TKR 09-11 Cheerbubble Thread

Well, I had my first official PT on Tuesday and it was GOOD. I really like the machine that super slowly moves your leg out straight, then slowly back in. It's not a CPM, has a different name, but is basically the same idea - Bio-Ex? something along those lines. Getting back in the Jeep after PT was SO much easier, and I had a little bit more bend so I could get that leg in without pain. Looking forward to PT today. We go 2x week, it's gentle stretching, no weight work, and the goal is always, ALWAYS = NO SWELLING = if that happens then we have to back off.

I did rat out the guy who made me do too much at the hospital the day after surgery and he has some consequences from my OS. I feel like a 5th grader tattling, but then also like a strong woman advocating for myself, both at the same time :heehee:. So while I love my PT, Stacy, it's very controlled and helpful. I now feel confident that my right leg recovery is going to be about the same or maybe even better than the left leg, once we got over the hump on that injury in the hospital. Hooray!!!
 
Last edited:
We go 2x week, it's gentle stretching, no weight work, and the goal is always, ALWAYS = NO SWELLING = if that happens then we have to back off.
PERFECT! It's encouraging to know that there are some wonderful PTs out there. So glad you snagged one! :dancing:
 
Here's the funny thing, she is literally my across-the-street neighbor. Her house is a split level, so hr living room looks down and into my living room! she teases me (not seriously) that she counts along with me as I do my exercises at home. I feel that I may be receiving extra special care from Stacy because we are neighbors, and also she is a DPT, doctor of physical therapy (?) so she has a bit more education. Whatever -- I'm grateful for it and for not having to dread PT. I end up tired, but feeling better, looser, a bit pampered. It's not a spa experience but it is nice. :)
 
It makes such a difference to have a good pt experience - hope it continues for you.
Take care.
 
I did rat out the guy who made me do too much at the hospital the day after surgery
You did the right thing. You don't want him doing that to anybody else. If he isn't called down, he'll do it to everybody.
 
Well, recovery physically has been going quite well. My right knee is almost two weeks ahead of the progress my left one made, according to PT, measurements, and function, which is fine. It's lovely. But I got hit with the whammy of depression and so that part has really stunk. I'm an independent mental health professional so I know what to do and have been doing it, but you know? it still is awful. One of the risks of having two surgeries relatively close together. I'm so happy with two new knees, it will be worth it. Just struggling with the black mood, but I'm talking with everyone I need to and doing what I'm supposed to. Anyone else struggling with depression, hang in there!
 
The depression is the worst. I’m sinking into it closer we get to Christmas.
Hang in there! :console2:

That is great news about your knees tho. Well done
 
Maybe it’s a bit to do with unrealistic expectations. Going by my previous knee recovery I was thinking that by Christmas things wou be different, so I ‘d thought I would be able to do Xmas shopping ,decorate etc. But not turned out that way. At 11 weeks still too painful/stiff and my energy levels are quite low. Sitting looking at presents that I Hope are going to wrap themselves! Keep having a strong word with myself !

@Shanari good to know your knees are doing well at this early stage especially having two done close together.
That’s so funny having your PT live over the road. No pressure there then!:heehee:
 
Yes, she can see directly into my living room, I can see the front of her home and when her kids are outside playing!
My Christmas this year was almost entirely online, because I knew I wouldn't have the stamina to do much, so I believe I have personally kept Amazon, Kohl's and Sam's Club in business, plus HyVee (grocery store that delivers), however, like you, nothing is wrapped! that's my plan for the weekend. And it's a nontraditional Christmas meal this year, which is fine. Surely some people eat a pasta for Christmas, somewhere? ;)
 
It is exactly 3 weeks right now from my right TKA, I was wheeled into the operating room around 8:45 and out by 10! I just drove for the first time, unfortunately taking my Jeep in to the shop to get fixed, but it was a drive. It counts!!! yay!!
 
Hey well done ! That is quite an achievement.
I’m still finding driving hard after11 weeks . Not an automatic so stress on the left leg. If I’d only known when I bought my car 5 years ago ....
 
Oh ouch! that would make all the difference! mine's automatic, otherwise I'm certain I could not make it.
 
I just drove for the first time, unfortunately taking my Jeep in to the shop to get fixed, but it was a drive.
Driving at 3 weeks is outstanding! It was 7 weeks before I drove. Thank God I had wonderful neighbors that picked up stuff for me and I didn't take PT, so no one had to take me there!
 
Here's a weird but happy thing, I just got done grocery shopping and I was able to stand tall and upright, pushing the cart around the store. Usually, I was leaning over the handle very quickly because knees were so sore, and even in the time when I had one done and the other not, I leaned quickly. Yay for standing tall!!
 
:happydance:

So happy for you!!! Kudos to ADL for showing us what we can do
 
That shopping cart makes for a good pretend walker! I would go early in the morning and walk around the store before it got crowded. It's a great rehab activity!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom