Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* Limb Salvage Surgery Recovery

Major Update that is very well overdue: February 7th I had follow-up scans, and there was a concerning lytic region in my tibia near the stem of my implant. Had CT’s which further increased their concerns so they booked me for the OR the next week for an open biopsy, cultures, and washout. Good news-no cancer reoccurrence. Bad news-the infection is back. I had another surgery after cultures came back so they could go and bone graft and fill the lytic area.

After that surgery, scans revealed my femur component now showed evidence of the infection back up there. A decision was made to pull out everything and do a single stage revision, accompanied with suppressive antibiotics. (Infectious Disease said I’ll likely be on them forever, which I’m fine with) This was really our only option as the alternative was amputation. So they booked me an OR that following week. This whole ordeal was 3 surgeries, 4 weeks.

February 27th I got brought back to the OR for my revision. Everything went relatively smooth, with the exception of a femur fracture while took out the cemented femoral stem. I was inpatient for 5 days this time around. This recovery has been particularly hard. So. Much. Pain. I definitely have a very high pain tolerance but days 6-14 I had times where I was in tears for hours even after taking my pain meds.

After two weeks, things started looking better. I started going to physical therapy and we did some work in the parallel bars. That gave me the confidence to drop a crutch and switch to one. I lost my cane as my house flooded late January (we lost most of our house, so I think my cane got thrown out in the mix. But this is a knee replacement forum, so I’ll leave it at that). A day after switching to one crutch, I just randomly stopped using it and walking on my own. I feel stable and relatively strong. My PT eval showed I’ve lost a lot of strength in all of my muscle groups, but that was expected. Amazing how much your muscles can atrophy if they aren’t being used even just a couple days.

I have my follow up with infectious disease and Ortho this upcoming week to make sure we still don’t have any evidence of the infection. Assuming the single stage revision, cleanouts, and antibiotics have done their job hopefully it’s smooth sailing from here.

I found myself referring back to my previous journal throughout this recovery and comparing where I was before. It shows every recovery is different and there’s no reason to be discouraged that you’re not where you think you should be (whether it’s comparing to your previous surgeries, or someone else’s journey). I’m not sure what I’ll update from here on out as hopefully it’s just smooth sailing! Thanks for reading.
IMG_9265.jpeg
IMG_9268.jpeg
 
Oh you HAVE been through really trying times (p.s. sharing or venting about other major life events is fine here, but we also respect each person's privacy decisions).
I'm glad you're with us, limbs intact, no return of cancer, and hopefully comfortably sheltered.
Here's hoping for good news from ID and ortho this week!
 
p.s. sharing or venting about other major life events is fine here, but we also respect each person's privacy decisions
Absolutely! This is a supportive place for all the stuff being thrown at us whilst we try to recover. Unfortunately, sometimes lots of difficult things happen together.
day after switching to one crutch, I just randomly stopped using it and walking on my own. I feel stable and relatively strong. My PT eval showed I’ve lost a lot of strength in all of my muscle groups, but that was expected. Amazing how much your muscles can atrophy if they aren’t being used even just a couple days.
That is great that you are able to walk so well, given what you have been through. Hopefully the muscles will soon start to build up again. I remember after my son broke his tibia- how thin his calf looked after the plaster came off. I was really shocked but it improved with just normal walking.
 
Such a journey you've been on. I am so sorry the infection returned, hopefully you had a reassuring visit with the Infectious Disease doctor last week. You certainly remain optimistic through all, which is admirable and so inspiring. I wish you only the best and hope you'll check in with us again soon. Many blessings to you!
@daddydaygo
 
I have nothing useful to add but wanted to send you my very best wishes. Thank you so much for sharing and I really admire your positivity.
 
I was just reading back on this thread and man, it’s been a journey! I’m so blessed to be where I’m at. For anyone following, I’m around ~5 months post op from the latest surgery, and feel fantastic. I stopped going to physical therapy and started doing workouts myself at the gym around month 2 post op. It of course isn’t a perfect leg, but all things considered, I’m doing pretty dang good. I do what I want, when I want. No cane, no crutches, no walker. Still taking my antibiotics twice daily, and still no sign of the infection being back. For whoever may read this in the future, I wish you the best with your journeys and pray you will have a pain free recovery and come back better than before!! Thanks for reading.
 
Oh man it's good, no, GREAT to find your update !!!! Thank you. May it only get even better!
 
Go daddydaygo! :egypdance: You're doing so well. Fantastic news! I sense your joy and enthusiasm and I agree that you're blessed. Thanks for taking the time to share such an uplifting progress report.
Best Wishes always!
@daddydaygo
 
Daddydaygo,
I am new to BoneSmart and one of the staff members sent me this thread. I hope you are making progress after your last (fifth!?) surgery. You have travelled a rough road and my heart goes out to you.
I, too, have a megaprosthesis (right leg) due to bone cancer (leimyosarcoma). My surgery was May 19, 2023. My device is 18 inches long. I have yet to find anyone who has had this procedure and benchmarks are hard to come by. So I celebrate my victories as they have come to me: walking up a slope, down a slope, up stairs, down stairs, getting down on the ground and getting back up again, driving - they are all incredible accomplishments. I don't take a single body part for granted. I celebrate my emotional victories, too. Cancer and a disabling surgery packs a powerful one-two punch.
P.S. I did talk to a wonderful young man who has a megaprosthetic arm; he is five years out from his surgery and playing golf, even though his surgeon told him that would never happen. Never say never.
 
@daddydaygo please note the post above this one from a new member to you!
 
I celebrate my victories as they have come to me: walking up a slope, down a slope, up stairs, down stairs, getting down on the ground and getting back up again, driving - they are all incredible accomplishments. I don't take a single body part for granted. I celebrate my emotional victories, too. Cancer and a disabling surgery packs a powerful one-two punch.
Big hugs for all you've endured, buffingc :console2: The road ahead is full of possibilities, you've come a long way. Many blessings to you in this new year!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom