Recent content by Rusty dmw

  1. Rusty dmw

    How do/will I know when it is time to opt for surgery?

    Hi Lex, I know this is a tough decision and everyone has to decide for themselves when enough is enough. Like most, I waited and in retrospect I waited too long. I had a couple of friends who went through the procedure ahead of me. I am coming up on one year since my THR and have no regrets...
  2. Rusty dmw

    I'm overwhelmed!

    I will add one more vote to having it done. Everyone's experience is different but it seems most find their recovery begins within days of the surgery and improves each day. Young children add a special challenge but you will enjoy the additional mobility (and lack of pain). Sounds like you...
  3. Rusty dmw

    Class of 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 Hippies

    I have neglected to check in for several months and I guess that means life has returned to normal. Cannot help but brag that one year after my THR I went skiing (with the blessing of my Orthopedic Surgeon). It would be misleading to say it felt like I was 20 years old again, but I was able to...
  4. Rusty dmw

    Pain is becoming almost unbearable

    Welcome Bionicwoman and let me offer my words of encouragement too. I had a total hip replacement a year ago this month and have not looked back. Reading some of the threads on this forum it is clear that everyone's experience is a little different but the vast majority, and I count myself in...
  5. Rusty dmw

    looks like i made it

    Bob: I have also been off the site for awhile but your note reminded me of the wonderful support people offered. Hearing about your summer was exhausting and inspiring. Hope things continue to improve and I appreciate the reminder that six months is not the full recovery period.
  6. Rusty dmw

    New here!

    Hi Bondgirl, I knew I was headed toward a replacement of my left hip for a couple of years but kept denying that things had progressed as bad as they had. I kept excercising about 4 to 5 days a week but finally admitted I was in too much pain. To my pleasant surprise the recovery and return to...
  7. Rusty dmw

    THR Post Op day 5!

    Tdubb I will add my welcome to the other side. I was fortunate to have a relatively quick initial recovery too and started back to work alternate days at the end of the second week. Half days the third week. It was feeling discomfort but no terrible pain (that could not be controlled by...
  8. Rusty dmw

    THR 18 days post op emotions

    Hi Sue, It sounds like you are progressing very well with your recovery. The timing of the transition from walker to crutches to cane, then walking unaided seems to be a very different experience for everyone. It to happen relatively quickly for me but the aching at the end of the day and...
  9. Rusty dmw

    THR Z's Postop thread

    Z I have not checked in for quite awhile and was pretty proud that I was running up stairs in the house. Then I saw you ran 10 miles! We can't keep up so slow down. Seriously that's fantastic. Look forward to seeing you in next Aprils Boston Marathon!
  10. Rusty dmw

    Shocked & Surprised!

    Hi Kathy I see your surgery date will be this week. Your almost through the awful waiting time. We will be sending positive thoughts your way! Keep us posted. Don
  11. Rusty dmw

    Need Advice

    Welcome Vikmike, I know you will find this site a wonderful source of information and support. Make sure you ask any and all questions as there are a lot of people happy to help. Many stories but I know you will see the overall pattern is the dramatic improvement in quality of life. I will be...
  12. Rusty dmw

    Planning for work question

    Hi Janey, I hope your discussion(s) with you supervisor have gone well. I completely understand the desire to make a good impression at a new job and applaud your foresight. Anything you can do to help frame the expectations i am sure will be appreciated. You did not mention if you were having...
  13. Rusty dmw

    What Is The Top Recommended THR for Serious Running???

    Sounds like exactly the kind of workout I want and need to keep heart healthy without excessive routine risk. I figure I will leave that for the skiing. Won't know for sure how that will work out until next season but am optimistic. Regarding knee pain, I did have some in my other leg the...
  14. Rusty dmw

    Choosing anesthesia type/your experience

    Hi Polar Ice, Let me add one more vote for the spinal and sedation. I went as far as asking several surgeons who they liked working with and who they would want. The anesthesiologist I requested was wonderful an reassuring. Last memory was conversing with him then nothing until I woke up from...
  15. Rusty dmw

    New hippie lady

    Hi Oakview and welcome, You sound very normal. I don't think it matters what your condition and how well the medical team have prepared you, pre operation anxiety is the natural order. I discovered this site just prior to my hip replacement and it was great timing. There is so much information...
Back
Top Bottom