Recent content by yorkhannah

  1. yorkhannah

    Newbie with another question

    Information overload Sorry if all the information is making the decision overwhelming. I can completely sympathise with the issue of working freelance. I was only able to do the op at this time as we had recently moved house and got a little left over that I could use but it has basically blown...
  2. yorkhannah

    TKR 3 weeks out and going stir crazy! !!!!!!

    Hi! On the subject of going stir crazy and feeling isolated, one thing I've found helps loads is Whats App (a free app you can get on smartphones). I (kind of jokingly) asked my friends to share photos and videos of their days using it (as you can send messages, photos, videos etc for free...
  3. yorkhannah

    GCT, bone graft, 30yo TKR advice welcome

    I love that you forget about your 'new good knee' (as we like to call it) nowadays. It never stops being a relief to hear people say that. I've been up and down the stairs six times and out for a visit to my GP today and it feels like I've gone back two weeks in how stiff and sore my leg is, so...
  4. yorkhannah

    GCT, bone graft, 30yo TKR advice welcome

    @Jozilla sorry, forgot to say re: the custom knee, it's specific to me, sort of, it's part of a range that Stanmore offer, so they all look the same but the lengths differ based on what the patient needs doing. I think it's a bit like the one shown here but not so long: broken link removed...
  5. yorkhannah

    GCT, bone graft, 30yo TKR advice welcome

    Hi All, @Jozilla @Lovestoread @kneeper thank you for your replies, I really appreciated them. Apologies for the delay, this last week's been a slow one brain-wise, I've tried to reply a couple of times from my phone but it was trickier than expected and if it takes longer than a minute to work...
  6. yorkhannah

    Newbie with another question

    Hi! I'm 5ft 11" and 28 days post surgery. I had a commode raiser over the loo for the first three weeks although I was able to bend to a normal seat level within the first week, the commode sides gave me the stability to lower and lift myself and I still rely on the sink and window ledge for...
  7. yorkhannah

    What has helped you most in your recovery from knee surgery...

    +1 to most of these, I drew so many ideas from Bonesmart and so much strength in the week after when I was in hospital feeling like I had no idea what was happening (or just feeling like I couldn't wee or sleep). The most important thing in the run up for me was stretching and straight leg...
  8. yorkhannah

    GCT, bone graft, 30yo TKR advice welcome

    @Jozilla @Lovestoread thanks! I'm so grateful for the stretches I did pre-op, I'm still struggling with lots of day to day things my muscles are having to re-learn but it seems the flexibility is still there and that was such a boost. Are you pre or post op? What have you had done? The...
  9. yorkhannah

    GCT, bone graft, 30yo TKR advice welcome

    Hi All, I think I meant to post here with recovery tales too? So, it's been a busy few months. I had my surgery on 23rd July. It went really well although I sobbed my way (quietly) to theatre. The team were absolutely brilliant. They managed to give me the spinal anaesthetic without me even...
  10. yorkhannah

    2014 July Sparklers - Are you having knee surgery in July?

    @marmora thank you! So far so good, everyone at Royal Ortheopeadic Birmingham has been fabulous. The operation couldn't have gone better, every concern I had has been unnecessary. I'm very achey but it's really no worse than it was before the op. The main problem I've had - for those awaiting...
  11. yorkhannah

    2014 July Sparklers - Are you having knee surgery in July?

    Fingers crossed in in on the same day as @Racey60 for my first custom RTKR. Currently in a constant flux between being terrified and so excited I could be sick - bit like waiting in the queue for a roller coaster and hopefully, as with them, on the other side I'll be shakey on my feet but...
  12. yorkhannah

    GCT, bone graft, 30yo TKR advice welcome

    @Roy Gardiner @Josephine thanks for these! Very glad to hear the Drs have got solutions to the soft tissue etc, I knew they must have but it's amazing how much I can worry about nonsense, I guess post-op I'll just be able to go for a walk, whoop! Hubs and I really appreciated the reading list...
  13. yorkhannah

    GCT, bone graft, 30yo TKR advice welcome

    Hi All, Think I'm meant to post updates on the same thread rather than start a new one. I hope all of those preparing and going for their ops in May are doing well and keeping their nerves at bay, my Dad's been on 'find good news stories about knee replacements' duty for the last month and I'm...
  14. yorkhannah

    Have I forgotten anything?

    Nothing to add except 'Good luck!' and thanks for sharing your preparation experiences. Hope the op goes well, H x
  15. yorkhannah

    GCT, bone graft, 30yo TKR advice welcome

    Thanks @kneeper! Great to a find place like this before the big decisions are made, so many useful discussions and questions to think about.
Back
Top Bottom