TKR Pre-op Over; Now it's Recovery time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do I note the influence of pain meds in the above post? :th_heehee: Welcome to the "other side", Piglet. I know you've prepared yourself for recovery. So follow that BoneSmart mantra: pain meds on a schedule, lots of rest, elevate (toes above nose), and ice, ice, ice. Stick with easy bends and stretches in the first couple of weeks, and be prepared for the constipation monster who come with the pain meds.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.

Oops yes :rolleyespink: I think I'm more with it than I am at times :th_heehee:
 
Well done Kathy

Mine has gone down from that but am ok with it. I keep forgetting you guys get hit with physio early. I'm quite pleased I don't have to see them for 6 weeks so I can do the exercises at my knees pace Well done you.
 
YAHOO! Wow - you people are all amazing! I'm going to have some pretty big shoes to fill bringing up the rear of the month!!! :wink1:

Sounds like you're doing fantastic! I'll be anxiously awaiting additional posts on your progress!


Not long Holly. You'll be ace. I found I'm quite a natural at lounging around with my leg in the air attached to an ice pack! Now the physio.......:hysterical:
 
I've had 2 more home pt sessions and my progress is going in reverse. My flexion measurement today was 65, after starting at 80 last Friday. The therapist is going to talk to the OS about possibly using a CPM.

The pain is sometimes overwhelming -- I found myself sobbing uncontrollably at the cat yesterday for some minor infraction. I know I'm early in the process, but I'm feeling pretty discouraged right now. Trying to keep up with the drugs on schedule. I finished with the oxycodone and started on hyrdocodone today, 1-3 tablets every 3-5 hours with no more than 8 tablets per day.

I'm sure there will be friends to tell me it will get better. I just need to vent -- my husband is being great but he doesn't get it.
 
Kathy, if your pain is sometimes overwhelming, you are not getting enough from your pain meds or you are not taking them on a schedule that keeps the pain at bay. You never wait until you're in pain to take them---if you do, you are paying catch up for the next 24 hours.

If you are taking them on a 4 hour schedule and still having pain, you need to talk with your OS or GP about increasing dosage or using some other pain killer. It is very difficult to heal when you are in pain.

Are you elevating and icing lots and lots. If not, you should be. If your knee is swollen, you are not going to get bend (flexion). You have to get the swelling down before being able to work on bending. And you have to keep all the exercises easy and gentle. Your knee is very angry right now and making it angrier only makes things worse.

Give yourself a break, Kathy. You are not quite 2 weeks post op. You are expecting way too much way too soon. This really is NOT like other surgeries where in a couple of weeks you're pretty much back to "normal." You are not goint to feel "normal" for 4 to 6 months.

You've got to follow the BoneSmart mantra for the next couple of months at least: take pain meds on schedule, rest a lot (watch mindless TV), elevate, and ice, ice, ice. All exercise should be easy and gentle--NO PAIN allowed. Take and eat what you must to stave off the dreaded constipation monster who comes with pain meds. And remember--TIME & PATIENCE---TIME & PATIENCE----TIME & PATIENCE. Just let yourself be a star couch potato for the next several weeks---it will pay off big time. Reach way down deep inside and find all your POSITIVE vibes 'cause you need them big time right not. And, Kathy, YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Please take care of yourself and keep us posted. We care.
 
Thanks Judy. I am following the ice/elevate/pain meds religiously. I have an ice machine that is on whenever I'm on the couch and I am taking the meds on the four hour schedule. I guess that's why I am frustrated. I don't expect to be better this soon, but I'm disappointed to be going backwards. I see the OS next Tuesday to have my staples removed and I'll ask then about a different pain medication if I'm still in so much pain.
 
I do see a bit of a problem with your meds, Kathy. If you are taking 2 hydrocodone every 4 hours, that would be 6 pills in a 24 hour period. You say your prescription only allows for 8 pills in that time. So that is going to leave you with a large block of time when you are not covered for pain. I'm guessing that you may be trying to go through the night with no pain meds and, frankly, that won't work!

Most prescriptions for this med are 2 pills every 4 hours through both day and night for a total of 12 pills per 24 hours.

You do need to have an honest discussion with your surgeon about meds. Be assertive and tell him the pain is disabling! This is not the time to sugar coat things. If you don't get something changed for the better, then contact your GP for help. They are usually a lot more understanding about the need for adequate pain management.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom