Recent content by kymammovanner

  1. K

    How long did you ice?

    I didn't have any type of ice machine when I went home-made do with ice packs etc; but I wish I had made the investment. Making sure the ice packs stayed in place at night, and that there was always something frozen was a bite. My insurance didn't cover any type of cold therapy, so I thought it...
  2. K

    Can this be successful?

    PT can be kind of hard, especially at first. You'll notice no one on Bonesmart writes about how much fun it is!! It IS easier to do PT on one knee at a time-that's what I meant. Doing PT on both knees every time you go for therapy would be twice as difficult I would imagine. (That's what I meant...
  3. K

    TKR Ironman makes it to other side

    Glad to hear all is well. I was really worried beforehand because I had my second TKR scheduled for 2 weeks later, & I was afraid I was starting something nasty. I still have a noticeable scar where the hole was, but probably no one but me pays any attention to it. The 6 inch scars on each knee...
  4. K

    Can this be successful?

    It sounds as if I'm one of the few who had my knee replacements done separately, but closely together. (7 weeks apart) Probably whichever decision you make, you will be happy with. There are pros and cons to each way; one surgery, one rehab, etc. if done together. Done separately, you always...
  5. K

    TKR Ironman makes it to other side

    Ironman, I had something that sounds very similar to what you have at the top of your scar. Red, hard area with a little open area that oozed some watery, blood tinged stuff at about 5 weeks. It was a suture abcess, which sounds worse than it is. The nurse practitioner squeezed a little stuff...
  6. K

    Can this be successful?

    The decision to do both knees at the same time probably will best be made by you and your surgeon together. As you have read on this forum, many people have them done successfully at the same time. I had mine done 7 weeks apart, and that worked well for me, but not everyone has the luxury of...
  7. K

    TKR The Good Parts and Some of the Challenges in my Recovery Path

    Glad to hear you are back in the pool. Swimming is hard work; my favorite part is visiting with my friends in the locker room! Chlorine makes everything better :)
  8. K

    TKR The Good Parts and Some of the Challenges in my Recovery Path

    Haze, it's good to hear that there is a fellow swimmer on this forum! After both my TKRs, my OS said I could go back in a chlorinated pool 4 weeks after surgery, as long as my incision was completely healed. Both times, in 4 weeks it was healed, so 4 weeks and one day after surgery, I was back...
  9. K

    Bilateral TKR Vancouver USA Recovers

    I was one of those who never even considered that I would have to go to a skilled nursing facility (I'm relatively young, only doing one knee at a time, have a hubby at home to help). But my blood pressure didn't co-operate, and I ended up having to go to a SKF for a few days. I had NO choices...
  10. K

    TKR 12 days post surgery

    Constipated-yes. I'm blaming it on the prescription pain meds (which I'm weaning myself off of) and the lack of activity, because I'm drinking enough water to float a boat, and I'm singlehandedly keeping the Fiber One company in business. I'm still taking the stool softeners which help some, but...
  11. K

    TKR 12 days post surgery

    It's all very normal-in fact, sounds like you are doing very well. I'm almost 4 weeks out from my second TKR and just last week can sleep OK some nights. Not most nights, mind you, but sometimes. Both my legs get very stiff overnight, and it seems like I toss and turn A LOT! In the first two...
  12. K

    TKR Knee replacements 7 weeks apart

    @I'm so ready and @mimi53, thanks for letting me know that the second one was a little more difficult, because that's how I feel. Not that the second is terrible, but because the first one is still kinda sore, sometimes I think I just don't have the strength I did first time around (which I...
  13. K

    TKR I'm 2 years out - Hooray

    I'll have to try the Aleve-sometimes I overdo it, but I don't want to up the Oxicodone. Are you driving? That's why I was so anxious to get off it when I had my left knee replaced-I wanted to drive but was afraid to with the oxycodone. Now it's my right knee but I'm nowhere near driving, so not...
  14. K

    TKR I'm 2 years out - Hooray

    Just out of curiosity, is your Oxycodone 15 mg. a single tablet? My prescription for Oxycodone HCL is a 5 mg. tablet, which is prescribed "1 to 2 tablets every 4 to 6 hours." So when I first got them I took 2 tablets every 4 hours, (12 tablets daily) then cut back to 2 tablets every 6 hours, (8...
Back
Top Bottom