Guest viewing is limited

TKR 09-11 Cheerbubble Thread

Yes, worsen vision, remains a mystery. Can’t explain it, but I also had a real decrease in visual acuity.
 
Good luck! I returned to work (half days) two weeks after surgery, full time, week 3. It wasn't perfect, and 5 weeks later, it's still not perfect. But I work at home and have a good deal of flexibility in terms of hours. Have learned a lot about PT from this board...

PT is funny...if you sprained your knee, they'd probably tell you to just sit, ice, elevate for x#weeks. But, when they open your knee, pull all of the muscles/tendons/ligaments aside, then saw the ends off your leg bones and hammer on something else and put it all back together... they want exercise right away. I can't quite follow how that works.
 
I had my 5-week checkup today, lol I was counting from surgery date so I *thought* I was at week 6! he looked at me like I was special. Anyway, done with formal PT after tomorrow's final session, now just continuing with at-home stretching and I can do water therapy if I want. Surgeon says I still have 2 degrees of contracture on extension but PT said I was at 0 to -3 degrees. I can only get to 95 degrees bending, but the surgeon said: "keep working at it, it'll come along just fine." He wants me to aim for 120 degrees but he admitted he'd be happy at 110. I have another appointment in a month. He's very happy with my wound, my walking is "almost normal," my leg strength is "phenomenal," (yay!!) and happy with everything pretty much! I asked if we could do my right knee sooner than what it scheduled 12/04, and he didn't answer me, just looked at me. So I suppose that's a 'no.' But I've asked to be put on the cancellation list! I'm having a great recovery, I think attitude is some of it (true cheerbubble, here), but mostly, I was just in so darn much pain all the time beforehand that any improvement feels miraculous! I hope this doesn't sound braggy because it's not, I'm celebratory! if I could do a cartwheel, I would!
 
RE: the vision issue, I **completely** forgot to bring it up. I had to ask him to draft a letter because I got sneak-subpoenaed on Monday asked to testify next Monday - no way! It's in another city and just being driven that far would put me in so much pain I'd have to take dilaudid and tramadol. Can you imagine being on the stand to testify as an "expert witness' stoned to the gills on a narcotic and an opioid?!? NOT a good image in my mind! :heehee:
 
My vision up close has changed too. It’s the meds. All opioids effect my vision. And I’ve been on a lot over the yrs. OS said he hears it a lot and often corrects after it’s out of ur blood a few mnths. I’ll take blurry vision over pain any day.
Glad to hear all going well for you!
 
@traceys every time I hear of another person having vision changes, I feel validated and not crazy! lol it's very strange. And YES, even if it doesn't go away, it's better than the pain Any. Day.
 
I had orthotics before the LTKR, super flat-footed. Would one use the old pre-surgery orthotics, or wait to see if you need new ones after? It makes sense to me that the 'old' ones wouldn't be right for a new knee...but I want wisdom and experience from other people in case I'm dreadfully wrong. Thanks!!:chinstroke:
 
@Shanari
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Sorry, I thought it was a general question about orthotics, not just me. Apologies.
 
I think it would depend on the orthotic and why you wear it.

I wear orthotics, but for the foot of the non operated leg, due to some painful nerve damage in that foot. So, mine are still the same.

I buy shoes/sandals with the orthotic built right in. I have new sandals since surgery, but with the same metatarsal footbed as before. My feet are still comfortable with the same orthotic.
 
Shanari, don't push yourself. Remember, when you have that second knee done, the "good" knee will still be a postoperative knee no matter how good it feels, and you will be stressing it as you depend on it more after the other knee is operated on. So it will have to be recovered not only for itself, but also enough to over-function for the other side when the time comes. I am the poster child for not trying to meet goals too fast. I suffered a rupture of the patella and extensor tendon while I was actually in a PT session doing a sit to stand exercise 3 weeks after my right TKR. I thought I was doing the right thing but I have now been set back at least six months and I may have forfeited any gains I might have had from the TKR.
 
I should clarify, I don't feel like I'm pushing myself, I feel really, deeply, GOOD. I'm working half-days now, but I control my schedule, and I'm taking one whole day off in the regular work week, plus weekends. My PT has never done that horrible "sit to stand" thing that wrecked @Motherbone's knee and I'm so glad - they've been persistent but really watch and we talk every single PT session about the difference between stretch and pain, what pushing oneself is vs. going too hard/too far/too fast. I totally get it that my surgical leg is going to have to do extra work when the 2nd knee is done, which, I'm guessing, is probably why when I asked to speed up the process the surgeon just looked at me :thud: I don't want anyone to worry, but I deeply feel your kindness and concern. And I appreciate it!!!
 
PS - I made a really good, many-layered lasagna last night for supper - standing to cook was lovely! It's my right (not yet surgical) knee that makes me sore. My lovely new left knee stood tall and solid and strong. <3 It was wonderful, and a vision of what is yet to come when that 2nd knee gets done. Before surgery, I couldn't stand for more than about 5 minutes, then had to sit and rest, and it's So. Darned. Nice. not to have to do that so much (right knee demanded one rest while making the lasagna).
 
It was SO good! I made a giant pan and I wrapped up 6 more servings for later!
 
I would wait until you're at least couple of months into recovery before you re-evaluate the orthotics. I waited to settle in to my new gait a bit before I went in for mine.
 
Agree about re-evaluating the orthotics. Your new knees change a lot of things about your gait and how your foot moves/rolls. I always tell people they’ll need new shoes — not because new shoes are inherently awesome, though that’s true, but because the wear patterns on their old shoes no longer suit their new way of walking. Older shoes can even cause some issues for new TKRs by throwing off their new gaits. So you may need new shoes and/or new orthotics.

It sounds like you’re having a lovely recovery. Mine was a lot like yours, though I had both knees done at once. Still, I was so grateful for the new knees, and so happy they worked well. The pre-surgical pain was so horrible and my disability so pronounced, that even with two new knees I felt liberated and wonderful. Yes, it was painful that first few weeks, but... pain? That was normal for me. What was wonderful was the LESS pain, and actually walking normally. So yes, cheerbubble! Bubble on! You are doing great. And you will LOVE having two good knees!
 
@Shanari congratulations on your amazing recovery journey. I absolutely love your surgeon’s approach to PT and recovery. During Lefty (first replacement) I went back to work from home against all advice. What I have come to realize is that it just added a layer of stress that I simply didn’t need duringhis process. I am now 13 days into Righty and am not going back to work until week 8. I think I will be better off with my focus on getting better. I would evaluate the orthotics for sure. Lefty was almost a full 2 inches longer than Righty pre surgery. My surgeon suggested that I toss out my orthotics, get through the second replacement, plan on spending some quality time with a chiropractor and evaluate the orthotic from there. Good luck on your journey.
 
Thank you so much!! that makes sense to me about the orthotics...I realize I haven't worn proper 'shoes' for 6 weeks since surgery, I've been wearing no-support moccasins and bedroom slippers. Need to see what is really there post surgery on 'righty' when that finally rolls around. @SusieShoes -- YES!!! my pain was crazy and disability was worse than I ever admitted to myself. This process is AMAZING and even with just one new knee, walking is so much a pleasure, so much easier. I can't wait for #2!!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom