Recent content by Murphy2013

  1. Murphy2013

    PKR Bransonkiwi Partial Knee Replacement

    Hello Gyhel, I am just reaching out to see how you’re doing now and if there are any things that you as a PKR warrior could share with me from the experiences you have had. I had aTKR in 2020 and now I’m a candidate for a PKR on other knee. Big difference is that my support network of mother and...
  2. Murphy2013

    TKR Back to needing fellow Bonesmarties input.

    Thank you for all your kind thoughts. I’m trying to really internalize this learning this time. I scheduled an appointment with the OS this upcoming Monday in case it doesn’t get any better with rest/ice.
  3. Murphy2013

    TKR Back to needing fellow Bonesmarties input.

    My new knee has never been perfect but it has been adequate to take care of household,walk the dog, shop for groceries, drive husband with ALZ to get his favorite fro yo, go swimming every other day, go to Church services. Not a bad life when I look at it in writing. But instead of being...
  4. Murphy2013

    Bilateral TKR New member - Bilateral TKR February 2021

    Hello Merlin, reading your thread I thought maybe some “re-framing” was in order. Our whole lives we are taught, and then experience personally, that the more effort we put towards something, the better the outcome. So this very adaptive trait that gets us places (taking on things, getting...
  5. Murphy2013

    TKR Birdwatcher's recovery thread

    Hello Birdwatcher, it is so true that the hardest part of this journey is the emotional part with the “burial” of our former selves. I had to let go of the former self who was a dedicated tennis player since 1971. I played tournaments and competed in USTA leagues. But this is my life now. I can...
  6. Murphy2013

    TKR Back to needing fellow Bonesmarties input.

    Thank you so much FC. I just came up with a new mantra; Slow is the new fast. I have been living a life propelled by faster and now my knee says that I will do better with slower. Just because I can go at a good clip one day does not mean the knee wants to go fast as the new normal. I bought...
  7. Murphy2013

    TKR Back to needing fellow Bonesmarties input.

    Thank you very much for your feedback. Reflecting back on what I did wrong, it was a classic case of not respecting my knee’s limits. The machine had worked well for me within limits of small time segments.Then I decided that I wanted to get to the end of a tv series on my iPad. Brilliant. So I...
  8. Murphy2013

    TKR Back to needing fellow Bonesmarties input.

    Hello to all Tkr friends. Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water... I am 8.5 months post op and thought well, this is it. I’m all through with this knee. I can do what I want. I am sure that my Sunday is gloomy and painful because I overdid it on a Flexionator machine that...
  9. Murphy2013

    TKR Zilretta

    Hi Sharon! My knee is at its 8 month anniversary this next week and there has been a world of difference (that I thought was never going to happen) from month 5-6 to month 8. I know that when I was at month 4 like you are it seemed like such slow going and I truly felt at the bottom of the...
  10. Murphy2013

    TKR Zilretta

    Hi Sharon, I am 4 knee months ahead of you (they are like dog years, 1 knee month = 7 regular months in terms of progress). I can’t give you anything except my experience that from a horribly hard recovery comes a really good pain free knee. Every bit of advice from my Bonesmart guides has been...
  11. Murphy2013

    TKR Zilretta

    Hi Sharon, yes I bought mine out of pocket. I got my Auvon unit for $39 on Amazon. It’s been useful over the years. I just use one setting. It is well worth trying because there is zero downside and lots of potential upside. Honestly when I needed pain pills, I took pain pills. The last time...
  12. Murphy2013

    TKR Zilretta

    Hi again TKR Sharon, yes I have the tens machine at home as well and used it around months 4 and 5 instead of extra pain meds. I had to get my husband to lift my right leg onto the couch at that time. Aah the memories! Now after month 6 I find I like the feel of the the sticky pad surrounding...
  13. Murphy2013

    TKR Zilretta

    Hello Sharon, I just read your whole thread and had a thought. If someone was cutting or coloring your hair, would it be hard to speak up and say “yuck, this is not what we discussed! I do not want a lime green buzz cut.” But when we are in great distress after a TKR we feel the weakest version...
  14. Murphy2013

    TKR Birdwatcher's recovery thread

    Hello Birdwatcher! What a great idea. I think we will go birding soon. I forgot about a lot of normal life. I keep my small Swarovski birding glasses in the car with a book for identification. This a red tail who lives in tree outside my window. Can you tell me about ocean swimming. I am so...
  15. Murphy2013

    TKR Back to needing fellow Bonesmarties input.

    Thank you all so much. My click out cleat was my right foot which I trained in for a long time. When I started in cleats, I let both sides share the job which resulted in (of course) an embarrassing slow speed fall on the bike trail. I want to go back to letting it have the job someday but maybe...
Back
Top Bottom