TKR 3 weeks out and going stir crazy! !!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would call the agency and tell them what happened. If they send her back, tell her up front, "This is what I will do---this is what I will tolerate and find acceptable. If you understand these guidelines and can accept them, we can have a great working relationship. If not, you can leave now. It is my body and my recovery. Do you want to take part in it, or not?
 
The thing is you weren't "non-compliant" you just were expressing what you could and could not do that day. To me non-compliant would be refusing to do anything and lying there like a lump.
 
I think you have a right to say no if you want to. I also agree with others who said who cares what she writes - probably no one will even read it. It's just one day, the others you are doing the PT......sometimes we all need a day off. A few weeks ago I took a self-prescribed week off from outpatient PT, and it was the best thing I did. My range of motion jumped from 90 to around 110, the pain was more mangable, and my mood improved alot! I was afraid my OS would be upset, but when I told him I took week off and how much it helped, he told me that maybe I should just discontinue PT......which I did! And frankly, I'm doing just fine, or even better, not having the PT. You know your body best. Go with your gut!
 
I have PT again tomorrow, we will see who comes. I am so glad I didn't let her bully me.

I have my follow up with my OS next Wednesday. ..will be interesting to see what he has to say. My ROM is right at 118. I have had very little swelling and from what I read, I should be thankful. I was able to lower the # of pain pills today and pain has not been more than a 2 all day. Feeling much better. ..wasn't sure this feeling would ever come.

Thanks for all the encouragement! !!!
 
Therapy was much better. ROM at target of 120 for home therapy. Graduated to a cane and just an overall good day. Therapist was really kind today.

Hoping this means the worst is behind me. Again, thanks to everyone here. This forum is awesome.
 
Hi!

On the subject of going stir crazy and feeling isolated, one thing I've found helps loads is Whats App (a free app you can get on smartphones). I (kind of jokingly) asked my friends to share photos and videos of their days using it (as you can send messages, photos, videos etc for free worldwide - the catch being it's owned by Facebook and is probably helping them to own you and your dog's life eventually...) Anyway, my friends have really gone for it. A group of them went on holiday and sent me photos of their day trips (like real-time postcards), my husband has gone away for the weekend camping with his friends for a bit of respite and he just sent me a video of the band playing in the pub they're in, other friends have sent me photos of their kid's birthday party, their baby waving, their lunch... Just normal stuff that keeps me more in the loop than I probably would have been if I wasn't stuck in bed, I've loved it and what's more, I love my friends for how much they haven't even questioned the request and have just gone for it, I owe them a video of my raising a glass of wine to them when I finally reach that stage, for sure!
:friends::cheers:

Anyway, that helped me - along with Bonesmart!

Hope you're doing better this week.

H xx
 
My husband is a shrink. When I had shingles, he told me, "Play the radio, read a book, and watch TV all at the same time." In other words, do what ever you can to keep your mind busy.

I don't watch TV during the day, I mostly listen to the radio. It's nice to hear voices about. I also watch foreign TV shows on Netflix and have really enjoyed them. If you have to pay close attention to subtitles, to follow the story line, you can't pay attention to much else.

Good luck!
 
You have to stand your ground ! Against a hostile and rough therapist. Be on alert and set your boundries early on , especially when you start out patient therapy. im a couch potato so staying home , watching dvr movies was heaven sent. With proper elevation and ice , my pain levels were minimal. Continue pain meds as you start to get more active. Best of luck, Iceman
 
Happy for you that your recovery is going so well thus far. I knew I had been home far too long when I felt bummed that 19 Kids & Counting wasn't on one afternoon! (I never watched that show before) Thankfully, I have not resorted to Honey Boo Boo! I am watching a lot of TV, play crib online and read a fair bit. I also have all my friends where we now live through work but I do try to chat with my long distance kids and friends regularly. I would love it if I could sit to sew or do a puzzle maybe ~ anything! :)
 
I also found my concentration levels were so short, I couldnt read many pages at a time of a book, tv has never done much for me, and you cant play ipad games for ever!
Yep stir crazy just like everyone else.
I even got excited when the postman came!
You are limited if you are resting, icing and elevating.

I did however take a long look around the house and organised tradesmen while I was home, and got all the jobs done that I was putting off. Was able to 'supervise' and occupy myself at the same time.
My wife appreciated that these jobs were actually done!

It is gunna happen, the cabin fever thing, you have to find your way to deal with it.
There is always the internet!



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I also found my concentration levels were so short, I couldnt read many pages at a time of a book, tv has never done much for me, and you cant play ipad games for ever!
Due to the pain meds that I was on (Oxycontin), I had trouble concentrating---my substitute teacher would bring essays for me to grade, and I found that I could read maybe three or four before "Fuzzing out."

Therapy was much better. ROM at target of 120 for home therapy. Graduated to a cane and just an overall good day. Therapist was really kind today.
That is great news! I hope that the PT person keeps up the kindness!
 
Been a little while since I posted. I got released at four weeks from all therapy. Went back to work last Monday after 6 weeks. But I am still having a lot of stiffness after sitting and just can't get comfortable at night.

How long does the stiffness last and when does sleeping get better?
 
The bad news is that the message is "Get used to it, as it will be around for a while yet."
The sleeplessness is something I am having trouble with, everything else I can cope with.

But, having a tkr has made me into a more patient person, and probably less self centred.

I am coping by finding joy in the small improvements and just letting the time go by.
I also went back to work at six weeks, which in hindsight was a few weeks too early. But it was my choice. I am at ten weeks this week, and having short periods where the knee is 'normal'. You gotta learn to love those moments as long as they last.

You will be ok. Just part of the process.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@mjkpek. Hey, that PT works for you. I went through the same thing. My PT was very aggressive, causing me a lot of pain. I tried to get across to him that it hurt too much, that I didn't want to do certain things, and that I didn't want PT sessions that lasted neatly two hrs. He would just smile his all-knowing superior being smile and continue. So, I fired him! You can do that, too. I found a new PT who has not hurt me once. Under her kind guidance I have done very well and my ROM at 6, almost 7, weeks is well over 120. What other people have told you is true - your doctor might not ever read any reports he receives from your PT. I told my OS how I was doing in PT and that I had changed to a PT more to my liking. No problem. I learned here on Bonesmart that overly aggressive PT can cause further swelling which will limit ROM. You're thinking of asking for a different PT, you say. I suggest that you make some phone calls and see if you can find someone you like, then call you OS and tell them who you've chosen and ask them to send whatever paperwork is needed. I did that and found that my OS's office had no problem with it. My knee, my therapy, my insurance, my choice!
 
I would ask for a new pt---that will invalidate her nasty remarks!! I started outpatient pt at 2 weeks, so had the feeling of getting out of the house. I think walks are a good idea too.

My friends would pick me up and we would go out to lunch. Have your friends from work come over for lunch--have pizza and salad delivered!

I also went to a knitting class---one hour and spent lots of hours knitting! Go to one place---an ice cream store and then go right home. I was driving by three weeks---are you driving? If so, even just go for a drive to a nice park, walk around for a few minutes, go home and sleep!!
 
ent back to work last Monday after 6 weeks. But I am still having a lot of stiffness after sitting and just can't get comfortable at night.

you did go back to work a little on the early side---I went back to the classroom at eight weeks, and that was too early.

I can tell you that going back to work when you did, like I did, will allow the knee to become stiff and sore either early in the morning or , as mine did, after a long day in the classroom.

The inability to get comfortable is also normal---I could not sleep due to the very same feeling---I was not in pain, but I could not get comfortable.

The good news is that this will dissipate---and you should ice and elevate as needed---there is still plenty of time to do that.
 
Try one of those pillows that go between your knees. You can get one at bed bath and beyond. Really keeps your legs in a good position, costs around $20.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@mjkpek ..... That stiffness is a form of pain and you should be taking something for it, even if it's just over the counter Tylenol. Tim is correct that you probably went back to work a bit on the quick side. It isn't that you're going to hurt your implant, but that early return can just about guarantee additional pain and a bit slower recovery overall. It will help if you can keep any other activity at a minimum (no therapy, no errands, no housework) and rest/ice as soon as you get home each day. Things will get better.

If you would, please create a signature that includes your surgery date. To do this, mouse hover over your username at the top right of the screen. Choose Create a Signature from the drop down menu. Having that date handy in each of your posts helps us give better advice.
 
One thing that people do not realize is that it is not all about going to work---it also deals with the logistics of getting up, getting prepared, and going to work---then reversing it at the end of the day. Fixing breakfast, maybe a lunch, and then driving, taking public transportation or carpooling---and then getting to the work station---all add up to one unhappy knee. (And you do it in reverse when yo come home at the end of the work day!)

I would suggest that on weekends, you take at least one day off and do nothing---just ice, elevate, and rest.

To be honest, while you may need or have to go back to work, your surgical knee is not ready for it yet.
 
Thanks so much. I tend to be an over achiever and this time I fear it has bit me in the butt. I have to accept that I can't make this get better before it's time. My Dr wants me to schedule the left knee, but I just ain't ready for this again yet.

I am just gonna start taking it a little slower and listen to my leg. Again. Thanks everyone.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom