Recent content by jbrooklyn

  1. jbrooklyn

    Bilateral TKR jbrooklyn recovery: short-term loss for long-term gain.

    Thanks, Pumpkin and Rob. Sending good wishes your way.
  2. jbrooklyn

    Bilateral TKR jbrooklyn recovery: short-term loss for long-term gain.

    Hello, my friends- I hope you all are doing well. I haven't been here for over a year, though it seems impossible that that is so. I stopped posting a year-ish ago bc I got demoralized by chronic aches and pains. BTKR definitely improved things a lot . . . but I have had issues ever since...
  3. jbrooklyn

    Bilateral TKR July 1 LHop - Bilateral TKR Recovery Thread

    Hi, LHop. Happy 12-weekiversary! Mixed reviews, eh? But it does gradually improve. So glad to hear the shower was a success! If I remember right, you have a wedding in October, yes? I think you will be dancing there. :-) Could your behind-knee pain be uneven muscle strength? When you regain...
  4. jbrooklyn

    TKR Rob's Knew Knee

    Aw, Rob, sorry to hear you've hit a rough patch. It is such a journey of ups and downs. It sounds like your PT worked you overmuch, and that downshifting for a few days is called for. It's a drag that the timing is just when you're taking over your PT independently, but that's how the cookie has...
  5. jbrooklyn

    Bilateral TKR July 1 LHop - Bilateral TKR Recovery Thread

    @KarriB, bless you for that encouragement. LHop (hello, dear comrade!) and I are in similar places. There has been lots of improvement--I can take baths now without sobbing in a drained tub unable to get up. That is good! I can walk several miles without pain and swelling. Good stuff. But like...
  6. jbrooklyn

    TKR Over doing or not doing enough?

    That really makes sense (that you are wiped out), and you're wise to take the long view and give yourself a rest before pressing on. One advantage of having done athletics is that you know there is an ebb and flow of energy, and you recognize the messages your body gives you when you need to lay...
  7. jbrooklyn

    TKR Dearjr's new knee

    @Dearjr, very low risk of infection with acupuncture bc they use disposable needles. I have to say, I am surprised by what a large effect I experienced from one session. My tendonitis is way less swollen and painful. Tomorrow is round 2 of 3. Happy new year.
  8. jbrooklyn

    TKR Over doing or not doing enough?

    Thanks--I am very grateful to know more about the night aches and the hot feeling on my knees. Makes sense--and thanks for sharing how long it is likely to last. It feels easy to lose perspective and think it's always going to be how it is today, which would be miserable! Still really happy you...
  9. jbrooklyn

    TKR Dearjr's new knee

    @Dearjr, I see people are still trying relatively futilely to convince you not to do PT since you are working F/T so soon after surgery. :) Your OS wants you to do PT--but has he has TKR? People have funny ideas about what to do . . . but those with experience are telling you you will get there...
  10. jbrooklyn

    Bilateral TKR jbrooklyn recovery: short-term loss for long-term gain.

    @LHop and @MsBlue: The wonderful cooling gel my PT used is Sombra cooling gel. It is all natural, and is very very smooth, great for massaging sore knees deeply with way less pain. And, it relieves pain, and feels cool and minty for a while (30-60 min) after applying. I am definitely going to...
  11. jbrooklyn

    Bilateral TKR jbrooklyn recovery: short-term loss for long-term gain.

    @Celle, thanks for your comment. I woke up today with reduced swelling and pain. It was pretty striking, and I was surprised. But PT and a day in NYC have me back feeling my usual ouches. I will try the series of 3 sessions because it did seem to help momentarily this morning, and I'm curious...
  12. jbrooklyn

    Bilateral TKR jbrooklyn recovery: short-term loss for long-term gain.

    Hey, another question, friends: Has anyone tried acupuncture? I've been having such a terrible time with this quad tendonitis that I tried it today--first time ever. No miracles so far, but the practitioner said a series of 3 is most likely to help. Among the needles she places were 2 on tops...
  13. jbrooklyn

    Bilateral TKR jbrooklyn recovery: short-term loss for long-term gain.

    Thank you, @referee54! Nice to have a reality check from someone who had been there. Genuinely appreciate your reaching out.
  14. jbrooklyn

    Bilateral TKR Tracie's new knees

    @tdh_1, I had some in-home pt for about 5-6 weeks, then took off for 3-4 weeks, and just started outpatient PT. It depends what you want out of it, I think. I hope to rebuild strength I lost over the years of having arthritis, and I know that is going to take a long time. If you want to do more...
  15. jbrooklyn

    Bilateral TKR jbrooklyn recovery: short-term loss for long-term gain.

    Just a quick check in with my TKR contemporaries: Are you able to sit down and stand up with ease yet? It feels like such an important recovery hallmark, and I am nowhere near it. I don't feel I've even gotten much closer since surgery. I could not do it before, and have not done it since. I...
Back
Top Bottom