope this doesn’t cause you more pain on your other side.
One week to go before you see your OS!

Thank you for the reassurance :) I thought as well immediately after the fall that everything was okay, and I am trying to hold on to this notion. It's so easy to let doubt in when it comes to health :flabber:
 
I am getting more and more restless with the wait for the call appointment with my OS next week., and there is another 20 days to go before I see her in person.

I went for a swim today, something I haven't done since summer. I could feel the pain at around lvl 4 while swimming, walking back from the metro I barely could avoid limping. I was swimming, walking, cycling this summer, all without pain. I'm feeling so down about the current state of me.

I get this impingement pain from time to time too, today it happened in the evening. Something gets stuck (soft tissue) and it's painful to move the leg up, and other times to straighten myself up.

I'm starting to suspect I may have Greater Trochanteric Pain / bursitis. And I suspect I might have had it before surgery. Simply because in many ways the pain I am experiencing often feels very familiar, just like before the operation. But it also hurts in new places like in my thigh above the knee.

I'm kicking myself that I am waiting this long for someone to see me. I'm tempted to call the OS office again tomorrow and ask whether they would see me sooner. Not sure if I should exercise, not exercise. Stretch, not stretch. They have been taking my new chronic pain very lightly and I'm frustrated (but mostly scared to keep waiting).
 
I'd say go ahead and call and see if they can work you in sooner. At worst, they'd filled up, but if you do get to bump up your appointment, that's less days to be anxious about it.

I'm sorry you're experiencing new pains, and hope they figure out what's wrong.
 
I had a nasty fall on my hip a few months after my op. It was outside a concert hall, and I was mortified. I as picked up and put in a wheel chair. My surgeon sent me for an X-ray and rung me and was very attentive.
There was no problem.
Hopefully, your hip will be the same.
 
Hello again. I would love some advice from you all.

- I am 38yo, 9.5 months from my surgery (posterior, cement-less), was completely pain free during the summer. Enjoying vacations, camping, biking, all without pain for the first time in my adult life.
- End of September I started having on and off pain in the front of my thigh, about 15cm above the knee, which first I could connect to activities such as walking too much in one day, or doing laundry (moderate lifting)
- The pain became more and more frequent and now for a month I have it every day and after less and less activity. Pretty much walking to the kitchen and doing dishes for 5 minutes is enough. The spot on my thigh first starts hurting, then it's hard to put weight on the leg.

I have been waiting for the appointment with my OS and today I had a call with her (meeting her in person next Friday, the 19th).
- Blood tests I did mid-December are perfect (ESR, CRP and white blood cells all normal)
- I told her I have been taking ibuprofen sparingly because I am afraid to not feel the pain and overdo it (=hurt myself more). She told me to take full dose ibuprofen and use crutches at home until I see her next week, "because the blood tests are fine and the xray I took on January 3rd looks good, so I shouldn't worry that I will hurt the hip more by walking / doing my daily activities". But here's the doozy... I live in a country where the patient always can read their journal online, and so I did, and here is the sentence that mortified me:

"We have an x-ray from January 3rd that shows a small zone around the femoral stem but the stem has not sunk into the medullary cavity."

This is Google translated, the second part of this sentence to me indicates that this "zone" means space :( I am just in shock, could this mean implant loosening? Why would she then tell me the xray looks good? I have been furiously internet searching for the past hour but I thought I would come here instead, maybe someone has some experience to share that would calm me down or offer some kind words. I still have 9 days to go until the in person appointment, I don't know how I will be able to think about anything else until then.

Many thanks in advance.
 
Last edited:
@KittensMom Interpreting x-rays can be difficult. And the language used (aka "medical speak") is confusing to those who are not physicians. And alas "Dr Google" just makes all of that even more confusing. And I, not being a medically trained person, can not add any clarity.

Your pain is real. And you need to discuss your pain and the confusing results report of that x-ray (and maybe ask about other imaging) with your surgeon.

Think back ... in September were you doing anything new or more strenuous than you had been doing? Did you take a fall or get hit hard in your leg? Was there any particular thing that happened that seemed to trigger the pain? Does applying ice to the area help with this pain? All of that information can help your surgeon figure out what is going on.

I sincerely hope that your visit next week will ease your worries and provide answers to your concerns. Do let us know what your surgeon says!
 
@KittensMom Interpreting x-rays can be difficult. And the language used (aka "medical speak") is confusing to those who are not physicians. And alas "Dr Google" just makes all of that even more confusing. And I, not being a medically trained person, can not add any clarity.

Your pain is real. And you need to discuss your pain and the confusing results report of that x-ray (and maybe ask about other imaging) with your surgeon.

Think back ... in September were you doing anything new or more strenuous than you had been doing? Did you take a fall or get hit hard in your leg? Was there any particular thing that happened that seemed to trigger the pain? Does applying ice to the area help with this pain? All of that information can help your surgeon figure out what is going on.

I sincerely hope that your visit next week will ease your worries and provide answers to your concerns. Do let us know what your surgeon says!
Thank you, I get it, I don't expect medical advice. I was more so hoping to hear if people have had cases of small spacing between implant and bone that didn't mean / result in the diagnosis of loose implant. Grasping hard for hope over here.
 
Wish I could help but all I will say is X-Rays are not 100% conclusive and sometimes MRI will be ordered to really see what's going on.
Hopefully you will get answers you need with your upcoming appt. In meantime if that sentence is troubling you I'd call the doctor's office & ask what it means in laymen's terms.
Keep us posted.
 
I agree with what @myglasshalffull posted to you. But seeing that report at least, gives you the opportunity to pull together a list of questions so you are prepared for next week.
Try to push the worries out of your mind, get busy with something to keep you occupied and off of your feet and I pray that next weeks consult gives you some answers.
I'm so sorry you are struggling.. I hope some of our members and staff have some examples of that small spacing to share with you. I suggest that you change the name of your thread that mentions something like "potential loosening stem and need advice" More people will notice your question that that way.
If you like this idea, just post here what you want it changed to and one of our moderators will get it done for you.
 
I agree with what @myglasshalffull posted to you. But seeing that report at least, gives you the opportunity to pull together a list of questions so you are prepared for next week.
Try to push the worries out of your mind, get busy with something to keep you occupied and off of your feet and I pray that next weeks consult gives you some answers.
I'm so sorry you are struggling.. I hope some of our members and staff have some examples of that small spacing to share with you. I suggest that you change the name of your thread that mentions something like "potential loosening stem and need advice" More people will notice your question that that way.
If you like this idea, just post here what you want it changed to and one of our moderators will get it done for you.
Thank you! Change of topic to "10 months after THR, potential loosening of implant stem, need advice" would help, thanks again.
 
Thread title edited as requested.

I am so sorry you're dealing with this issue and the anxiety involved. I do agree with myglasshalffull's advice to call the office of your surgeon and ask that question rather than worry about it for the next nine days. You may receive some reassurance and be able to let the negative thoughts go.
We're here for you when ever you need the support and we care. Wishing you peace and comfort.
@KittensMom
 
@KittensMom

I have read your entire thread because I was intrigued by the recovery of such a young person. I am starting my tenth week post op and am progressing much more slowly. I am hopeful for you that all goes well and you will be back to your activities soon! Don’t forget to ice even now. To me it works miracles! And I would call the doctor’s office. That’s what they are there for!
 
Thank you for all of your replies <3

I've spent the last two days with tears in my eyes. Mainly I'm praying the xray is wrong, and that my implant is all snug in there. My secondary hope is that even if there is some small spacing, my symptoms are not related to it. The only part of the internet that is not all doom and gloom about it is ChatGPT.

Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 08.57.49.png


Perhaps only for legal reasons, but I will take this bit of hope.

I decided not to call the OS office just yet. I have general anxiety disorder diagnosis in my records and I don't want them to think I am having an inappropriate emotional response.

On that note though, thinking whether to splurge on a therapy session next week. I poured all of my fears out on a call to my mom last night, but bless her, she's got her own ways of dealing with difficulties and the lecture I got on how I shouldn't have done anything since the surgery and just sat around for a year and protect the new hip, didn't really help my mood.

No improvement on full dose of ibuprofen, the pain keeps coming back as soon as I start moving around in the morning.
 
@KittensMom

I have read your entire thread because I was intrigued by the recovery of such a young person. I am starting my tenth week post op and am progressing much more slowly. I am hopeful for you that all goes well and you will be back to your activities soon! Don’t forget to ice even now. To me it works miracles! And I would call the doctor’s office. That’s what they are there for!

I am back to icing in the evenings and see some temporary relief with it. Wish I could do it throughout the day as well, but it's not possible with work.
 
Not certain of your work situation, but if you have a job that involves sitting, some have used a small cooler, desk side, to hold ice packs to apply periodically at work. Or, have stored them in a community fridge / freezer, if there is one. Lots of comfort to you, KittensMom.
@KittensMom
 
@KittensMom It is easy to get caught up in the reports from MRIs and x-rays. The radiologist doing the reporting has to mention everything he observes and what it might indicate. Your OS then looks at it and does his own interpretation according to what s/he knows about the situation and your history. From experience, I know what I thought was a significant finding just didn't seem to translate in the office when the OS went over it with me. If there was something that they were really worried about, they'd make a point of getting you worked in earlier or sent for more imaging. I know it's easier said than done, but try not to get too worried about the "what ifs" as you are waiting. They're out of your control right now and take up precious energy. This is something I have had to try and master my whole life, so I empathize. I'm glad you feel like you can come here to talk. We're definitely the empathetic ears you need if you can't find them in your own circle.

I took a couple of extra gel ice packs in a zip lock bag with my name on them to work and kept them in the break room freezer. During my break I'd apply them to my hip and it really did help me get through the day. No one seemed to mind that they were there and they kept me "in the game" so a win-win there.

Just be gentle with yourself as you wait for your upcoming appointment. Do walking and gentle movements/stretches to keep yourself from getting too stiff but don't take on anything aggressive. You'll know more soon. crossing each bridge as you come to it. That's all you can do at this point. Blessings of comfort going forward. Keep us apprised.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom