Recent content by Justine15

  1. J

    Depression/post-op blues - open for all

    YES I have and it is so difficult - my original replacement in February got infected so they had to take it out and put in an antibiotic spacer and THEN I stepped wrong and broke my femur while at home. Still on crutches and the Doc says it had to totally heal before they replace another...
  2. J

    Hip Infection* Antibiotic hip spacer

    Hello! I had a complication...about 3 weeks ago while standing with my walker at my sink, I moved backwards and crumpled down in pain. Called 911 and back to hospital and surprise to me, my femur had snapped right at the point where the hip spacer ended in my femur. They had to split my femur to...
  3. J

    Hip Infection* Antibiotic hip spacer

    Thank you Jamie Good idea- I just got back from Overlake hospital where I do my daily infusion and of course I get wheeled from car to the seat where I have the infusion and it is SO NICE and stress free. That would work for the grocery store since those battery carts are usually dead or need a...
  4. J

    Hip Infection* Antibiotic hip spacer

    What did you use so your hands and arms did not get so sore? I have a trip to hospital every day and whether I use crutches or walker, I am still so sore!! And swollen until I get home and put my leg up
  5. J

    Hip Infection* Antibiotic hip spacer

    I go from accepting it to being ticked off that I cannot move around and back. But every time I use that "golfers reach" I think why didn't the hospital show me this? Life saver! So simple but I never would have thought of it. So I take my little victories as they come. The amount of time I...
  6. J

    Hip Infection* Antibiotic hip spacer

    Sounds like people have been through the exact stuff I am going through right now! 1 week past inserting the hip spacer and I am learning slowly how to cope. My house being small helps in some ways in the I have counters and surfaces to hold onto but also limits any equipment that can be used...
  7. J

    Hip Infection* Antibiotic hip spacer

    @myglasshalffull I too am a cleaning freak and when they told me maybe not vacuum for a while because if the PICC line in my arm I about had a nervous reaction right there! Not vacuum?? I could not imagine. But after pouting for a bit I asked my sister for help and she was happy to come over...
  8. J

    Hip Infection* Antibiotic hip spacer

    FIRST IV infusion of antibiotics (something starting with D) at Overlake and it went ok. It is so difficult to only toe touch on my left as I navigate places I always feel like oops I am doing it wrong But I ran into the PT nurse I had while in the hospital and she said great job and that it...
  9. J

    Hip Infection* Antibiotic hip spacer

    All good ideas plus I need to be reminded of ALL those things My 17 year old son helps a lot now but will be leaving for college in less than a month. I have a sister and brother and a friend from work who are all helping BUT I find it so difficult to ask and to let them Have to change my...
  10. J

    Hip Infection* Antibiotic hip spacer

    Fatigue is exactly what I am feeling Overwhelmed and sore and trying to figure out how to manage a household while using a walker - mentally and physically it is all a lot. I will make sure I remember to rest and that it's ok if I don't know how to get stuff done Just make sure I am fed and...
  11. J

    Hip Infection* Antibiotic hip spacer

    I am trying to find a way to remind myself that it is toe-touch only. I do it fine for half the steps then I put a little more pressure on it than I would want to and have to stop and rethink. Very difficult! Using both walker and crutches due to small house and giving arm muscles a break from...
  12. J

    Hip Infection* Antibiotic hip spacer

    Thanks @Hip4life Just got home this afternoon after lots of hospital back and forth about where I will go. I have a walker and crutches and using walker for now but later maybe crutches for spaces that work better with smaller support tools. YES toe-touch is already maddening and tiring but I am...
  13. J

    2026 July Sparklers - Are you having hip surgery in July

    Thank you! I am still learning all there is to know about finding things on this site SO much great info and I am starting to look at nutrition now too Just talked to my infectious disease doc today and discussed a lot of things coming up. *****I am at "the age where all of a sudden I have 10...
  14. J

    Hip Infection* Antibiotic hip spacer

    It's Monday and waiting for a PICC line to be placed. My surgeon has stopped by every day which has been reassuring (plus we talked about the World Cup and that was a fun side convo) Next step will be to eat well and listen to My body so that I can be strong and infection free for the new hip...
  15. J

    Hip Infection* Antibiotic hip spacer

    Thank you Layla The part about the "golfers reach" was brand new to me and I think will be very helpful to use during recovery. And I am going to get some of the scar spray because I will do ANYTHING to not have another infection -I know I have to already come back to Overlake in 2 months or so...
Back
Top Bottom