TKR 1 Down, Two to Go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantastic Carolyn, the proof is in the pudding as they say, now go forth and feed your friend some of that pudding! :heehee: Welcome to the "Bad Girl Club"! :heehee:
 
Hi, Carolyn....sorry I'm getting into this discussion a little late, but you've been given the best advice by our BoneSmarties!!!

I'm wondering when this "friend" of yours got her medical degree? :heehee: It's always amazing to me how folks seem to have all this knowledge to give to others. Your approach to just ignore it and thank her for her concern is right on target. Then go about your recovery as you are doing. You ARE doing fantastic!!!
 
I guess it's a fact of life that friends' words sometimes hurt or bother us. And yes, that validation from the professional is nice to have! Glad you're feeling better.
 
Suspect she's jealous, or something akin. It sounds as if she went to hell and back with hers. But that's still no excuse for raining on your parade. Your progress is outstanding. If she's not a real friend -- just an acquaintance or whatever -- you can change your FB settings to block her or not see her posts or whatever. Enjoy your new life!
 
Good morning, everyone. I had a better night's sleep last night than I've had since receiving my "friend's" email, and I woke up resolving to have a better attitude. She was truly concerned about me, and although she went way out of line in the way she expressed that concern, I'm trying to be more charitable toward her.

And then I started wondering.....I'm a pretty forceful person myself....have I ever done something like this to someone else, with the best of intentions but in a hurtful/harmful way? I don't remember any occasions where I might have, but then I've lived a pretty long life and my memory isn't what it used to be. So I mentally apologized to anyone in my life that I may have offended by this kind of action, and I've resolved to be very careful in the future in how I "help" people. So maybe this experience will help to make me a better person in the end.

Wishing you all a good day, and thanks so much for your replies.
 
Four weeks plus four days update...

Had my last physical therapy appt. Thursday and my flexion was 115 after 10 minutes on the stationary bike, 10 degrees more than last week. Therapist is happy and so am I. I bought one of those pedal gadgets that sits on the floor to use a couple of times a day. There's no way to adjust the resistence like on the bike, but it replicates the motion and I can definitely feel the knee stretching, so I'll use it as well as doing the exercises I've been given and going to the gym to use the "real" bike several times a week.

I'm supposed to drive to meet some family members in about two weeks, and it's a three hour trip, one way, so I'm worried about that. Today as a test I drove to the Interstate and back, about 45 minutes each way, and then stopped for groceries on the way home. It went OK, I guess, although at one point I felt a little light headed for some reason, and the back of my thigh wasn't happy with the seat angle or something, so it hurt a bit. Wednesday I'm going to try driving to the big city, about 1.5 hours away, but will have a friend with me in case things don't go well. We're going to shop once we get there, so with than incentive maybe I'll do OK.

I have a couple of questions I'd like some help with, if anyone has insight.

My therapist says I need to protect my scar from sunlight for at least a year. That's going to be a problem as I'm going to Hawaii for a week in April. How much "protection" do I need? Will heavy duty sunscreen do the trick? Or should I wrap the knee with an Ace bandage (loosely) when I'm going to be out in the sun? I don't wear shorts so the only time I'll need to keep it covered is at the beach or the pool.

Second question: About two years I whacked myself in the ankle with the pedal of an exercise machine at the gym - black and blue and hurt like you know what for weeks, but eventually stopped hurting. Right after the surgery it started hurting again - in fact at times it hurt worse than the knee. I mentioned it to the doctor and he says if it's still hurting when I see him again in 6 weeks he'll do an xray to see if anything shows up. Has anyone else had something similiar happen?

I appreciate this site and its great members so much!
 
Carolyn, I had both knees done in October 2011. Over this past summer I mowed grass on a riding mower in shorts with my knees fully exposed to the sun for over 2 hours each time I mowed, which was about twice a week for four months. I never used sunscreen--I had to spray down with insect repellant to keep from being carried off by gnats and deer flies.

My scars simply looked whiter than the rest of my skin, but they looked that way before I got out in the sun. They are still lighter than the skin around them, but I couldn't care less. Over the next couple of summers I expect that they will tan a little and be closer in color to the rest of my skin.

Now this is just my personal experience, and others may have a different reaction to a lot of sun.
 
Thanks, bottomshollow. Being a curious type and having a lot of down time on my hands (I hope I don't get addicted to just lazing around once the knee is healed!) I did some research on Google, and it looks like there is the possibility for sun exposure to really mess up scar tissue. You seem to have come through just fine but I'm going to be more cautious. Not that it really matters....at my age and being divorced after 35 years, it's not like anyone but me will be looking at my knee!
 
Good Morning, and.....Wow, I think you are doing absolutely wonderfully with that new knee! I'm just one day ahead of you, and I would love to have your numbers AND your stamina! Reading your posts make me think I'm not doing enough! I think I'd better step it up a notch!

My extension is not very good as yet, and I'm quite worried about it. I was happy to read that you hadn't done a lot of strenuous exercise, as I've followed the BS mantra and just pushed to discomfort. I was afraid I wasn't doing enough and that's why I can only get to about 80 so far. It does have me concerned, and I see my OS on Friday. I'm so afraid he's going to discuss a MUA. I love the "slow and steady" approach, and I'm hoping I'm just a bit slower than most!

I'm also impressed by the amount that you are getting out and about! Good for you! I feel like my stamina is lacking, and I'm exhausted after the least little outing. I wouldn't even consider a 2 or 3 hour car ride right now! Good for you!

So..........be proud of yourself! Keep up the good work! Each day just gets better and better!
 
Thanks for your comments, Dewey, although I'm chuckling about the stamina part. Yesterday wiped me out! I'm getting more concerned than ever about that three hour drive in 10 days or so; it's all freeway and heavy traffic, and I just don't know how I'll make it. I've already paid for my share of the vacation though, so I have to get up there somehow, even if it means shelling out even more $$ for shuttles and flights. I'm going to look at plan B.

Hang in there with your recovery, if there's one thing I've learned from reading here, everyone is different. Even though I thought I was prepared for this, I wasn't. Where I am right now, I was expecting to be two weeks ago! Talk about unrealistic expectations! Keep up with your slow and steady and you'll get there.
 
I'm outdoors a lot in the spring and summer, I do wear shorts & skorts. So, what I did to protect my scar was put on good sunscreen. My right knee is now 1 year old and the scar looks like a thin white line. I don't think it's particularly noticable.

I'm fair and burn easily, so I always used a sunscreen with a high SPF anyway.
 
I have a scar from a previous patella realignment procedure (about 3 inches) and I find that it burns easier than the rest of my skin when exposed to sun. The skin just seems extra sensitive, but responds very well to sunscreen. I do not use anything different from what I use on the rest of me (although I do reapply it there if I notice it getting pink).

You sound like you're doing well, and I hope your vacation plans work out well for you.
 
Sarah, love your profile photo. I used to be a horse person, and then became a horse show mom. Don't know if I'll ever ride again though.

I almost feel guilty posting here because I'm doing really well, and so many seem to be struggling. Keep at it....progress isn't always what we'd like it to be but as long as we're moving forward, we're moving toward recovery.

Update at 5 weeks plus two days - Yesterday I went to the Mall and walked one end to the other (it's a very small mall!), then went to the gym and went up and down two flights of stairs using both feet. It wasn't pretty, but I did it. I used some of the circuit machines for my arms, then sat in a chair recovering while my friend completed her circuit.

Yesterday evening I went back to Tai Chi class for the first time. I only did about 10 minutes of one form and then sat and criticized the rest of the class (lovingly, of course) for the remaining 45 minutes. I'm going to start doing a little Tai Chi on my own as I think it really helps with strengthening the thigh muscles.

What's interesting is that during my 10 minutes of Tai Chi, my surgical knee didn't hurt at all, but my non-surgical knee sure did....cracks and pops and bone against bone pain. So I'll be going through this again in the summer.

My biggest problems right now, other than the occasional twinge from the knee, are boredom and loneliness. My children all live out of state, and while I have many good friends here who literally saved my life during my recovery, most of them are married and/or working. Since I'm divorced and retired, I don't really have anyone who can just hang out here with me while I'm resting. I do enjoy reading and watch some television, but if I watch much more daytime tv I think my brain cells will evaporate completely.

Once I start feeling that I can go and do more, I'll look into taking some classes or doing some volunteer work, and that will help.

Thanks for listening....I'm over my pity party now. :SUNsmile:
 
HI Carolyn. I really do know how you are feeling about the empty nest syndrome. I have 6 kids and only one at home now. For all the years complaining about how I would live just one minute to myself during the day I would change that in a heartbeat to feel useful again. Yes there is only so much day time TV you can watch. Same goes for housework. Now I am getting about a little more I want to be doing SOMETHING. My husband is a self employed landscape gardner so he works long hours. I have been thinking about part time voluntary work but I still get days when my knee swells and is very painful so this has put me off. Hopefully when the summer is here I will be quite happy in the garden relaxing and reading and hopefully feel not as useless. Hope your recovery progresses as well as it has been. Take Care x
 
Pat, I'm sure we'll both feel better once we can get out and about more. I'm not much for gardening, and I live in Arizona, so with water issues gardening is a real challenge! One that I'm not up for! I do enjoy sitting on the patio and reading, so if this crazy weather ever settles down I'll be doing that more often.

I do have a concern though....my knee itself is doing quite well, but I still find that the least exertion leaves me wiped out. Today I got up, made coffee and breakfast, spent some time on the computer, unloaded the dishwasher, made the bed, took a shower and got dressed...all at a leisurely pace. Then I had to sit down and rest for 10 minutes!

I seem to have had more stamina two weeks ago than I do now, even though I don't think I'm doing much more than I was then. Is this normal, and just due to 6 weeks of inactivity and needing to recover from major surgery?
 
Hello, Carolyn!
Yes, I'm still really worn out, too. I'm guessing since there's still major healing going on, we will probably feel this for quite some time. I've begun doing a bit more outside the house now, and everytime I return home, I need a nap! I am so glad I don't have to think about returning to work....I don't know how people do that in 6 to 8 weeks!! Somedays I just have to stay on the couch! I do think the inactivity has helped to make us feel so tired. Our bodies just aren't used to being on the go like we were just 6 weeks ago. Gradually, we will get back there! I'm going to try not to rush it too much.....although, it feels so good to begin to feel a bit "normal". I know we will regret doing too much too soon, though.
Take it easy! Keep posting on how you are doing......it really helps to know what's happening to us is pretty normal!
 
Did the mantra "This is a marathon, not a sprint?" ever appear before your eyes on this forum?

I think TKR stirs things up not only physically but emotionally and physically. My recovery was the closest to hell I'd ever been. Plus other ailments seem to need to make themselves heard (your ankle). But in a few months it will settle down and you'll find yourself perched differently but happily in life.
 
I've had my knee on holiday in the sun 3 times since op and GP said just to use regular sun lotion. Any blink of sun we have in the uk and I'm out there. I just love the sunshine! one week till next trip to Canaries :dancy: :happydance:
 
Thanks, Nancy, appreciate all the feedback on the scar and sun issue.

Yes, Mary, I certainly have seen the "marathon, not sprint" phrase used many times! I was just puzzled why I seemed to have more energy two weeks ago than I have for the last several days. But I think I figured it out. I've always had problems with insomnia and take Tylenol PM 2-3 times a week which helps me get to sleep and stay asleep. It occurred to me that I'd taken it for a couple of nights in a row, and though I slept well, the next day was when I had the low energy problem. So I didn't take it last night, and the energy level is better!

Of course I've been awake since 2 a.m.......
 
I am also new to this site. I am enjoying reading all the posts. I certainly identify with many of you. I had right TKR on Feb 5 th and am measuring 3-85. I don't know what is normal for this amt. of time. Thanks to all for posting everybody's experience are sure to help a lot of people.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom