Recent content by Night Owl

  1. N

    Tibial Plateau Fracture Tibia Plateau Recovery

    Thank you! Pre injury I had full function. Used to run regularly and weight train. I love exercise and not being able to run (especially outside) was a hard adjustment. I had good function pre surgery. Could walk for long periods and had full extension and flexion at about 120°. Have never...
  2. N

    Tibial Plateau Fracture Tibia Plateau Recovery

    Quick update in case this thread is useful for anyone in the future. I had all the metal work barring one screw removed 4 days ago. First couple of days were uncomfortable but I am back up and walking and the pain is very manageable with paracetamol. Making sure I keep gently moving and...
  3. N

    Amputation Left Above-Knee Amputation, 22 April 2025

    You are amazing! Thank you so much for keeping this thread updated and I hope you continue to see improvement with the phantom pain. As an aside, I completely agree that appropriate weight training and walking is great for recovery and general health.
  4. N

    Tibial Plateau Fracture Post tibia surgery

    Slowly and gently is definitely the way. I had a tibia plateau fracture in September 2023. 3 plates and over 20 screws were inserted and it took a long time for the swelling to start to decrease. It will get better as long as you give your body time to heal. The excellent advice about elevating...
  5. N

    Tibial Plateau Fracture Pain when learning to walk again

    PT three times a week is great as long as it isn't pushing too hard especially after a MUA. I had increased pain for weeks after a too intense PT session and will no longer engage in anything that will push my leg to that point. I do find moving more and not pushing to the point of pain is the...
  6. N

    Tibial Plateau Fracture Pain when learning to walk again

    Pain in the evenings may mean you are doing too much. Recovery can take a while so please be kind to yourself and speak to your doctor if you are unsure.
  7. N

    Tibial Plateau Fracture Pain when learning to walk again

    I still use one crutch most of the time when out of the house 12 months after my surgery. Admittedly, my injury was very severe but, I use a crutch as it helps my confidence and let's me do more. Equally, I can walk with a really good gait consistently which is very important and is helping to...
  8. N

    Tibial Plateau Fracture Pain when learning to walk again

    Hello. I has a grade 6 tibia plateau fracture last year. I was non weight bearing for 3 months and it was very painful putting my foot back on the floor! Best advice I can share at this point is it will get better and to be patient. Take pain medication as needed (and prescribed) and ice and...
  9. N

    Tibial Plateau Fracture Tibia Plateau Recovery

    I wanted to keep updating this thread in case it is useful for someone in future. I am now 12 months post surgery and walking for an hour plus a day. Still have my cane as I am usually on my own but, I can usually walk unaided over most terrain. Still avoiding slippery surfaces and steep hills...
  10. N

    Tibial Plateau Fracture Will Arthrofibrosis Resolve on its own?

    I had a grade 6 tibia plateau back in September 2023 with 3 plates and over 20 screws. I am nearly 8 months into recovery now and really wish I hadn't worried so much about ROM in the early days. My bend was less than 90° for months and I can now comfortably bend to 120° plus. Still working on...
  11. N

    Knee Infection* Limb Salvage Surgery Recovery

    I have nothing useful to add but wanted to send you my very best wishes. Thank you so much for sharing and I really admire your positivity.
  12. N

    TKR LTKR - 1/3/24 - Extension Problems

    Walking at a slower pace but with correct placement and properly rolling through from heel to toe was key for me too. Agree that working on a larger stride (when safe!) is brilliant but just focusing on walking correctly helps me.
  13. N

    TKR LTKR - 1/3/24 - Extension Problems

    Strengthening your quads will help. Gentle PT exercises focused on building strength in the quads worked well for me as did elevating my leg leaving my knee unsupported for a few minutes letting gravity help with straightening. Golden rule for me is don't push beyond where the joint is...
  14. N

    TKR Injury vs arthritis

    This sounds really tough. I am not surprised your wife is struggling as there has been so much trauma for her leg. I really hope you find some answers soon.
  15. N

    TKR 8 months out

    Sending a hug. I am nearly 6 months post surgery for a grade 6 tibia plateau. No knee replacement but lots of trauma and metalwork in my knee. The first few months were very tough especially as my initial PT pushed too hard for more ROM. I am now in a good place able to walk for 45 minutes plus...
Back
Top Bottom