Guest viewing is limited

TKR Back again!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
^My PT & doc said what Puffin said.
 
It is an individual choice. I loathed using the walker. I needed it for the first 10-11 days but at that point I was like "Can I try two canes." I used two canes and then went to a cane 8 days later. But it was about my preference.
 
Go by the way you feel and the way you walk. (Can you walk in front of a mirror or have someone observe your gait)? If you don't yet feel confident walking unaided, then don't. You'll know when the time is right for you.
 
Thanks everyone.
Even having been through this twice before I feel like such a newbie at it all. It's so reassuring to come on here and have the support.
I do walk unaided in short spurts but it is very uncoordinated and ungainly. I do best with the walker at home and crutch/crutches when I go out. I have never been able to use a cane I must have been absent the day they handed out the gross motor skills required for using a cane. :happydance:
Thanks again everyone!!!!!! :)
 
Just had to post my first little bit of normality.........
I just drove to the shops.... :sigh: :dancy: :happydance: :spin: :yay:
Amazing how such little,routine things can brighten your day.
 
That's fantastic. I had always heard how important it was for people to participate in "activities of daily living," and then I found out why. Was this trip an errand trip or what we call in the US "retail therapy"?
 
That sounds so great and many, many, many more to come. Please take care and go slow. Tashia
 
Just an errand trip and I didn't get out of the car. I took my daughter with me to do the errands and in case I couldn't drive back. It was all good and even extended the drive a bit by going through a McDonald's drive through for a coffee on the way home. :beer:
 
Congratulations! I am three weeks in and one of the things I miss most is being able to drive. I feel very tethered to the house!
Smart to take someone with you in case and smart not to go in, just driving. I had surgery on July 5th and I don't feel like I am anywhere near being ale to drive yet, so I am envious!
 
Hi Aussie As you had RTKR 2008 I guess you are an old hand at this. There is every likelihood I will have to have my right knee done in the near future. Is it easier second time round? Is your left knee recovering in much the same way as your right? Carol
 
Yep, walk without aids when you feel ready and not one moment before. There is no must, should or ought about it. And it's quite possible your doctor was simply saying if you want to walk without aids there's no reason you can't.
 
Yep, walk without aids when you feel ready and not one moment before. There is no must, should or ought about it. And it's quite possible your doctor was simply saying if you want to walk without aids there's no reason you can't.

I agree while heartedly....no must or have to...your body will let you know if it feels right or not. I felt comfortable this past Tuesday to try the cane and only use my walker very first on the morning until My legs are warmed up and stretched out..... (If I need to go void my bladder before I work on my stretching or therapy). My PT said this is MY recovery....she's here to help and guide as I gain strength, not to set "standards" as what I have to comply with.

:cheers:
 
Funnily enough since writing this I have felt far more confident and comfortable wandering around the house unaided. As with Deedles8 I grab the walker first thing or when I'm up through the night when my leg feels more like a tree trunk than a functional limb.
So onward and upward, thanks again for the support and replies. :ok:
 
Yes DHenry I know that tethered feeling well. I am a foster carer so I always had somewhere to go and something to do, having to rely heavily on other people to do this now is one of my greatest challenges. When I drove the other day it was after a relatively good night's sleep, where even though I kept waking up I went straight back to sleep. Not so lucky last night so I haven't driven today.
Carol I was totally unprepared for this TKR, so many things I had forgotten. My older knee replacement was so successful and no problem for the past 4 - 5 years I had honestly put it all to the back of my mind. The memories are flooding back now. My daughter tells me it's all happening like it did last time. I'm looking forward to the day that the recovery here is just a distant memory again. Even if I had remembered I still would have had it done because of the pain free life it has afforded me once recovery was over. Best wishes to you.:dancy:
 
I am a month post op and am now down to one stick which I chose to do myself, indoors apart from getting up in the night and being slightly unsteady I use the stick but the rest of the time I do not need anything indoors. When I am outdoors then I use one stick and feel fine, I would say your legs will tell you when to reduce.

Sheila:friends:
 
I had a low grade fever with both my surgeries. I was also told it was common. Hope you're doing well.
 
When I had my right knee done I had to stay an extra night because my pulse rate went up too high. They gave me meds and it came down to normal (I still take it now). Left knee I was in recovery forever because my body temp was too low. Hope I don't need any more surgeries, who knows what will happen next time. :)
 
Hi everyone,

I just got through writing a huge 6 week post op catch up... All going fantastic!!!!

Just as I hit post the internet dropped out and it was gone. I know it was saving a draft somewhere, was that lost too or is there a way to retrieve that draft to save me doing it all again.

Cheers:spin:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom