Guest viewing is limited

TKR 1 Down, Two to Go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love to pack my bags and join you in Hawaii. We were there 24 years ago for our honeymoon. Our anniversary is next week.

You are doing GREAT with your recovery. I take benadryl to help me sleep well through the night.

I was almost 2.5 months before I could think about driving - and I started with a bit of a leash - not more than 10 miles from home. My sister wanted me to think of joining her for something that would have meant a 3 hour drive when I was about 3 mo. post op and I had to turn her down. I wouldn't have been able to drive that far. We did a long trip 14 hours of driving when I was 4 months post op, by stopping every hour or two for a 10 minute stretch break.
 
Lord willing and the creek don't rise, at almost 8 weeks I feel really good! Last weekend I spent in Phoenix at spring training, took a shuttle to the local airport about 90 minutes away, flew to the Phoenix airport, walked quite a bit around the resort where we were staying, walked to and from parking at the stadium, sat through two baseball games, then reversed the flight/shuttle to get back home. I could definitely tell I'd had the knee done, had some tenderness and swelling, but after icing and elevating in the evening, I was ready to go the next day.

This week I climbed two flights of stairs to the second floor at the gym, used the LifeFitness equipment, including the leg press (very little weight), and rode the stationary bike for 20 minutes. Still having some sleeping issues, but then I always do. Energy level is getting better too. I have my own elliptical trainer so I'm planning to use that 10-15 minutes twice a day, will continue at the gym, and hope to start doing some exercise at the city pool this week. Need to get back in shape as knee #2 has a surgery date in July!

My OS does the "minimally invasive" surgery (couldn't tell it by looking at my scar - I was expecting an ittiy-bitty scar, but it's about 6 inches). Parts of the scar look great, other areas are puffy, wide, and red....so I started using ScarGuard on Monday, and it does seem to be helping...or maybe that's just my wishful thinking!

I'm spending a week in Hawaii at the end of April, then I hope to go to Boston in early June. If my second knee does this well I'll be thrilled!

Best wishes to all in recovery...it's definitely worth it!
 
Congrats, Carolyn! Wow....you've come through this with flying colors! I can't believe all you've done already! Just goes to show....we are all different.

I'm doing pretty good, though. Just finally begun feeling a bit "normal" now. I'm not near as active as you are, my bend isn't more than about 90 so far, and my stamina still needs lots of improving, but I do notice that I'm getting better and better each day. Just two more weeks until I do it again, so I'm trying to wrap my brain around that fact now! I'm looking forward to the day that I can also say "it's definitely worth it!" And.....I will say that!

Take care, and enjoy your travels!
 
This week I climbed two flights of stairs to the second floor at the gym, used the LifeFitness equipment, including the leg press (very little weight), and rode the stationary bike for 20 minutes. Still having some sleeping issues, but then I always do. Energy level is getting better too. I have my own elliptical trainer so I'm planning to use that 10-15 minutes twice a day, will continue at the gym, and hope to start doing some exercise at the city pool this week. Need to get back in shape as knee #2 has a surgery date in July!
You are doing great!! Just keep listening to your knee--ice and rest when you need to! Take it slow and steady.
 
10 week check up, and this knee doesn't have to go back to the OS for a year! However, knee#2 has a surgery date of July 9. At least I'll know what to expect this time! Fingers and toes crossed that the second surgery goes as well as the first.

Thanks to everyone for your support and this board!
 
Whooo hoooo! Three months out and I went zip lining in Hawaii today! I did great! The zip line part was a snap.. Climbing the hills between the towers, not so much. But I did it! Next year I'll be back with two good knees, and maybe I'll even be brave enough to let go the death grip on the handles!
 
Awesome. I want to try that on our next trip there, whenever that is. I hope to have knee #2 done in Dec., so not next winter (boo!) But like you, I'm living my life -- and it's my other knee that's the bad one now.
Yours in healing.
 
Three months out and I went zip lining in Hawaii today!

Sounds like you are doing fantastic! Especially if the other knee is still original equipment and scheduled to be replaced. Are you giving that knee one last hurrah and sending it on its way in a blaze of glory!?

Glad you are doing so great, do be sure and update us when you get the chance between zip lines and sunshine! :SUNsmile:
 
Good morning, all! Knee #1 continues to do well. I walked all over Boston last week with nary a twinge! Now I'm gearing up for knee #2 on July 16. Have all fingers and toes crossed that it goes as well as the first one. I had a nice conversation with the nurse manager on the surgical floor because I complained about some things after the first surgery, and she assures me that they've addressed the issues and I will have a "much better experience." I'm programming her direct line into my cell phone just in case!

Would appreciate your good wishes on the 19th!
 
Forum administrators, maybe you could change the title of my thread? How about "1 down, 1 to go"
 
CarolynS, title has been changed per request, and you'll be put on the July surgery list! But you say 16th and then 19th----so which is it?
 
Whoops, surgery is the 16th, I should be going home the 19th. Guess I'm trying to block the intervening days from my mind!
 
Good luck on your next surgery, Caroline! You are a trooper and I'm so glad to see that you let your common sense prevail over the consistently bizarre model of PT that I, and so many others are subjected to, at least here in the US.
I went through the exact same nonsense , and horrible pain, until I quit therapy, refused the MUA they kept trying to subject me to, and did things the way Josephine and the others on this forum suggested. I also had a lot of trouble with pain management both in and after the hospital..if you can't sleep you can read about how that was resolved on my own recovery thread!
I'm in my seventh month and doing fine. The hot humid weather we're having has the knee a bit swollen and tight, and I still ice regularly when I have overdone my activity, but mostly I am doing all the things I did before and a whole lot more.
We will be cheering you on!:dancy:
 
Good luck on the 16th for your second knee Carolyn! Wow walking Boston and all went well with knee #1, that's great for 4 months out good for you!:friends:
 
Good luck Carolyn! The second one will at least be paved with the experience of your first. All the lessons you learned will serve you well!

We will be here waiting to cheer you on and support you in your next recovery!

Be well,

Dawn
 
I'm almost afraid to say this out loud for fear of jinxing myself, but so far knee #2 is doing better than knee #1. It felt better almost from the get-go, and unlike with the first knee when I had so much swelling I could barely get a shoe on, I've had almost no swelling at all. I asked the doctor why the big difference, and he had no idea....same procedure, same equipment, same hospital, same surgeon...guess each knee really can be different.

The surgery was July 16 and I came home July 19, as planned. Still very stiff, of course, especially when I've been in one position for a while and want to change to another position. "OK, knee, it's time to move. What, you don't want to move? Tough." I can get my leg on and off the bed without using the belt, can walk around the house (carefully, and being sure there's a nearby wall just in case) without the walker, rest/sleep for a few minutes on my side (a great relief since I'm not a back sleeper)...in short, I'm about 2-3 weeks ahead of where I was last time.

I don't have very much pain, just stiffness, and when it's time for my pain meds I find that no position I put my leg into is really comfortable, so I'm taking Percocet every six hours as prescribed. I'll get the staples out Monday and start with physical therapy Wednesday. I have the same therapist as the first time, and we got along well, so I'm expecting that will continue. He pushes a bit, but only until I say enough, so he'd not one of the physical torturers that so many in the US seem to encounter.

My right knee, the first one, is actually bothering me a bit. It seems to be more "clunky" and I can feel more movement in the joint when I change positions in bed. I think that's probably a result of moving differently in order to protect the left knee, but if it continues for very long I'll ask the OS about it.

Fingers crossed! And I hope that all who are still struggling get to their happy place very soon. It is worth it! If it isn't yet, it will be!
 
Great report! Congrats on your progress so far. Here's hoping this is the beginning of a great recovery!

Be well,

Dawn
 
Follow up and probably my last post here, as I'm doing great! I'm 9 weeks past my second TKR. Saw my surgeon and he's released me....I can hike, bike, do anything I want! In fact he said my recovery from both knees was impressive - generally his practice tells patients to expect a 4-6 month recovery, so at just past 2 months I'm ahead of the curve.

I'm so lucky that I was able to keep fairly active in spite of the knee pain, and I'm sure that played a part in my good recovery. Everyone's recovery is so different, as is quite apparent to anyone reading the posts on the forum. My very best wishes to all who are still having a difficult time. Patience and perseverence will see you through!
 
Follow up and probably my last post here, as I'm doing great! I'm 9 weeks past my second TKR. Saw my surgeon and he's released me....I can hike, bike, do anything I want! In fact he said my recovery from both knees was impressive - generally his practice tells patients to expect a 4-6 month recovery, so at just past 2 months I'm ahead of the curve.

I'm so lucky that I was able to keep fairly active in spite of the knee pain, and I'm sure that played a part in my good recovery. Everyone's recovery is so different, as is quite apparent to anyone reading the posts on the forum. My very best wishes to all who are still having a difficult time. Patience and perseverence will see you through!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom