Recent content by ironclm

  1. ironclm

    How soon after TKR surgery can you go swimming?

    I am two years post TKR and swim with a masters team. I very very rarely do breaststroke, maybe 25 yards at a time, and even then I don’t fully kick. Just doesn’t feel right. Freestyle, backstroke and butterfly are all fine. Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
  2. ironclm

    Knee Scars - Post Your Badges of Honor Here! NO CHIT-CHAT please

    Current vs 1 year ago (2 days post-op).
  3. ironclm

    TKR ironclm's recovery

    Thanks everyone. Marian - We did a lot of practicing of walking "right" and it finally clicked in. A friend told me that he had never seen me walk without a limp (since we didn't meet until 2012), so that was nice to hear. Sunday I rode 15 miles and my lower leg muscles are a bit sore, but...
  4. ironclm

    TKR ironclm's recovery

    Thanks all! I feel pretty good today, considering the instructor made me squat down and fall over about five times and get back up off the ice. That was a little difficult. I definitely need to work on hip and core strength. But my knee feels fine. ⛸⛸⛸[emoji106] TKR 08/26/15 Sent from my...
  5. ironclm

    TKR ironclm's recovery

    So this happened Wednesday night. 3rd place out of 4). And today, I got back on ice skates. First time in probably 30 years. https://instagram.com/p/BHFUw03jnTe/ TKR 08/26/15 Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
  6. ironclm

    TKR ironclm's recovery

    Thanks all. And yes, there IS hope and light at the end of the tunnel. It took me 9 months to see it though! And, I start ice skating lessons next week! I skated as a kid on the pond in the winter but I want to learn how to skate correctly. Falling in love with hockey has done that. My...
  7. ironclm

    TKR ironclm's recovery

    Like skigirl said, PT is just one part of the recovery team. Coming from an athletic background PT has always been important, as is chiropractic, massage, coaches and training partners. And strengthening was just a very small part of what we did. A lot of manual therapy every session. Plus...
  8. ironclm

    TKR ironclm's recovery

    Thanks all. And in my former life I worked as an athletic trainer so I have a bit of knowledge going in to all of this. Here's a couple of pictures. The first one is last week. The second one is what I want to get back to. TKR 08/26/15 Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
  9. ironclm

    TKR ironclm's recovery

    Because I want to get back to high level athletic fitness and race my bike. If I were just going to putter around in the yard and walk the dog, I'd have been done ages ago. But my goal is to race next year at Masters Nationals. The first question to my surgeon at my first appointment was, "I...
  10. ironclm

    Revision TKR Totally recovered at last!

    Just catching up. Congrats on the new bike!! Gravel riding is very fun. I bought a new bike to do just that. It took me about 8 months to feel "normal" on the bike on the road. I've done two races and even last week, I STILL had the "if I fall my knee will shatter into pieces" thoughts...
  11. ironclm

    44 and scared!

    I had it at age 57 because I couldn't ride my bike without pain, or run, and I used to do Ironman triathlons and currently race bikes. I tried everything short of injections (huge needle phobia and personally do not believe in shooting cortisone into my body), but finally got to the point where...
  12. ironclm

    PKR fully straight knee

    I didn't get to 0 extension until 9 months post-op. As everyone has said, it will come.
  13. ironclm

    TKR ironclm's recovery

    I am officially sprung from PT - 295 days (or 9 months and 21 days) since the date of surgery. We've been working hard to get full strength back in my hips/quad so I can race my bike and get to where walking downstairs is pain free. Still not there on the stairs, but I'm feeling good on the...
  14. ironclm

    TKR PT Confusion

    Re getting back to full activities and feeling "normal" - It taken me nine full months to get there. I race bicycles and just in the last couple of weeks have I felt like I'm riding anywhere near like I used to. It is been a full nine months to get there. Also, going back to work and sitting...
  15. ironclm

    TKR ironclm's recovery

    Yes - just past 9 months for me to get there. I thought I'd never get there. TKR 08/26/15 Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
Back
Top Bottom