TKRsharon
member
- Joined
- Dec 1, 2020
- Messages
- 200
- Age
- 71
- Location
- Long Island, New York
- Gender
- Female
- Country
United States
Hi TinAB, Thank you for reaching out! I was going to PT 3 times a week and did not make the connection between the PT, (which I now realize was too rigorous) and the awful pain, swelling and regression. The really sad part is neither did the surgeon, or the PT. I was sent for and MRI, aspiration and blood tests. No one realized the soft tissue damage was from over doing it. I decided to cut down to 2 days a week and speak up about my needs. Today was the best day I have had since the surgery. I actually fell asleep last night, on my own - no meds. I slept for about 5 hours - the longest stretch since the surgery. I have less pain and swelling today and believe my ROM is greater. I do quad exercises and heal slides at home. If they do not respect my requests this week, I will have to find another PT or do what you have done. I am so happy to hear how well you are doing on your own! That gives me encouragement. Also, I am impressed by your 30 minute walks. I have only done 15-20 minutes. I also have to walk around the house on bad weather days. I have to admit, this has been an awful road. I wish I found this site before the surgery to prepare myself for what to expect. It is great to talk to people like you who have/are going through the same thing. listening to folks like you and to your body is the best medicine! Be well!
) and then added time if that went well. About 5 minute increments.
I have just read your entire posts, I think it is shocking what your PT has out you thru. You are healing from a major surgery not a sports accident, you don't need harsh painful PT. My surgeon actually told me it was not necessary and that my daily living activities and the occasional walk was all that I needed, two weeks my surgery after I went to PT out of curiosity as the therapist was a family friend, basically we did a few gentle exercises but nothing like what you have described.