MUA 1 Week post op

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, a month. I had an infection debridement surgery that also replaced my spacer. The infection surgery was 11-27 and the the knee didn't stop seeping until 12-26 with IV and oral antibiotics. No bending until the seeping stopped. For the first 3 weeks I soaked through bandages 3 times a day. I was beyond depressed. But after lots of prayer we saw an improvement and my OS finally said I could take the imbolizer off for a bit here and there as week as non-aggressive bending. And I absolutely adore me revision specialist. I would have done anything he said to get better.
Definitely ask your OS about continuing to try the bike. I felt that loosened my knee a bit along with heel slides. I didn't do much else at first, but month 4 I began weights with my TKR.
 
I wouldn't guess what your flexion is, but it doesn't appear to be 90 degrees yet. One thing you might want to try : when I came home from the hospital the 1st week one of the exercises my surgeon's therapist had me do was measure how far I could bend using a yardstick. You actually need another person to do this. Lay on the bed, place a yardstick with the cm side up and the "0" at your heel. Bend your knee as far as you can without too much discomfort and record the reading. My therapist called me everyday the first week to see what my readings were. This allowed them to determine if my swelling was increasing. I can tell you when I was at 40 cm that equaled 90 - 92 degrees, 48 cm equaled 105 - 110 and 57 equals 120 - 126.
 
I wouldn't guess what your flexion is, but it doesn't appear to be 90 degrees yet. One thing you might want to try : when I came home from the hospital the 1st week one of the exercises my surgeon's therapist had me do was measure how far I could bend using a yardstick. You actually need another person to do this. Lay on the bed, place a yardstick with the cm side up and the "0" at your heel. Bend your knee as far as you can without too much discomfort and record the reading. My therapist called me everyday the first week to see what my readings were. This allowed them to determine if my swelling was increasing. I can tell you when I was at 40 cm that equaled 90 - 92 degrees, 48 cm equaled 105 - 110 and 57 equals 120 - 126.
what a great idea. I will try that. and I agree..i don't think im even close to 90..more like 35-40..
 
From the photo you posted, it looked like about 60 to me, Kameron. Definitely more than 45 but certainly less than the desired 90.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
..i don't think im even close to 90..more like 35-40..
Nope - it's 65 on the nose! So I would really beg you to stop fretting over this as you most definitely have adhesions and need an MUA. I might add this is - you are very unlucky and a very rare case to get this amount of adhesions only 3-4 weeks out.

That picture was perfect btw! Mind if I keep it on file to show other members how to do it?
 
@Josephine, please keep the pic to show others. Stop fretting? Yikes. That was a tough thing toread first thing in the am. And Is my lack of ROM at 6 weeks is the reason you feel I am an candidate for MUA? Is it not too early to determine? Is it possible to get more rom from here? Am I wasting my time w icing and elevating? Is there anything I could have done to prevent adhesions/needing an MUA?
 
No you're not wasting your time but it does seem you have a problem since, from what you've thus far posted, it hasn't changed much in the last couple of weeks and from the description that it just 'won't bend'. These are indicators that an MUA would be useful so I suggest youn contact your OS fairly soo.

As for the 'don't fret' crack, I was merely trying to encourage you that this is not your fault.
 
Ok back from appt..he asked how I was doing I said, "mentally not good. I expect more from me, my knee. my ROM is terrible, according to me, and doesn't seem to be improving." he asked what I had been doing for exercise. I said nothing except a heel slide here and there. i mostly ice and elevate. i think i angered it early on. im concerned ab MUA. do i have adhesions/ scar tissue? he said oh yes, everyone does but you are still early on and i think w/ gentle pt and passive ROM you can break the tissue. some of what you have is internal swelling too. he put his hands on my knee and felt the heat, swelling, etc. he said "as i said, its still very early and too soon to tell but ill keep it (mua) in the back of my head. even if it were 12 wks and we did mua, you still have to deal with swelling and an angry knee. he said every knee is different and heals differently and your ROM may come later rather than sooner. it seems as if you may have more of an inflammatory response than other pts. if we were at 12 weeks i would say yes, maybe MUA, but now i think you still have time to get rom. right now, im not so concerned w/ bending as straightening. there is always time for bending. but now we need to get you to zero.

most patients we do not send to pt but you are a prime candidate for pt (ph therapy) and i think youre ready and it may help. they can do passive ROM, myofascial release, deep tissue, etc and gently try to work out the stiffness and swelling. take meds before and ice after. my first pt apt is set for tom at 3pm.

as i was sitting in a chair he asked me to bend as much as i could, he said "that's pretty good. can i try? he tested ligaments first then pushed my leg/knee back. the knee physically went to 90 pretty easily (not too much resistance) but it was VERY uncomfortable. he asked me to get on the table and then lying flat wanted me to bend and then straighten as much as i could. i didn't get very far. he said only exercises i am to do at home are prone hangs and ice with a pillow under my ankle only. no more pillows under my thigh or leg. he thinks i have a contracture preventing the straightening which can also affect bending indirectly. he said it will be uncomfortable but i have to deal w/a little discomfort to progress. he said don't let pt hurt me though.

forgot to mention, i sat up w/my feet dangling off the table..for about 10 minutes maybe and he said, "look... your at 90..pull back more if you can.." i got a few more degrees with incredible stiffness and tightness i might add. i guess him messing with my knee the first 15 minutes allowed it to bend more as i was dangling. he said, "in 6 more weeks you can get to 100 i feel certain. that's only a little bit from where you are now. if you're not there at 6 wks we'll talk but for now just get to zero and 90. ice, elevate, tramadol and Naprosyn."

he said, "don't panic yet..im not. see you in 6."

sooo... that was better than i had thought. im excited ab my first pt session. ill report back after that. see you all tom evening.
 
Well that is a fairly positive report, your must be quite pleased with that. Looks like your OS has his head screwed on properly regarding mua and extension. Good luck with your Physio tomorrow.
 
Great news... Sounds like a reasonable and realistic OS. This should put your mind at ease a bit and hopefully being less stressed will help you relax into your ROM... Great report! Sounds like you may be your worst critic (we all are).
 
That sounds very reasonable. It is early for you, you did nearly get to 90 on your own while dangling your leg and not thinking about it, and at 12 weeks, if you still need one, it's a viable option. Sounds like a good report.
 
Well, that was a good appointment with what sounds like a wise dr. I found letting my leg dangle off the pt table worked well and I have a very high bed and was able to dangle from there also. To easily work on extension /straightening I let my leg bridge between an ottoman and the chair I was sitting in. The weight of my leg and natural gravity did the trick for me and extension was never a problem.
So no fretting over an MUA for now, time is what he wants and gentle pt may help also.
 
Great report! Much better than you expected. Good luck with therapy tomorrow. You're going in the right direction.
 
I like your OS! :) Mine feels the same way about extension... I finished PT at 5, not sure where I am now, but I keep working on it!
 
Sounds like you have a very kind and reassuring doctor. Will be interested to see how your PT goes. Hope it will help tremendously.
 
Your OS sounds very calm & unflappable. There are some of us who just have a very strong inflammatory response - and I'm one of them. After my 1st knee the swelling was unreal - for weeks I felt as if my skin would tear apart I was so swollen and my knee was hot, hot, hot. My ROM was a tiny bit better than yours & I worried constantly. 3 months post op I was still swollen, only OK ROM, using ice regularly & elevating. I'm a nurse so I was able to get some compression dressings from the Burn Unit which did help a bit. I also used the kenesio tape & thought that helped too. No one thing made a difference - I think it was just took me a whole lot longer to heal. For my 2nd knee my OS gave me IV steroids during the surgery & 1 day post op. I swear that made a HUGE difference. My swelling was way less, my ROM was really good, & the pain more manageable. Time is what you need, massage is wonderful, and you have a wise OS.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom