PKR Bransonkiwi Partial Knee Replacement

Nice to know. I’m not having any difficulties sleeping thankfully, so it’s really nice to know I can try my favorite side sleeping position.
 
Yep….it’s all about what is comfortable for you. You won’t hurt anything with your implant by sleeping on your side. Happy snoozing!!!
 
I think I might have to do the same thing for my dental appt.?
It is common to wait at least three months post op for elective dental procedures due to the risk of bacteria from your mouth getting into your bloodstream with a new implant. Definitely speak with your OS on this. This will include routine cleanings.
Good to read you're sleeping well, that's wonderful! :sleep:
Have a great evening and Thursday!
 
Thank you. I see my Dr. on Friday morning to get my dressing off. I will check with them too, and I’ve also heard a patient must take antibiotics before a dental appointment within a certain period of time of a procedure? Like four tablets at a time the day before?
I have had a wonderful relaxing day today. I’ve
done my stretching exercises. Used my ice. Read my book, and walked with my husband and ‘pups’ this morning LEGALLY using my cane. I can’t say enough how happy I am so far with my progress.
 
I’ve also heard a patient must take antibiotics before a dental appointment within a certain period of time of a procedure? Like four tablets at a time the day before?
This varies from OS to OS, so it is wise of you to bring it up with your surgeon on Friday.
I'm happy for you that you're pleased with your progress, had a full day and enjoyed yourself. Wonderful news!
 
I’m now two weeks out. Cleared to use my cane. Had my dressing removed and my ‘team’ is happy with my progress. I was advised no dental work, even a teeth cleaning, for NINE months. Of course emergencies can happen and decisions made to handle them at the time. Derm appts can still be made. If anything major comes up from these checks my Dr. advised to seek direction from them at that time. Your ‘team’ stresses if it hurts, it’s not good. Discomfort is okay. Hurting no. One issue I’m having (here it comes), when I lay on my back and do straight leg lifts I have pain in my groin. I have had both hips replaced in 2014. I’ve essentially had no problems with them. Because of this happening to my knee a year ago September, I learned to walk ‘funny’ to be in less pain. Unfortunately this caused me to have pain in my groin area. It’s definitely not as bad, and doesn’t hurt just to walk anymore, but these ‘leg lifts’ do. Please advise?
 
@GyHel I wouldn’t force the leg lifts. My PT told me to do them at one of my first appointments, it hurt my back to do the first one (I’d had spine issues for years) I told him I’m not doing those, and he said “Well we won’t rob Peter to pay Paul.”

So, just do exercises that you like and are comfortable to do, because:

Regaining our ROM does not require forceful bending or painful exercises. That is counterproductive.

Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.

By the way, I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:
 
Thank you for the clarification. It’s reassuring to have positive feedback - and thank you for marrying my feed to my previous posts. I think you provided something for me to watch so I can learn how to do this by myself? I’m old, a slow learner, but willing to try.
 
Hello and Happy Monday GyHel
At less than three weeks post PKR tissues are still healing. You've been compensating with an altered gait as your knee deteriorated and once post op, gait changes again as the body adjusts to the implant. This is likely playing into the straight leg lifts producing pain in your groin. You can ask your PT to suggest alternatives and see what they come up with. Discomfort is okay, but if there's pain, you're right...time to STOP.

No worries about being a slow learner here. Please let us know if you have questions, we'll be happy to help.
Glad to read your team is happy with your progress. May it only get better! :SUNsmile:
@GyHel
 
I see zero reason to do straight leg raises postop.
1) they don't actively engage the quads in ways that benefit us
2) at not even a month post op it's way too early to focus on strengthening, beyond walking, as muscles and tendons haven't healed are are easily overtaxed

The only exercises I found helpful at your stage of recovery and well into the third month were
1) quad sets - that's with the leg out in front of you, knee flexed as needed for comfort, and engaging the entire quadriceps so that the knee slightly drops, creating a bit of knee extension. It helps get the little nerves and muscle bundles that make up the quads firing in sync for effective contraction.
2) seated heel slides - doing them lying down is uncomfortable because our hips are so flexed; it's easier and more effective to do them sitting on a sturdy chair. Breathe slowly and deeply relax the leg as much as possible, and do the slide slowly and easily in time to your breathing - only to the point of mild discomfort. Moving into pain, especially in the initial months, is counterproductive and at best creates rebound swelling, at worst strains unhealed muscles.
 
I had a very good therapy today sans straight leg lifts per your helpful direction. 97 deg. knee flex, on my way to 120 deg. Doing good with straight leg. I can actually get in and out of the car (gingerly) without putting my seat all the way back and opening the door ALL THE WAY! Still walking a little over a mile in the mornings. What a great time of the year to have this done without ice and snow.
Thank you for being there. . .
 
Excellent!!! Yes my total.knees loved walking more than anything else.
 
Great report. My knee loved walking too.
Just be careful with wet leaves making the ground slippery.
 
You're doing great, GyHel. Enjoy the morning walks! :walking:
@GyHel
 
Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you have a great day and a pleasant week. :SUNsmile:
@GyHel
 
Hi Gyhel,
Happy Two Month Anniversary! It's been awhile since you've updated your thread. I hope all is well and you are able to share your progress with us soon. We'd love to offer some cheer as you continue your healing journey.
Best Wishes for a Happy Thanksgiving next week! :)
@GyHel
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year all rolled into one.
Hope to read an update from you soon. We'd love to hear from you!
@GyHel
 
Hello Gyhel, I am just reaching out to see how you’re doing now and if there are any things that you as a PKR warrior could share with me from the experiences you have had. I had aTKR in 2020 and now I’m a candidate for a PKR on other knee. Big difference is that my support network of mother and husband are no longer in service.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom