Recent content by TwoBad

  1. TwoBad

    TKR Was it good for you too?

    Okay, I haven't been on this site in a LONG time. I (like most) had to make that decision to jump in with both feet (well, knees) on TKR. I had both done during the summer of 2010. So, I just turned 66, and the new knees turned 12. I average the old parts and new parts and figure I'm really...
  2. TwoBad

    TKR Cyclist - Managing My Recovery

    Hi Pat, Glad to hear you on the road to recovery. Keep you eye on the road to riding, but you be the judge of the pace. I found the knees recovery is a little like the cycling...ride at your own pace. Good luck, and I know you will be back in the saddle soon.
  3. TwoBad

    TKR More than a little bummed out

    Thanks Josephine. No, there were on injuries to the knees. Both still working fine. Just working through all the PT for the hip now. I'm doing this myself, as after a few session with the TP crew in the hospital, I found all the exercises were the same as the knee replacement ones. Sad to...
  4. TwoBad

    TKR What Did I Get Myself Into?

    As Kelly noted above, we're all different and will recover at different rates. I don't consider myself exceptional, but on both knee replacements, was able to walk unassisted from the hospital door to the car. I used a walker at night, just to keep peace with my wife, but didn't feel I needed...
  5. TwoBad

    TKR 10 weeks post op

    JW, First of all, you can and will get excellent advice from all the folks here. We're all different. I understand you concern with "am I normal" on recover. I asked that too. I think its a individual thing. Main point is that overall, you continue to improve. Don't be concerned about...
  6. TwoBad

    TKR More than a little bummed out

    Hi all. I'm not sure which forum to post this, but thought I'd put it back with my old friends on the Knee replacement site. Well, I did post a few months back there, just letting everyone know I was alive, well, and active. Those activities include lots of cycling. Road and mountain. I'm...
  7. TwoBad

    TKR Mechanical feeling?

    I really think those with one replacement and one original have more of this comparison issue. Since both mine were done so close together (5 weeks), I've fully adjusted to the "new normal". I think, in time, you will too. I can't really remember what the original equipment felt like now, and...
  8. TwoBad

    Catching up on the Forum

    I've just logged into the forum after being gone for a long time. I guess that's a sign of how things are going. Which is really well. Its been just over 2 years since my "summer of the knees". Two TKRs within 6 weeks. This forum was very helpful in the months leading up to that summer, and...
  9. TwoBad

    Knee Replacements Not Harmed by Most Sports

    Do what you want, but use some common sense. Stick to the fun but lower impact activities. You'll be happier in the end. With any luck, both you and your knees will exit this life at the same time...that's my plan.
  10. TwoBad

    Will new knees be good enough?

    Gene - It's a hard decision. Only you can make up your mind when "the time" is. I'm a cyclist too, and was riding my bike up to replacement time. It was one of the few things I could do without pain. Left knee was June and the right done in July. Five weeks apart. Recovery has its stages...
  11. TwoBad

    So How's My Recovery Doing??

    I guess we all heal differently. I'm pretty pleased with my progress, but then, I've heard of people doing better faster. This isn't a race, you do it on your schedule. Just before TKR's I was cycling ~60 miles a week. About 45 on Saturday at 18 mph pace. Yesterday, I did 16 miles at about...
  12. TwoBad

    Do US TKR patients recover faster?

    Okay, don't take this the wrong way, but in reading many of the postings here, I notice that the UK patients seem to take longer to recover than the American ones. No slam here, as I'm British myself, but lived mostly in the US! I know I was very lucky to have a doctor skilled in the...
  13. TwoBad

    8 weeks post op and still not sleeping

    If you are sleeping with support under your knee, that's not good. They really got after us in the hospital for having anything under the knee. I guess it works, because I'm 7 weeks on knee #2 tomorrow, and have always let it have full extension for sleeping. I think that helped keep me a...
  14. TwoBad

    When Is It "Time" for Knee Surgery??

    Re: Question for the "Younger" TKR Patients Well, I can understand you concern. Age was a major question for me. I was told at 40 that my left knee was too far gone, and needed a TKR then. Luckily, I got it scoped and it lasted 14 more years. During that time, my right one want down the...
  15. TwoBad

    Not ready to bike outside

    Susie - That's too funny! Yes, please don't put fall in the same sentence with cycling. Another thought on the bike. I don't know if you use clipless pedals (those are the type cycling-guys use to "lock" their shoes into the pedals), but if so, be extra careful when you first ride. The...
Back
Top Bottom