MUA 1 Week post op

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think @tigz had a successful MUA. Take a look at her thread to see what she did.
 
Take those pain meds! While the pain didn't last as long as the bone-sawing pain of the TKR, it is painful those first few days, in the muscles that haven't been bent, in the joint where the adhesions have been broken up, in the soft tissue.

I didn't lose too much of the ROM I gained from the manip fortunately but the OS and the PT were expecting that I would. The pain behind the knee lasted a good while for me.

Ice ice ice!
 
I'm on the pain MEDS even tho my leg is still numb, lol.
Ok so here's my concern.. I STILL can't bend this thing. It feels exactly like it did before the MUA.. ie-back of knee deep inside is excruciating when trying to get past 90 and that "concrete not budging any more" feeling.

Is that normal or should I be able to bend it this soon after? And Can you tell this soon if the MUA was successful or not or does the swelling have to go down first before one can determine that?

I've read here of immediate increase in ROM afterwards in pt.. Which I def did not have. Even my pt guy said yesterday , " gosh I sure thot we would have something to work with here.."

I'm so confused..I sure thot I'd have post MUA ROM.
 
I would ask your doctor. I have to wonder if expectations are different depending how far out from the original surgery the MUA is performed?
 
My back of the knee is still giving me fits 4 wks post MUA. Saw my OS today . I had full range when I was under and the adhesions broke fairly easy .
Today I didn't show much improvement like I did the 1st week after the manipulation . Today we opted for a steroid injection to try and calm it down I go back in 3 wks. He says I am doing everything right just slow going
 
My back of the knee is still giving me fits 4 wks post MUA. Saw my OS today . I had full range when I was under and the adhesions broke fairly easy .
Today I didn't show much improvement like I did the 1st week after the manipulation . Today we opted for a steroid injection to try and calm it down I go back in 3 wks. He says I am doing everything right just slow going
What was your ROM before the MUA? And what is it now 4 wks post? What IS that deep back of knee pain? Do all MUAs get that? Does it prevent you from bending as well? ie-feel like cement?
 
Kameron, I just read your whole story, and my heart goes out to you! I sure hope this helps you, after you recover.

TRKR 9/29/15
 
The doc had me at 87 , pt a bit more before
Yesterday doc had me at 92',but I had also rode for 1.5 hrs in the car. Pt gets me about 100.
The Pain behind it is more like a grab when I pull back , a muscle or tendon cramp. I had that before the MUA.
After the MUA though the un giving stiffness in the front and side is all but gone . I don't think the back is really an adhesion more of a soft tissue damage thing .
 
The idea on YouTube about wrapping your knee in saran wrap was a game changer for me, you ought give it a try for the 2 am pains and good luck in your recovery
 
I've been reading your thread with interest as I had an MUA at the end of October and my rom has gone right back to 45 degrees. I'm totally disillusioned as you probably are but hopefully we should both see some improvement soon.
 
Ok so here's my concern.. I STILL can't bend this thing. It feels exactly like it did before the MUA.. ie-back of knee deep inside is excruciating when trying to get past 90 and that "concrete not budging any more" feeling.

Is that normal or should I be able to bend it this soon after? And Can you tell this soon if the MUA was successful or not or does the swelling have to go down first before one can determine that?

I've read here of immediate increase in ROM afterwards in pt.. Which I def did not have. Even my pt guy said yesterday , " gosh I sure that we would have something to work with here.."
Well, your OS forcibly bent your knee right back, so that your heel touched your bottom. That's a long way from the 90 degrees you had before and it's bound to have caused some damage. You'll inevitably have lots of swelling, both external and internal - all of which is going to prevent ROM.

So, give your knee lots of rest, ice, elevation, gentle treatment, and lots of TLC. It doesn't need lots of exercise, or trying to make it do more than it can. It's probably in shock. You know, there's a reason why you need an anaesthetic for a MUA. It's because doing it while you can feel would cause excruciating pain - and pain is a warning that harm is being done.

Don't get trapped into thinking that doing lots of exercise will improve things - it won't. Just a very little, gentle exercise is all you need. Anything more than that is just going to make your knee even more angry and inflamed.
 
Well, your OS forcibly bent your knee right back, so that your heel touched your bottom. That's a long way from the 90 degrees you had before and it's bound to have caused some damage. You'll inevitably have lots of swelling, both external and internal - all of which is going to prevent ROM.

So, give your knee lots of rest, ice, elevation, gentle treatment, and lots of TLC. It doesn't need lots of exercise, or trying to make it do more than it can. It's probably in shock. You know, there's a reason why you need an anaesthetic for a MUA. It's because doing it while you can feel would cause excruciating pain - and pain is a warning that harm is being done.

Don't get trapped into thinking that doing lots of exercise will improve things - it won't. Just a very little, gentle exercise is all you need. Anything more than that is just going to make your knee even more angry and inflamed.
I do need to remember this and the other comments as well. And as mentioned, I do have swelling but not a gross amount. My pain is barely noticeable and its more of a slight muscle ache only when I touch my quad (Well, unless i try to bend beyond 90). It's like I've done a few too many leg extensions in the gym. Other than that, no cramping, knots, bruising , etc. I went to a brand new pt today who was awesome and did all sorts of new modalities. I guess when this swelling goes down in a week or two I'll know if the MUA was a success.
Is there anything one can do to prevent scar tissue from forming in the meantime? I think I know the answer...
 
The doc had me at 87 , pt a bit more before
Yesterday doc had me at 92',but I had also rode for 1.5 hrs in the car. Pt gets me about 100.
The Pain behind it is more like a grab when I pull back , a muscle or tendon cramp. I had that before the MUA.
After the MUA though the un giving stiffness in the front and side is all but gone . I don't think the back is really an adhesion more of a soft tissue damage thing .
@spinnerdiva ,that pain thing behind your knee..is it really deep inside? mine is, and doesnt hurt until i try to pull more than 90. which i find weird b/c i would think the behind the knee thing would only hurt when extending which mine doesnt. is this expected to go away? and any idea what it is?

The idea on YouTube about wrapping your knee in saran wrap was a game changer for me, you ought give it a try for the 2 am pains and good luck in your recovery
@moretennis, is this for increased ROM or pain?

I've been reading your thread with interest as I had an MUA at the end of October and my rom has gone right back to 45 degrees. I'm totally disillusioned as you probably are but hopefully we should both see some improvement soon.
@Craig1, what did the doc get you too during the mua? what were your expectations? mine expectations were go to sleep at 90 degrees and wake up with full ROM since i had full pre-TKR. im exactly where i was pre-MUA-90 degrees which is unacceptable. Before I had the MUA, i asked the OS, if this doesnt work then what. HE said, he'll do 2 MUA's then a scope. I moved to tampa area and am done with my original OS. My new pt yesterday already has another "cleanup" guy she wants to recommend should this MUA not be successful. Im thinking I need to go head and get is number...
 
@KameronSteele the surgeon only got my rom to 100 degrees after the MUA. Before my TKA I could bend my knee right back and my sitting position was always with my knee folded beneath me. It is very difficult to accept that I haven't even got a 90 degree bend which would at least let me sit normally and go up and down stairs properly.
 
@KameronSteele the surgeon only got my rom to 100 degrees after the MUA. Before my TKA I could bend my knee right back and my sitting position was always with my knee folded beneath me. It is very difficult to accept that I haven't even got a 90 degree bend which would at least let me sit normally and go up and down stairs properly.
@Craig1 , did the OS have an explanation? and are all your MUA's on the same knee? What's the next step..a scope? And why did the OS think 2 MORE MUA's after the first would be successful? My OS said 2 MUA's then a scope but I think Im going right for the scope if this MUA doesnt work and so far its not promising. Maybe the swelling will settle down and allow more ROM..fingers crossed.
 
@KameronSteele my surgeon hopes that my knee will go beyond 90 degrees, I would much prefer about 120 though it's looking less like it by the day. Yes all my MUA's were on the same knee. I was a bit doubtful with this one as two years have passed since my knee replacement. I've never been offered a scope, is this to remove scar tissue? My next decision if rom doesn't increase is to either leave my knee as it is or look for other options. I am not doing any physio for the next couple of weeks as advised by @Celle to see if that helps.
 
@Craig1 , I don't know how the process works in the UK, but after you recover from the latest MUA why don't you seek a second opinion from an orthopedic surgeon unaffiliated with the one who performed your TKR?

Sorry about the thread derail, @KameronSteele . It sounds like you're making progress now!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@spinnerdiva ,that pain thing behind your knee..is it really deep inside? mine is, and doesnt hurt until i try to pull more than 90. which i find weird b/c i would think the behind the knee thing would only hurt when extending which mine doesnt. is this expected to go away? and any idea what it is?

I am not sure if I would say deep inside . It does not hurt extended on,y when I pull back and it tightens and grabs . I can be sitting an not realize it and move my leg back and it will grab and be very painful and then let go, does seem to kinda snap now trying to go up stairs . This was the same areas I had extreme pain prior surgery .When it would happen I couldn't straighten my leg until it released . I would be walking and it would grab ,kind of like something was caught in the joint space
 
@KameronSteele my surgeon hopes that my knee will go beyond 90 degrees, I would much prefer about 120 though it's looking less like it by the day. Yes all my MUA's were on the same knee. I was a bit doubtful with this one as two years have passed since my knee replacement. I've never been offered a scope, is this to remove scar tissue? My next decision if rom doesn't increase is to either leave my knee as it is or look for other options. I am not doing any physio for the next couple of weeks as advised by @Celle to see if that helps.

@Craig1 , i would so get a second opinion as @Clipless said. Two years is plenty of time for your current OS to fix the problem..keep in kind he may know that you will never get any more bend but can't "admit" this so he just keeps trying MUA's just so you'll think he's at least trying something. And yes a scope is to remove scar tissue. My new pt said Friday she wanted to refer me to a "redo specialist." She said my current prosthetic may be the wrong size or the wrong one for me and it cant hurt to get a second opinion." I agree and will try to get an appointment soon. I cant see the point in another MUA. I tell you this so you dont get "lulled" into thinking one OS knows everything. It may be blatantly obvious for another OS to see your issue on an xray and fix ou right up with a simple scope. I too, like you had full ROM before surgery and I only have 90 now! THAT is unacceptable to me. Dont give up @Craig1.

Sorry about the thread derail, @KameronSteele . It sounds like you're making progress now![/QUOTE] no worries..we are all in this boat..rowing togther!!:kayak:

@spinnerdiva , i have that exact pain. Did your OS have any idea what it is? I still havent been able to talk with mine post MUA. I emailed but haven't gotten a reply yet.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom