Hi @mermaid44 - I had a spinal fusion about a year and a half before my first TKR. After my knee replacement, I tried to elevate for about 5 minutes and it was, for me also, extremely painful. So I just stopped trying to elevate my leg. I spent most of my recovery time stretched out on the...
Hi @trailspud - how did you like the Altras and how do the Hokas compare? I still love my Newtons but was thinking about trying the Altras. I like that most of them have a 0mm drop. Haven't heard much about the Hokas but they look like they'd add at least an inch of height. At a hair over 5'...
I've been using Mizuno volleyball knee pads for a while now. I use them for my barre class which is a combination of ballet, yoga and pilates and there are always portions of class where we are either kneeling or down on all fours. The Mizuno's are pretty lightweight, very comfortable and they...
I'm in Ohio and I have never had a problem getting pain medication. I have degenerative disc disease in my neck and back and my doctor has never refused a request for Percocet. Honestly, I don't think it's the US or a particular state - it's each individual doctor.
I struggle with this a lot. My OS believes in antibiotics for life (just for dental cleanings and colonoscopies). My dentist believes in them but just for several years. My PCP doesn't believe that it's necessary at all. Personally, even if the odds of getting an infection are 1,000,000 to 1, if...
@DUTCH - I have to tell you a story. I love my OS. He's a typical gruff, aloof surgeon but once you get to know him, he's really a pretty cool guy. I would never question anything he says medically and he's certainly not an alarmist but regarding insurance practices and policies...well, not so...
Hi John (@smarttoys) - I never realized that there was a name for that! I always used to tie toys to my lunge whip and let my dog chase it. She'd get a little too excited but she loved it. Eventually I figured out that she was just as happy to chase the whip with nothing tied on to it - more...
I pop up on other's threads occasionally but obviously, it's been a very long time since I checked in here - on my own thread. I was thinking about it earlier this week because I just saw my OS for the one year check-up on both knees. It was actually 2 years for my left knee but since I had my...
I think everyones reactions to pain meds are so individual - you can't generalize. I've been in a pain management program for 8 years (degenerative disc disease in my neck and back). I've used Percocet during those 8 years - not continuously but when necessary (weeks, a few months at a time...
Hi @SDkate - I went to a sporting goods store and bought a pair of volleyball knee pads. I mainly use them at barre class and they're great! Kneeling feels completely normal. BUT- I know a lot of doctors prefer that their patients avoid kneeling, I guess because of the pressure that it puts on...
Hi @joey5898 - I'm obviously not a doctor, but I am a patient in a pain management program for neck and back issues. I've had access to narcotic pain medication for the past 8 years. When I've gone through a rough patch, I've taken medication on a daily basis for up to 3-4 months at a time...
@cpd599 - I'm a total "eastie". Live in the Heights area, work in Pepper Pike and if my trainer's barn was much further east she'd be in Western PA. I think my last trip to the West side was when I did the Cleveland half several years ago. Even if I can't run it, I'd love to do that one again...
Hi @cpd599 - I should be trying to sleep since I have to be up in 3 hours to make a 6am barre class. Guess I'll be leaving the studio and heading to work about the same time you're finishing up at work, but I had an important question for you - are you an east sider or west?
@tigwy11 - I had an L4-5 fusion 3 years ago. I was on some level of pain meds for about 6-8 weeks; maybe a little longer. Like a TKR, I'm sure it varies from person to person. But if your mom's surgery was just 2 weeks ago, she probably needs her pain meds. Remember, it's still major surgery -...
@Dearjr - L'Shana Tova. I've had both of my knees done - the left about a year and a half ago and the right seven months ago. I think my mother did me a great service many years ago when she told me that it takes a year to recover from surgery. You know, those were the days when pretty much...
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.