Recent content by kfriedm

  1. K

    Bilateral TKR Hitched A Ride to The Other Side

    Congrats on your anniversary and your successful return to jazzin! I started back at jazzercise in January -- so far going twice a week and working to build my stamina back up. The knee is holding up fine, but so far I've done all standing for the strength training part of the classes. I'm...
  2. K

    TKR I'm Home

    my surgery was in May and I wasn't able to go all the way around until mid-July. You are still early in the recovery process -- you will get there!
  3. K

    When did you go back to work?

    I went back to work after 8 weeks. I have a "desk job" but do need to get up fairly often to confer with others in the office. I did find on the first day back that my knee really swelled up from sitting up all day, so I brought in some ice packs to keep in the freezer at work. I keep one on...
  4. K

    Bilateral TKR Hitched A Ride to The Other Side

    Thanks for the info. I'm in my third week back to work and stamina hasn't really been an issue thus far. I do keep ice on the knee whenever I am sitting at my desk and prop it up as often as I can. The slower I walk the more normal my gait is but I can really show a limp if I try to hurry. I...
  5. K

    Bilateral TKR Hitched A Ride to The Other Side

    You are doing so well -- I'm envious. I have a question for you as a Jazzercise instructor: I know the bar is higher when you go back to being an Instructor, but do you have any insight as to when it would be ok to go back as a student? I suspended my membership for June and July, and have 3...
  6. K

    TKR Pre-op Over; Now it's Recovery time!

    Thanks Judy. I am following the ice/elevate/pain meds religiously. I have an ice machine that is on whenever I'm on the couch and I am taking the meds on the four hour schedule. I guess that's why I am frustrated. I don't expect to be better this soon, but I'm disappointed to be going...
  7. K

    TKR Pre-op Over; Now it's Recovery time!

    I've had 2 more home pt sessions and my progress is going in reverse. My flexion measurement today was 65, after starting at 80 last Friday. The therapist is going to talk to the OS about possibly using a CPM. The pain is sometimes overwhelming -- I found myself sobbing uncontrollably at the...
  8. K

    PKR Piglet - 14th May 2012 - back home

    I found this cartoon on a tshirt site. Seems appropriate to the conversation! (this is my first stab at an attachment -- please forgive if it takes more than one try)
  9. K

    TKR Quick question on the first time you stood post surgery

    My new knee feels completely normal, except for the surgical pain. I wondered if it would feel different after the surgery, but honestly I can't tell that the contents are different from my "real" knee.
  10. K

    PKR Piglet - 14th May 2012 - back home

    I'm glad things went well for you Monday. I think I'm going to try a shower tonight. Just the idea of it makes me queasy, but my husband bought a cast protector for me and I really need to clean up before the police come and investigate the bad smell :th_heehee:
  11. K

    TKR Pre-op Over; Now it's Recovery time!

    I just had my first in home PT session. Mostly administrative details and setting baselines. My flexion is at 80; he did not measure extension :scratch: The therapist said my doctor would like me to be at 115 after 3 weeks. I told him I would certainly try my best and do the exercises as I'm...
  12. K

    TKR Pre-op Over; Now it's Recovery time!

    I am on 5mg oxycodone for pain, 1-3 tablets every 4 hours as needed. I've been taking 3 tablets every four hours -- even setting the alarm clock to get up at night. I let the pain get the better of me in the hospital and I DO NOT want to let that happen again. I'm getting around better today...
  13. K

    TKR Pre-op Over; Now it's Recovery time!

    Came home today after surgery Monday morning. I had general anesthesia with a femoral block. Very effective at keeping pain to a minimum, but I did have small issues with nausea as a result. Monday was spent basically in bed nodding in and out of sleep -- a combination of drugs, exhaustion...
  14. K

    RTKR on May 14

    Thanks Janet -- I just finished wiping myself down with the antiseptic cloths. Before that, I had to make a last minute run to the grocery store when I realized that I didn't have any nail polish remover :DOH: I am now going to try to get to sleep; the alarm is set for 4:15am. I'll post when...
  15. K

    May Marvelettes 2012 - Are you having knee surgery in May?

    Thanks Piglet! Good luck to you too. I look forward to hearing that things are going well for you on the other side.
Back
Top Bottom