Recent content by Kavan

  1. K

    Bilateral TKR Luisa's road to recovery June 10th, 2013

    Luisa one thing that helped me was thinking about my back to work date in a positive fashion. I knew I wanted to go back to work July 30th so that became my driving factor. When I had setbacks or issues I would tell myself by July 30th I'll be walking straight at work. When I did therapy I'd...
  2. K

    Bilateral TKR Question about sleeping

    A pillow stack really helped my comfort level. It's interesting you preferred a recliner at first. As a bilateral I could not abide recliners for weeks and weeks even for a short time, and spent weeks in bed b/c that was more comfortable.
  3. K

    a BTKR in my future?

    As anyone here would suggest read some of the bilateral threads and inform yourself on the procedure. I went in with my eyes wide open and having read a lot of accounts here and there were still a lot of eye opening moments. It's something to think about. Surgeons often really undersell the...
  4. K

    a BTKR in my future?

    I'm 37 and had a bilateral. My knees were gone and I really had no choice. Like you I may face a revision or other issue but I want to enjoy whatever time I have left be it four days or forty years. Honestly if your doctor is reluctant for whatever reason he might not be the best choice. You...
  5. K

    TKR 37 years old TKR 7 weeks today

    I'm 37 as well and I had a BTKR on May 28th. I had severe arthritis for about 15 years so my activity level was well below your pre-surgery levels. And your ROM is a bit above mine. I do not believe younger patients are in a worse position in this surgery, I do believe however that surgeons do...
  6. K

    TKR Back again!!!

    It is an individual choice. I loathed using the walker. I needed it for the first 10-11 days but at that point I was like "Can I try two canes." I used two canes and then went to a cane 8 days later. But it was about my preference.
  7. K

    31 years old, bilateral TKR in August...how to do the bathroom?

    That just seems like an energy drain. The first 13 days after TBKR I was so wiped after PT and OT I'd just either read or watch TV. I cannot imagine trying to paint or arrange flowers.
  8. K

    New here and scared about my upcoming surgery.

    I think all of us were scared before surgery. But I know for me the things I worried about were not even an issue. Also once you have the surgery its just easier to deal with whatever comes up. I had BTKR and I'm so glad I went that way. To me the notion of going back and having a second...
  9. K

    New to site - BTKR Aug 1st!!

    As a younger BTKR patient, 30's, I cannot recommend going to a rehab center enough. The twice daily therapy really kicked my recovery off-yes recovery is slow but I do feel I benefited time wise from the amount of therapy. I still have a long way to go but I feel like rehab gave me a good start...
  10. K

    TKR up date

    I'm a believer in PT but this guy sounds like a total bully. I would change therapists ASAP. My other question is did they put steri-strips on the areas where the wound had not totally closed. That would help alleviate your fears about the wound opening.
  11. K

    Bilateral TKR Luisa's road to recovery June 10th, 2013

    Luisa so glad you got some sleep.
  12. K

    Bilateral TKR Got out of surgery at about 5pm 6/4/2013

    When I took hydrocodone for my knees I felt it did little to nothing. I got switched to Tylenol 3 right after coming home b/c the hydrocodone was so useless. However, when I had my lovely kidney stone it worked well for that pain. But for my knees it was useless. Aleve worked better.
  13. K

    Bilateral TKR Luisa's road to recovery June 10th, 2013

    I had that pain horribly from about week three until week six. It would hit as you said late at night and then come and go for hours. But one day it literally just vanished. Gidem-Week three was still awful for me. Weeks five and six are when I observed some improvement. You'll need to give it...
  14. K

    Bilateral TKR Got out of surgery at about 5pm 6/4/2013

    I agree for me at five weeks I began lengthening the period between pain medicine does and by six weeks I was off them totally. Now I take Aleve and it seems to work as well as the pain pills and helps with the swelling. Gazelle you might ask about the sleeping issue perhaps another medicine...
  15. K

    Hi! I'm new here

    One thing I can say about the terror. The stuff I worried about presurgery wasn't a problem. I had problems as we all do but it wasn't the stuff I feared. Also I found it was much, much easier just to deal with the problems after surgery. The anticipation was so much worse than the consequence...
Back
Top Bottom