THR 1 year after THR having thigh pain.

It sounds like your body is mending nicely and you're stuck in anxiety over fear of the pain returning. Finding a way to process this fear sounds like the way forward.

I wonder if YouTube or taped whole body relaxation via breathing and "progressive muscle relaxation" will be a valuable tool for you.

The slow gentle movements of tai chi are excellent for centering and balance as well as re developing leg strength. It's best be done in live group lessons. And once you learn part of a form to do at home, it's like a moving meditation.

You've done the hardest part of healing... you can do this!
 
Just my opinion, but sounds like your activity level is pretty high right now and you're doing well. Whatever the problem was seems to be resolved, for now at least. I don't see any world in which building strength and mindfully performing activities you enjoy would CAUSE the pain to come back, but that's not to say it won't.

I'm a big fan of the live your life mentality, you never know what's gonna happen so enjoy your well functioning hip and get back to your activities. If pain comes back, you'll just deal with it then. Im glad you're doing so much better.
 
Just a few random thoughts regarding your current mindset and perception of your recover......Do you ever have a day where you don't think about your hip, or all of the things you are unable to do? I wonder if you have become hyperaware of every little thing and are putting pressure on yourself to meet certain goals, or get back to what you were doing, or what you'd like to be doing? Would it be possible for you to go about your day without counting steps, and perceiving that you are meeting/not meeting expectations? To just walk and do the normal things you do without keeping track so you don't feel you are not up to the standard you have set? My surgery was almost 6 years ago, and I remember how comforting it was when I literally would go days without thinking about my hip, or my losses from my previous life prior to all of the hip pain and subsequent replacement. Gradually I have developed a new normal, that does include pretty intensive gardening, longer walks, and some hiking at elevation at times. To this day, if I have increased pain in my hip area, I go back to the things that helped me originally: reduce activity (don't push through the pain) ice, acetaminophen, etc. This reset has always been helpful.
 
I have to agree with Debru here.
I'm over 2 years into recovery & I can do all I want/need to do but some days still need that ice pack or just a day to do nothing.
Year 2 has been fabulous but doesn't mean aches & pains won't come our way, hey I had aches & pains long before hip replacement.
I wish you the best.
 
Hi @KittensMom! I jumped back on this site bc I’m facing other joint replacements. Your post stood out to me as I’d dealt with the thigh pain you described. Mine began 5 months after THR and it was BAD! Turns out it might’ve been due to the spike settling in my femur bone. I had nerve testing and low back MRI. Both came out fine. I tried acupuncture with a recommended therapist/doctor. All pain was resolved probably 3 months after it began. I really hope you’re doing better!
 
Welcome back, @Serenity12! I'm sorry to read that you are facing another joint replacement.

Why don't you start a new pre-op thread and tell us more about what's going on?

Thanks,
 
Back
Top Bottom