THR 18 days post op emotions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Walker/Crutches/Cane Transition

I was on the walker until day 3 in the hospital then been on what I would call crutches but they are more like sturdy silver metal walking sticks without the upper arm bits.
I am now 17days post op and on one crutch around house , if I venture to Physio I take both to make it easier getting in and out of the cab , I have manged to pigeon step without a crutch in the bathroom but leg ached and felt unsteady .
Everyone is different I would rather stay on the crutch longer than not use it and make healing more difficult .

I also have a knackered non operated hip/knee so makes things more awkward
 
Hi Sue
I hope you are feeling better by now. I had the same. Right after surgery so many friends stopped by and then their life went on and I was lying at home by myself. I did start to drive once I was off the heavy medication, which really helped me.
I hope you have a good weekend and take care.
Bea
 
Thanks Bea - I am doing a lot better. I had my right hip done so have to wait for the doctor's ok for insurance before I can drive. I see him on Tuesday, so fingers crossed!
 
Re: Walker/Crutches/Cane Transition

Thanks! I kinda figured that would be the advice. My doctor is kind of funny - this was my 4th surgery with him and all he said was "use your crutches then go to a cane" - he just leaves it up to me! I see him on Tuesday for a 3.5 week check-up so will ask him. Just don't want to undo any of the good stuff done cause I feel sooooo much better!
 
Re: Walker/Crutches/Cane Transition

Hi there, I used the walker for a good 4 wks, then on to the cane but it was what my pt advised based on my mobility. Even when I switched to the cane, my pt said to use the walker when I was fatigued so sometimes in the evenings I would use it and I still used it outside for my longer walks. Then at about 5 wks, I went to full cane and put the walker away. Are you working with any pt in home? If not just give the docs office a call and see what their guidelines are. Trust your body, it will let you know if you are trying to transition too quickly. you don't want to move on to quickly at the expense of proper healing. You only get one chance to do it right. Take care of yourself. -Cathy
 
Good luck on the driving. My doc made me wait 6 wks, but many others did not have to wait that long. I hope you don't. It is definitely hard not to be able to drive. Glad the blues have subsided and have a great wknd. -Cathy
 
Re: Walker/Crutches/Cane Transition

You've been given great advice about letting your body tell you when you are ready to advance to a different assistive device. Everyone is different. There is no right or wrong.

I used the walker exclusively for a little more than 3 weeks. It took that long for my leg to strengthen enough so that I didn't need bilateral support (I didn't have crutches so I never tried them). I had been told over and over "don't ever let yourself limp," so I waited until I could walk without a limp before changing to a cane. Even then, I still used the walker for trips to the bathroom during the night or when I first woke up in the morning--I didn't want to be half awake and trip over a cat or dog and fall.

After the 4 week or so point, things improved very quickly and I was able to walk short-ish distances without a cane from about 5 weeks on. I still took the cane with me for longer walks outside or in a store where I wanted a little extra support or to warn others that I needed more space and TLC. I was quite nervous about tripping, falling, or having someone run into me when I started going out where there were more people coming and going around me. I also didn't want the leg to get tired and then start limping, so I was very aware of my gait and I picked up the cane whenever I felt it was getting gimpy.

I also took my cane when I went out to visit my horses for a while even after I felt strong enough to walk without it. I wanted to have something in my hand to warn them to not push on me, argue with each other near me and run into me, or the like--falling was on my *NOT TO DO UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES" list. I was super conscientious about preventing a fall.

I remember trying to ride my bicycle outside around 6 weeks ... I got down the driveway and panicked--"I can't do this; I'm afraid I'll fall." I still haven't been able to bring myself to try again ... but maybe I'll try again this weekend.

Just a little side comment--I was so pleased that people everywhere opened doors for me, offerred to carry my groceries out, or whatever when they saw I was using a cane, even if I wasn't limping. It just made me feel good that people are still kind hearted and care about each other.

Dorothy
 
Cut that out people. :th_heehee: I just got the okeedookee to drive this past week. (10 weeks after surgery.)

Sue, I can appreciate the aloneness you may be feeling. Driving gets you to where you want to go. When I got into the car I wanted to drive until I ran out of $$$ or gas whichever came first but....I live on an island and that put a cramp in my plan. :loll:

I just try to keep busy. I watched alot of TV, read lots and just somehow get through to 5 pm. It's a bummer for sure. The blues are something that is so connected to the surgery.

My counsellor explained that our bodies do not understand :rolleyespink: that we gave our surgeons permission to assault our bodies. It just knows it's been assaulted. :scare: There is the stress of the injuries along with the physical remnants of the huge rush of adrenaline :arghh: that occurred when the surgery happened. This includes that tightening of all the muscles in the body and the mental spring to attention in our brains for the fight or flight reaction to the surgery.

Even though we had anesthetic our brains were still very aware of what was going on. That, she explained, was some of the reason we have the aches and pains in the weird spots in our bodies like wrists and elbows and sometimes feet. We were getting ready to fight or run. And this all occurred while we were "asleep" during surgery.

I figured no wonder the blues occur. It's just natural for the brain to feel vulnerable to what has happened. Just be gentle to yourself and cry when you need to and rant when you want to and post it all to us. We understand it all. Trust me.

Take care :ATT637464:

 
Wow, ten weeks. that must have been a long time to wait. Actually nobody told me how long to wait. My home PT told me I should not drive while on the heavy meds, so I got off them asap. The PT also made sure I got into and out of my car savely without hurting myself. I think I started to drive after 31/2 weeks or so. I waited a couple of days after stopping the meds. But then, I live in the boonies and there are not many cars on the roads in my area. It was also so icy around here that I could not walk outside my home. Even though I did not drive overly much, it sure helped my brain to be able to.
Carol, you say you live on an island. My brother lives in Victoria.
Have a great weekend.
Bea
 
Boogie, I had a TKA, and the first 3 weeks were hell. NO appetite, breakthrough pain, took more meds than prescribed, constipation, and I cried several times a day for absolutely no reason. I even thought it was the pain meds and stopped them for 3 days (INSANE AND NOT recommended). Then I read Josephine's article about the blues and it made so much sense. After that I started pain meds again according to prescription and things cleared up! I do think it is the brain's reaction to surgery, anesthesia, and narcotics. So many friends who had TKA had said the first 2 weeks were tough. I think it is the first 3 weeks. But now I am so much better and so glad I had the surgery. Happy Healing!
 
[Bonesmart.org] 18 days post op emotions

​
 
Hi Sue,

It sounds like you are progressing very well with your recovery. The timing of the transition from walker to crutches to cane, then walking unaided seems to be a very different experience for everyone. It to happen relatively quickly for me but the aching at the end of the day and the next morning has been slow to go away. My OS said to expect it to last for a few months and it will slowly goe away.

Regarding the post-op blues, I see a couple of earlier threads that describe my experience very well. The first few weeks were marked by rapid healing, attention from friends and family, and pain medication that masks some symptoms (physical and emotional). Then as things slowed down I noticed the progress was occurring but in much smaller increments, and regaining my stamina has been up and down.

I am 9 weeks post-op this week and had a couple of down days this week that I attribute to forgetting I am still recovering, and pushing a little too hard. One last comment of support is don't discount the added challenge you are facing as a care giver. I was in that role a couple of years ago. That combined with your recovery are two very good reasons for you to allow yourself a little longer time for the physical and emotional recovery.

Take care and keep posting. There are a lot of us experiencing similar feelings and physical challenges.

Don
 
Hi all! Thanks for the advice and encouragement!

I saw my Dr on Tuesday, and he said "as long as you feel safe" you can drive. He didn't say anything about those around me tho :hysterical: I am driving to and from work - will wait a bit before venturing further afield. He also encouraged me to move to a cane rather than one crutch - better posture.

So I am making great steps - driving, walking with a cane (which I tend to lose now and then - more progress!) and feeling much less blue. Onward and upward!

Have a great weekend everyone!
 
Hi Sue

Fantastic news, driving, moving to one cane and the blues are disappearing.... All very positive sign for life returning to some normality......... - well done you xxxx
 
Hi Sue, it's great to hear you are improving so much, isn't it great to be able to drive again, I find I am a bit stiff after and getting in and out of the car is a bit of a pain still but it's so worth it. Hope using the cane brings on more improvement.

Take care

Ann
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom