Recent content by Rick951

  1. Rick951

    PKR Need to decide between PKR and TKR

    Best of luck on your upcoming PKR! As stated I have recovered from 2 PKRs. I did a MUCH better job on the 2nd one. I was NOT trying to set a recovery record. I kept it elevated and Iced almost 24/7. I rented a game ready Ice/compression device. With that device you can set the...
  2. Rick951

    TKR JDinCT is Back - Now In FLA

    @JDinCT You might want to check out the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville FL. The now chair of the Orthopedic department did both of my PKRs. At that time did my knees, he was located in Charlotte NC. I am VERY happy with the results! He is extensively published. Just a thought..
  3. Rick951

    PKR Need to decide between PKR and TKR

    A good surgeon will only do a PKR if the rest of your knee is OK. For both of my surgeries I did not know what I ended up with till I woke up after surgery. At this point,, other than setting off metal detectors at airports.... I don't even think about my upgraded knee joints. :) :-) (: Good...
  4. Rick951

    PKR Need to decide between PKR and TKR

    I have a PKR in each knee. Right 2018, left 2020. The same surgeon did both. The 2nd one is slightly better than the right one. I think the reasons for the difference are: 1. I did not wait till the Left knee was a train wreck before having it done. 2. I did a Lot better job during recovery...
  5. Rick951

    Total or partial

    I had PKR in both knees. The right is aver 5 years old and the left is just over 4 years old. Still going strong. Without them I would not be mobile.
  6. Rick951

    PKR PKR or TKR? Conflicting opinions

    On the other side of the coin. I have had 2 PKRs, Right in 2018 and left in 2020. I have been very happy with the results. I do credit the surgeon for my success. He does a LOT of surgeries. In my opinion a talented surgeon is VERY important!
  7. Rick951

    TKR Polar Active Ice 3.0 Universal Cold Therapy System

    For my first PKR I had a regular Ice therapy (I think it was a Polar). It work well. For my 2nd PKR I rented a Game Ready Ice / Compression unit. I loved it!! I used it over 20 hours a day. I went through about 500 lbs of Ice in a month. Granted the coolers were outside in July in...
  8. Rick951

    PKR PartialFix -- Recovering...

    @partialfixFeb The other thing I did have in my favor for my 2nd PKR. I was physically and mentally MUCH better prepared. I had to quit smoking to get my first PKR done but, I had only quit 2 weeks before the surgery. For my 2nd. I was 1.5 years out from smoking, so my body was in much...
  9. Rick951

    PKR PartialFix -- Recovering...

    @partialfixFeb I think I waited a bit to long for my first (RPKR) I was barely able to walk normally for more than 10 yards. I was bone on bone and living on NSAIDS. My body paid the price for that. For my 2nd I was bone one bone, but not in as much pain. I did have some episodes when...
  10. Rick951

    TKR 2nd knee, 2nd recovery

    I had a bad reaction to the dressing on both knees. The first one I thought it was just from overly aggressive PT on my part. By the second one I came to the conclusion it was a reaction to the surgical dressing. It was the LOW point of my recovery. Good news it did heal.
  11. Rick951

    TKR Flutter1’s BoneSmart Success

    @Flutter1 I noticed from your signature you have one partial and your new total. I have to partials, that are doing great at the moment. Since you have one of each, what are the differences you notice? Thanks in advance!
  12. Rick951

    PKR Patriciad Left PKR Recovery

    The scars fade over time. Enjoy them while you can.:) After a year and 1/2 my newest one is hardly noticeable. For a while I was putting a treatment to make the scar fade. I gave up, as a male I don't care how my knee looks.......
  13. Rick951

    TKR Round 2

    @Rubyroo Good luck tomorrow! My 2nd was SO much easier than the first! My expectations for a quick recovery were much lower. I pushed much less, spent more time icing and elevating, and letting my body heal. I only did PT to discomfort or boredom whichever came first...
  14. Rick951

    TKR 2nd knee, 2nd recovery

    Glad you are on your way home! You have a good excuse /reason to chill out and relax! Your main job, as you know is to Ice and elevate. I am about 1 year ahead of you as far as replacements go. Mine were both PKRs, Other than not feeling comfortable kneeling, my knees are so much better...
  15. Rick951

    TKR 2nd knee, 2nd recovery

    @Sara61 Glad your surgery went well! Sorry to hear you were under medicated, at least that is behind you! Now on to recovery, best of luck!
Back
Top Bottom